Burning smell at high speed?

Question Burning smell at high speed?

I have a Nissan Hardbody 3.0 Diesel. When the car has warmed up and is moving at high speed on a highway I get a strong smell of oil or burning diesel ? (Almost smells like a newly tarred road) When I stop the car and climb out I cannot trace the smell, there is no smoke and the car is performing perfectly!

Anybody have any idea what could be causing this ?

Thanks

My old 2.7 does that for about a 1000Km after every service. I have tried washing, taking to valet service, washing with petrol even, but the smell is there and thats it, can't do nothing about it.

Strange enough, the new engine also did it on its first service... I think I am leaving oil laying around on the chassis under the filter that slowly burns away..

Keep looking though until you feel more at ease about it (if that is possible).. Keep checking your oil level as well just in case.

Good Luck
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Maybe a bit off-topic but I had a problem along the same lines a while ago with an SLK Merc. Everytime we hit 250km/h it started making very weird noises. Then noticed Swambo hanging on for dear life screaming her lungs out.

Check your passengers, especially for the weird smell, you sure it smells like a tarred road and not something else?
    Rampie
    No Land Rover - Soon to change though

Question

Thinking about it, a few months ago the heavy duty hose running from the turbo into the engine pulled off. Ever since then I have been having the smell. Would this shed any light ?

Your tappet cover breather will be pushing air into the intake pipe before the turbo and could be expelling this air to a place where you could be smelling it from inside the car.

While idling, pull off the breather and see if the smell on the end of the pipe is the same as you get inside the car, check the pipe you say came off for further leaks or damage from the blowoff...

That breather pipe transports some nasty smelling humid oil vapor. On my previous engine I found the intake caked up with oil residue that was literally a centimeter thick after 200K km. If you have an inter cooler, it will be clogging that up and will need to be cleaned periodically as well. What I did was extend that breather to below the car where it expels exactly 2 drops of oil every about 100KM that condensates in the pipe.

This is the second engine I have done this with and I can't find anything bad coming out of the practice besides and nice clean intake...(Run LPG for a while and see how it scrubs the inside of the intake shiny clean...)

my2c
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Will try this when I get home. Thanks for the input. This forum is an incredible find!