Trans-Africa self-drive trip June 2015. Advice requested for Tanzania Northern Safari

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trans-Africa self-drive trip June 2015. Advice requested for Tanzania Northern Safari

Introduction: We plan to travel alone in our well-kitted Land Cruiser 76 series during 2015 and into 2016. We will be taking the East African route as far north as Egypt or Sudan and are setting off mid-April. The northern route will be more towards the west. We will then drive all the way back south, but taking a more easterly and partly coastal route. Our route and time schedule are very flexible but we are set on visiting the more out-of-the-way destinations, with an emphasis on the game reserves.
    We have already received fantastic forum advice for our Northern Zambian http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=212343 and South-western Tanzanian legs http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=212509
    I would be most appreciative of any advice and comments on our very provisional schedule for the Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro and Serengeti areas. Any refining of our projected schedule would be great. Although I am aware that there are a fair number of forum members that have undertaken self-drive trips to these game reserves, I am also conscious that I am dabbling in the art of diminishing returns here, the further north the smaller the pool of knowledge. To those that already have offered considerable advice, thanks again.

PLAN:We hope to reach these areas in mid to late June or even July, but are not setting any deadlines at all.
    *After Selous proceed to Kigoma and JACOBSEN BEACH CAMPING (S4 54 37.4 E29 35 55.7) at Lake Tanganyika. Camping/chalets. Visit Livingstone’s Ujiji.
    “We took boats to Mahale and to Gombe to see the chimps and Gombe gets my vote. We had chimps all around us in Gombe brushing our legs as they walked past as well as amazing encounters with olive baboons. There is no camping at Gombe though and access is only by boat”. There does appear to be camping at Gombe but self-catering Banda best if staying overnight.
    *Gombe Streams NP. Chimps. Investigate stay and boat trip from Kigoma if no success Mahale NP. Self-catering chalets/camping/lodge.

Email from Louise Horsfall of Lakeshore Lodge, Kipili, Lake Tanganyika (2/2015).
    "To visit the chimps, the easiest and cheapest option is for you to drive from Lake Shore Lodge to Kigoma (through Katavi National park which is well worth a stay). You can then do a day trip from Kigoma to Gombe Stream National Park. You would do this by boat and there are several places that offer the boat trips to Gombe.
    Yes, we are in the process of looking at buying and building a big catamaran boat but it is not finished yet, so sadly this will not be an option until 2016."

*West on A7, north on A104, at Dodoma (New Dodoma Hotel formerly known as the Railway Hotel S6° 11.069' E35° 44.918'), turn northwest on B129 via Manyoni (Jabolo), then B141 via Singida. This is best route, tar road north-east to Babati. At Singida possibly camp/room at Aqua Vita Resort S4° 48.323' E34° 44.231'

*On A104 to Tarangire NP. Camp outside park first night at ZION S3° 41.909' E35° 56.854' (closer to gate) or possibly PARADISE CAMP S3° 43.766' E35° 52.916' (? better view).
    Then to Public campsite: 5Km south from the park gate. Perhaps try to get Special Campsite in Tarangire, in the Matete River area where most of the game is, ?(Mbweha, Mibuyumingi, Kware, Kanga, Teminalia, Mlegea, Mbuni, Njiwa, Hondohondo, Mumbi, Lamakau and Minyonyo).

*Mto wa Mba and Lake Manyara:
    Most prefer Tarangire. Lake Manyara possibly better in wet season, “in late dry season the lake water is very far from the road”.
    First night stay outside park at PANORAMA/TWIGA/WILD FIG Campsites. Another highly rated camp is SUNBRIGHT MANYARA CAMP S3° 22.315' E35° 52.218'
    Look into Special Campsites, Endabash Riverside or Lakeside/Bagayo A or B campsites.
    ROUTE: “For a good view of the park, drive directly to Hippo Pools (S3° 24’50.6’’ E35° 50’17.3’’). Stay on the road that runs along the lake, it enters the woods now and then, but brings you back to the lake up to Endala Picnic Site (S3° 28’50.1’’ E35° 47’24.5’’). Take the top road back to the gate through the forest. This will give you the best view of what Lake Manyara has to offer”.
    Lake Manyara – and Tarangire National Park Fees: - $35 per person per 24h; - $40 per vehicle per 24h.

*Arusha: Book special campsites if available (see Veronica Roodt map) for Serengeti at TANAPA HQ, depending on where migration is. In JUNE/ early JULY migration is perhaps in central area around Seronera. In late JULY/AUG it is likely to be around the Grumeti River, Western Corridor and Lobo Hills areas. At Seronera the special sites are: Seronera 1 - 5 only a few km away from Seronera itself. Seronera 6 is a bit further. Turner Springs A, B and C are also nearby.
    Shoprite (S3° 22’ 321’’ E36° 40’ 447’’).
    ARUSHA NP: “Underrated”. Three main campsites, at $30 per person, and a few "special campsites" at $50, as well as basic bandas. Mt Meru.
    Stay at MESERANI SNAKE PARK S3° 24.592' E36° 28.997', before Arusha (dusty, noisy, many overland trucks), or MASAI CAMPSITE in Arusha S3 23 07.0 E36 43 11.3 (Not much better. Loud disco open to locals every Fri & Sat).
    Ask “Ma” at Meserani about tolls and if worthwhile visiting the otherwise spectacular LAKE NATRON. If do decide to visit Lake Natron and the active volcano Il Doinyo l’Engai , stay at the Lake Natron River Campsite S2° 37.177' E35° 52.827', which is well run & functional.
    “The HUGE disappointment is the total rip-off & tourist-trap that the trip to Lake Natron has recently turned into. To simply drive the route from Mto wa Mbu to Engare Sero you have to pay $90 (for two people & a foreign registered vehicle) at 3 ‘official’ checkpoints where you are charged respectively: $10 p/person; $10 p/person; $10 p/person plus $30 for the car. At the final checkpoint you are less than 5 km from Lake Natron. HOWEVER - every move from that point onwards you will be tripped up by an ‘official’ telling you to pay $10 each to visit the waterfall; $10 each to visit the lake; $10 each to drive to the base of Mt Lengai.... Aaaaaagh! Also the Masai here are a pain - aggressive if you don’t buy anything or just hand out money. A very frustrating place to visit. In our opinion, not worth the bother, Sad.”

Entry and camping fees for Serengeti ARE payable with both Visa and Master card at the Park gate. Visa is however more widely accepted in East Africa. Card is not accepted for payment in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area [NCA].” I believe the best is to pay all NCA fees in US$ cash at the Exim Bank in Karatu, which is 15kms from the NCA Main Gate and you pass the Bank on the main road through Karatu on your way to the NCA”.

*Arusha to Karatu KUDU CAMPSITE (S3 20 56.0 E35 40 09.0)
    Book and pay for NGORONGORO CRATER, book 48 hours.
    “If you are doing self-drive into the crater you are expected to have a park guide accompany you in your vehicle. If you wish to avoid this because you don’t have space (like we didn’t), you will need to obtain permission from the Conservation Area’s Head Park Ranger, located at the Park Head Office in Karatu (check T4A for location). You will need to convince the Head Ranger that you don’t require a guide (think being in the school principal’s office) and received a note to show at the crater entry. Without this note you can expect hassles”.

Stay at SIMBA CAMPSITE A (S03°13.688 E035°29.405)
    Drive into Crater for day, 6H00 start.

Ngorongoro Conservation Area rates. For two of us USD 400/day. Apparently cannot pay with Visa card.
    •USD200 vehicle entry into the crater per day, single entry
    •USD40 foreign car entry into the conservation area per 24Hrs (10 000 Tanzania Shillings)
    •USD50 per person for park entry for 24Hrs
    •USD30 per person for camping per night
    PLUS, USD20 for guide.

It is important to get your timing right. If you would like to visit a Masai village, Olduvai Gorge and Shifting Sands the next day, you will need to get an extra 24h entrance permit per person and per vehicle to make it to Naabi Hills gate in time and avoid paying a fine!!!!

*SERENGETI via OLDUVAAI GORGE. S2° 59.481' E35° 21.332'. Just before the Olduvai Gorge turn off there is a local Masai Village that you can visit at $15 per person. Here you can take photos (free).
    Enter via Naabi Hill Gate (S17°53.218 E025°50.670) to Lake Ndutu or Seronera first. ? Special or Public Campsites.

SERENGETI FEES. For the 2 of us in special campsites USD 200/day. Pay with Visa card.
    All valid for single entry and 24 hours only:
    •USD40 foreign car entry
    •USD50 per person for park entry
    •USD30 per person for camping/USD 50 FOR SPECIAL CAMP.
    Guard?

GRUMETI, LOBO HILLS and WESTERN CORRIDOR areas and perhaps Special Campsite here.
    Fuel and workshop at Seronera.
    Out at Ndabaka Gate S2° 11.568' E33° 52.407'. Camp SERENGETI STOPOVER S2° 12.144' E33° 51.866'

MIGRATION: can vary. Need to check closer to the time.

Grumeti River in Western Corridor crossed typically in June/July.
    Mara River in north-west crossed typically in August.
    Calving typically in Ndutu area NCA-Serengeti border in late Jan into Feb.
    MIGRATION:
    Dec-May: Southeast
    May-July: Western Corridor
    July-Oct: Mara River area
    Oct-Nov: Lobo area and Maasai Mara.

*Mwanza, Lake Victoria, camping MWANZA YACHT CLUB, better is TUNZA LODGE (S2 27.045 E32 54.112) superb position on a sandy, bilharzia-free stretch of beach 10km north of Mwanza town center.

*Kikongo Ferry across Mwanza Gulf to B8.
    Ferry timetable from Bukoba to Mwanza
    Monday, Weds, Friday
    Ferry timetable from Mwanza to Bukoba
    Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday
    DEPARTURE TIME 0900pm at every place. STOPPING KEMONDO
    ARRIVING TIME 0600 am-0830am

Consider leaving the vehicles in Muganza S2° 22.554' E31° 44.154' and taking a parks boat to Rubondo Island NP – “incredibly beautiful”.
    RUSUMO BORDER POST, RWANDA. S2° 22.957' E30° 46.951' A couple of hours before the border if need be, camp at BIHARAMULO FORT (S2 37.903 E31 18.295) (AKA BOMA GUEST HOUSE and camping), reasonable facilities.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

I find the admin for entering the Ngorongoro Crater Area (NCA) most confusing. Could anyone please check through our proposed checklist?

Fees: entry, camping, vehicle and guide payable at most local banks. Barclay's, Exim etc. Bank will issue a deposit slip confirming payment. Need to carefully check the exact fees before paying. Best to do bank transaction either in Arusha or Karatu.

This deposit slip is used to obtain the Ngorongoro Entry Card from the following 3 Points Of Issue.
    1) Arusha, NCA Authority Information Center (opposite Air Tanzania Corporation offices and near the Tanzania Tourist Board office).
    2) Lodoare Main Entrance Gate to NCA.
    3) Tourism Office at NCAA HQ, Ngorongoro branch located at Ngorongoro Lodge.
    4) Naabi Hill Gate in Serengeti NP.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Stan you know this time I can't really help.

Lake Manyara: Endabash Riverside should be a public campsite but in the bush without a view. Bagayo A should be the nice special campsite.

I untouch our plan for June. Maybe it helps very little to get your ideas in an order.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Christa, you are well organized!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Stan, you should investigate what it would cost to go into the Crater with an operator - when I was last there (it WAS 10 or so years ago) it was far cheaper to go in with an operator than with your own vehicle. Also, be very careful if you stop at the view sites for a picnic - the YBKs (called Black Kites up there, I believe) WILL swoop and try and steal anything they can. Liz actually got quite a nasty cut on her scalp because one went for her black hair - must've thought she was a melanistic dassie!

Last time I was in Mwanza I stayed at Tunza Lodge on the beach. I can't remember whether or not they had camping as I was on a work trip, but it was very pleasant, with good food. We had lunch at the Yacht Club and I remember thinking that it didn't look very secure.

If you go to Nansio on Ukerewe Island (causeway from the mainland) on Lake Victoria, you can camp on the lakeshore in the hotel's grounds. It's about a 120km drive from the Serengeti's Ndabaka Gate via Baridi. Big reason for going there is that there is some excellent Nile perch fishing off the rocky cliffs and headlands if you can hire a boat - pack a few Rapalas for this. The boat trip around the island is also really beautiful - I did the whole coast from Mwanza to Ukerewe Island by boat with Kingsley, and this was the most beautiful part of the eastern shore that we encountered. Do watch the weather carefully if you go by boat - the storms can come up fast and it's amazing how big the waves get very fast.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/02/23 at 06:00 PM.

Stan
    If you are interested here are some of my pictures from our trip to Tanzania.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/leveyp...7620488577884/

When we went to Rubondo Island we left our vehicles at Muhango Guest House (S2.37483 E31.73804) in Muganza and they were perfectly safe. We took the TANAPA boat to Rubondo Island.

Peter

Stan

I have sent you by email my thoughts on your sortie to N Tanzania. I hope it is useful.

Default Ukerewe Island

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post

If you go to Nansio on Ukerewe Island (causeway from the mainland) on Lake Victoria, you can camp on the lakeshore in the hotel's grounds. It's about a 120km drive from the Serengeti's Ndabaka Gate via Baridi. Big reason for going there is that there is some excellent Nile perch fishing off the rocky cliffs and headlands if you can hire a boat - pack a few Rapalas for this. The boat trip around the island is also really beautiful - I did the whole coast from Mwanza to Ukerewe Island by boat with Kingsley, and this was the most beautiful part of the eastern shore that we encountered. Do watch the weather carefully if you go by boat - the storms can come up fast and it's amazing how big the waves get very fast.
    There ISN'T a causeway from the mainland to Ukerewe island - it is a ferry. We camped in the grounds of Monarch Beach Resort on Ukerewe Island in February 2014. We were given the keys to a room for the loo and shower. The staff were very sweet, but there were odd goings-on in the night in the hotel! It is a long rough road 98 km from Bunda (not Baridi) to the ferry ramp, and you might have to wait a few hours for the ferry.

With so many other things to see in Tanzania, it is not really worth the detour, I would say. But then we have been lucky enough to visit most places in TZ, so went to Ukerewe Island as an intriguing destination.

Default Camping in Mwanza

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post

Last time I was in Mwanza I stayed at Tunza Lodge on the beach. I can't remember whether or not they had camping as I was on a work trip, but it was very pleasant, with good food. We had lunch at the Yacht Club and I remember thinking that it didn't look very secure.
    The Yacht Club has an askari (guard) and we felt perfectly safe in February 2014. We never leave valuables in a tent, however. There is not such an issue about security in TZ as there is in Kenya. It is also right next door to the up-market Tilapia hotel, and is near the town centre.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Lake Manyara / Tarangire: camp outside, Paradise / Zion and try to use a 24 hrs permint for two days,
    first day entering 12 to 6, nerxt day 6 to 12, but ask for permission before you buy.
    Both campsites are close enought to drive into the parks in short time.

Selous to Kigoma: You miss Ruaha NP and Katavi NP with the route you are planning.
    NgoroNgoro Crater: We did not need a guide when we told them we are full and we also did not need permission from anybody.

We drove 2011 to the gate (came other direction) and bought permits for the next day, next day we arrived at the gate at 6 o clock and nobody was keen looking for a guide or anything else.

Serengeti: Lobo is worth to stay some days, just be careful about the local baboons.
    Don't let anything at your campsite while on gamedrive.

Dodoma: Veta Hotel (Hotel School) is a very cheap option to stay overnight. S6 10.933 E35 45.558

ENJOY !

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    There ISN'T a causeway from the mainland to Ukerewe island - it is a ferry. .
    Memory fail there! I can blame it on the fact that we went in by boat and then I left on the MV Serengeti, so I didn't actually drive in - I made a note that the drivers of the support vehicle said they crossed a causeway.
    Yes, the hotel does cater for "short stay clients" - main reason for going there is the Nile perch fishing. The perch favour those deep drop offs from the cliffs and rocks.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/02/23 at 06:56 PM.

Hello Stan,

only a few thoughts – of course OUR PERSONAL impressions – on Lake Ndutu and Seronera.
    We came back from Northern Tansania ~ 1 week ago.

To be honest, along with several highlists, we also had a few lowlights.

1. Lake Ndutu (we stayed on the NCA side)
      We were a bit unlucky with the migration. Due to a lack of rain the migration had already left for Maswa Game Reserve so wildlife (incl. predetors) was pretty scarce (we spent a total of 3 nights in the area). While we are aware that weather and migration is fairly unpredictable, the main reason for our disappointment was the incredible number of game drive vehicles (from at least 8 mobile tented camps with God knows how many tents in the Lake Ndutu NCA & Serengeti area).

Game drive and service vehicles pumping water for nearby tented camps and Safari Lodge were constantly cruising around Lake Ndutu during daytime and even until ~ 22h00 at night, so it was constant “acoustic and optic pollution” near our special campsite (though it had a very nice view of the Lake).

The number of game drive vehicles around predetors was apaling. All guides in the area were obviously informed by their colleagues that there was a special sighting and as soon as lions or leopards were sighted the poor animals were harassed by an endless convoy of vehicles. We saw one leopard on a tree that was surrounded by ~ 20 vehicles, again later in the Seronera area.

1. Serengeti Seronera
      We had booked special campsite SERO01. It would have been a very nice campsite but was blocked by – guess what? – a mobile tented camp (this also happened to us at Lake Ndutu). We were then assigned SERO04 which was nice but nowhere as good as SERO01.
      Otherwise Seronera had the same problem as Lake Ndutu: Game drive vehicles galore leading to a circus-like ambiance.
    2. Serengeti Turner Springs:
      We did an afternoon drive to Turner Springs with the intention to just stay there instead of at SERO04. Alas, again a mobile tented camp there and plenty of tsetses so we did not try. Otherwise, we would definetly stay at Turner Springs instead of Seronera. Plenty of buffaloes in this area at that time.
    3. Serengeti Moru Kopjes
      This was by far the most peaceful and adventurous place where we camped (Moru04).
      Very low number of vehicles, excellent sightings of wildlife, breathtaking special campsite.
    4. Tarangire NP

This park is an absolute gem, even in wet season. Beautiful landscape, a real river to speak of and plenty of impressive baobab trees and elephants. Wildlife is said to be prolific in the dry season.
    We had reserved 2 nights at Kware special campsite, surrounded by 4 beautiful baobabs. Alas we could not spend the night there due to the incredible number of tsetse flies
    We stayed at the public campsite instead. Though it does not have a special location like the special campsites it was nice, quiet and very clean.

I will start with a trip report soon. If you want impressions of Kware and Moru (in the dry season) you can check out http://bert-and-bin.smugmug.com – a fine TR from 2 Canadians which led me to Moru and Kware SC.

In any case bear in mind that this is OUR impression. Others rave about Ndutu and possibly even about Seronera.

Happy trip planning. It must be a hell of a job to do a planning for so many countries.

Anne

Already a fantastic response from some old, some new and some forum friends. Thanks to all. I will absorb all of this over the next few days. Much of the hard fact is easily accessible, it is the personal impressions from like-minded people that seem to be the most helpful.

Thanks to all. Don't stop now!

I will be taking fishing kit Tony and some deep diver Rapalas. Any fishing tips for East Africa (fresh and salt water) will be welcome but unfortunately I am not a fly fisherman.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2015/02/23 at 08:29 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Quote Originally Posted by leveypa View Post
    Stan
    If you are interested here are some of my pictures from our trip to Tanzania.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/leveyp...7620488577884/

When we went to Rubondo Island we left our vehicles at Muhango Guest House (S2.37483 E31.73804) in Muganza and they were perfectly safe. We took the TANAPA boat to Rubondo Island.

Peter
    Thank you Peter for pointing me towards your photos of the Lake Tanganyika and Victoria vicinities. I would suggest that anyone with an interest in this area has a good look at them. A picture tells the story! Could I please bother you for some more detail if possible?

Overlapping with my previous thread on South-western Tanzania, I see you visited Lake Rukwa and then went on to Katavi. After Kipili on the lake and then Katavi, I am looking at driving due south to Mbeya to reach Ruaha. This route would be on a seldom-used road that I think you might have covered. Katavi - Mpande - Rungwa - Makongolosi and Chunya would be the proposed route. Can you give me any pointers at all? Do you think it would be a good idea to veer slightly off this route to visit and perhaps bush camp at Lake Rukwa?

Do you think Lubondo Island on Lake Victoria is worth a visit and what is the setup there for Nile Perch fishing?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    Lake Manyara / Tarangire: camp outside, Paradise / Zion and try to use a 24 hrs permint for two days,
    first day entering 12 to 6, nerxt day 6 to 12, but ask for permission before you buy.
    Both campsites are close enought to drive into the parks in short time.

Selous to Kigoma: You miss Ruaha NP and Katavi NP with the route you are planning.
    NgoroNgoro Crater: We did not need a guide when we told them we are full and we also did not need permission from anybody.

We drove 2011 to the gate (came other direction) and bought permits for the next day, next day we arrived at the gate at 6 o clock and nobody was keen looking for a guide or anything else.

Serengeti: Lobo is worth to stay some days, just be careful about the local baboons.
    Don't let anything at your campsite while on gamedrive.

Dodoma: Veta Hotel (Hotel School) is a very cheap option to stay overnight. S6 10.933 E35 45.558

ENJOY !
    Thank you very much. No we will not miss Ruaha and Katavi, see my previous thread http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=212509. Apologies for the confusion, but perhaps I should have posted all my queries on one thread?

I have noted your tips and the Veta Hotel. When you advise leaving nothing in your campsite when out on a drive, does this mean that items like camping tables and chairs may go missing?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Anne W. I sincerely hope you will be able to post your trip report before we hit the road in mid-April .

Thank you for your heads up on the congestion in the southern and Seronera sections of Serengeti. The special campsites we would attempt to book on arrval will be determined to some extent on the migration in about mid-June. Serengeti Moru Koppies has been noted.

Perhaps in Tarangire Kware special campsite would have less tse tses outside the rainy season? I will investigate the trip report suggested. Thank you Anne!
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2015/02/23 at 09:38 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    I will be taking fishing kit Tony and some deep diver Rapalas. Any fishing tips for East Africa (fresh and salt water) will be welcome but unfortunately I am not a fly fisherman.
    Hi Stan, make sure the Rapalas have adjustable lips - depending on the upwelling, the perch are often only one or two metres down. And it is the best eating fish I have ever tasted. No problems re catch and release as they are actually a problem - introduced predator that has devastated the cyclid population of Lake Victoria. Another technique we used on Lake Turkana, where the Nile perch get up to 100 pounds and more, was to use a surf rod and Penn 501 and drift live bait out using an inflated condom as the float. I got hammered there by some really huge perch, biggest I managed to land was about 40 pounds, but I got broken up by some really big b++ ggers.
    Re tsetse flies in camps - don't forget the old burning elephant dung solution, works like a bomb to keep tsetses and mozzies at bay.

..unfortunately I am not a fly fisherman.
    Almost worth doing a crash course and investing in a five weight rod and gear - there is fabulous trout fishing in Malawi (Zomba and Nyika, albeit small fish), Tanzania around Iringa, Kenya (Mount Kenya, Aberdares, Cherangani Hills etc), Uganda (Ruwenzoris) and Ethiopia (Bale Mountains). I'll email you the two part series I did for The Complete Flyfisherman.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/02/24 at 12:04 AM.

Ja Tony, you fundies make it look so easy having flipped flies since childhood. It's a disgrace really seeing I grew up so close to the trout fishing areas of the Kraai, Mooi and other rivers. Some of school chums lived on the very farms these rivers run through. I am tired of fishing flies out of trees.

The destinations you describe are worth visiting in their own right, trout or no trout. I enjoyed your fishing articles, thank you.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Overlapping with my previous thread on South-western Tanzania, I see you visited Lake Rukwa and then went on to Katavi. After Kipili on the lake and then Katavi, I am looking at driving due south to Mbeya to reach Ruaha. This route would be on a seldom-used road that I think you might have covered. Katavi - Mpande - Rungwa - Makongolosi and Chunya would be the proposed route. Can you give me any pointers at all? Do you think it would be a good idea to veer slightly off this route to visit and perhaps bush camp at Lake Rukwa?

Do you think Lubondo Island on Lake Victoria is worth a visit and what is the setup there for Nile Perch fishing?
    Hi Stan,
    We drove from Mbeya via to Chunya to Makongolosi and bush camped about 8km short of Makongolosi. This was a scenic twisty route along ridges with great views. We then continued to Saza and then made our way to the shores of Lake Rukwa where we had a great bush camp right on the lake shore. We cleared it with the locals first and we weren't bothered by them at all - the village was some distance away from the lake shore. The roads around the lake are little more than tracks through the bush and take time to negotiate.

I'm not sure where exactly your route lies but expect similar conditions along the lake. So yes, I would make a slight detour to camp at the lake - it is a special place and if you can include a visit to the Cathedral at Galula (S8.60787 E33.02576) which is amazing that would work nicely.

In your shoes I would probably give Rubondo Island National Park a miss as it is a long way out of your way. It is beautiful and fishing for Nile perch is done, but you are pretty much limited to a small section of the island with a hike or so about the only activities if you're not fishing or birding. We had a great time there though as we were 'guests' of TANAPA and the head ranger took us on a boat trip around the island where we recovered over 6km of fishing lines and hooks that had been set by poachers. This gave us a fantastic view of places around the island. We were also taken by official parks Land Rover to remote ranger stations. Without these trips we wouldn't have enjoyed it so much.

I've attached the tracks of the Lake Rukwa area we recorded.

Cheers
    Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast