New Owner of 2007 Touareg 3.0 TDi V6 - A Documented Journey Begins

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default New Owner of 2007 Touareg 3.0 TDi V6 - A Documented Journey Begins

A warm greeting to all my fellow Touareg owners.

I am proud to finally be the owner of one of these remarkable and probably most understated vehicles.

Your group has been a very valuable source of knowledge for aiding in my research into which model to decide on buying. I must also thank Kortgat for all his help in answering questions I had and also advising me on some information that I was not familiar with.

I received my Touareg Sunday afternoon 15 February at 17:37 where I had to go fetch it from the carrier company half way to Cape Town where my Fiancé and I waited the whole Valentines weekend for it to come. I had bought it on Monday 9 February and paid for a carrier to take it to Cape Town. What a nightmare it was trying to get them to have the car here in time for a Valentines weekend trip. Needless to say they completely destroyed everything with their inability to manage. But enough of that...

When I finally found the car that got my attention, 2007 Model, Silver with back spare wheel and air suspension 130 000km's I contacted Kortgat and asked for help in how to choose. He advised me to contact Tim Legge and talk to him. I explained to Tim that I am in Vredenburg and the car is in Vereniging. Flying up and inspecting the car was not an option for me. Then he gave me the best advice. Have the dealer take it to VW for an 80 point test. This will be better than even I could do by just looking at the car and driving it.

I arranged with Duttons VW and paid for the 80 point test. The dealer took the car in and I received my report at R780.

Three things were of concern.
    1. The foot break shock was not functioning 100% and needed to be lifted slightly with the foot to cancel the warning light

2. The front disk brake have a slight ridge on them and might need replacing soon.

3. Sporadic fault detected - Electronic Manifold Runner Flaps.

VW's quote for fixing all of these...
    R20 000.00

So I decided to buy it...

Now...
    Knowing these Faults I would like to have your input please...

Kortgat, you know what I did but I would like some input from the forum members before I tell you what I did...

Regards
    Karoo Klong
    Last edited by Karoo Klong; 2015/02/22 at 04:43 PM.

I dont enjoy the wait on threads like this,this is a forum to help and get help from others.

Michiel, think just go ahead and spill the beans. All I can say is the V6 TDI guys can get excited, as we may have found a Marius equivalent in you, but focused on the V6 TDI. Welcome to the community and all the best with the Treg!
    Last edited by Kortgat; 2015/02/22 at 09:00 PM.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    2010 Bombardier Electrostar 746 kw - Gautrain (Daily Commute)

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

yeah man. spill the beans. mine is currently getting a new side mirror fitted. but after I need to start looking at a couple of small issues

Welcome to the forum KK, and congrats on the purchase.

The T'reg is on my list of possibles, they seem to be very underrated.

Do you mind letting us know what you paid for it?

sounds like small issues. Those can probably be sorted at a 1/4 of the quoted price.

Post some photos.....

Welcome to the world of understated refinement, capability and luxury!

Well I have so much to share with you all and so little time.

After learning about the runner flap error on the car it kept me up all night. I started searching what the cause of it is and spoke to a VW technician that was one of the first trained on the Touaregs when they came out.
    He confirmed what I already suspected. The problem lies with the linkage arm between the Servo motor and the Runner flaps. The ball joint starts wearing down from dust that creeps in. But he also still, like VW, replaces the whole intake @ R6300 each and it is reccomended to replace both sides.
    After intense research I found a part number to replace just the linkage arm and the link to the runner flap.
    And the cost.....
    R171.95 each.

And that's why I decided to buy my Touareg for R208k all inclusive
    Last edited by Karoo Klong; 2017/02/08 at 07:31 PM. Reason: My spelling sucks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Karoo Klong For This Useful Post:

I ordered the part from my local dealer on Tuesday so I had to wait two days for it. Wednesday at 11 o'clock I got a call. It was already there!!!!
    So that evening I faced the beast head on while my Fiancé was busy packing away the 1000 pieces of braai wood she had ordered for delivery that evening.

I pulled the cover off carefully and stared at a myriad of pipes, tubes and wires crossing the intake manifold. My heart sank down to my shoes. But it has to be done and I don't like driving with that engine light on. I started with the left intake bank and it took me a mere 15 minutes to do the swop. I took loads of photos but I still need to figure out how to share them with you. (Any help with that please? I can share from my google dive)

The right bank was not that easy. The arm is inverted from that of the left bank and as there is no way to get a hand in there it requires the removal of the manifold to be able to replace the part. I undid the top of the arm and the botom of it popped out by itself, thus showing rather advanced wear. I started loosening the skrews with a Torx 30 socket and droped the second one down the top of the motor. Somewhere down that V. I tried fishing around with the telescopic magnetic thingy but only managed to get it stuck. Surina eventually came to help search for it. I then gave up hope and decided I'll just buy a new one tomorrow.

After geting the intake off I loosenened the servo motor and broke the retaining clip on the plug from it. Also broke a cable tie that held the wiring to the engine bracket. Nothing big though but that kind of thing gets under my skin and I will replace it when I get time again. Then I managed to manoeuvre the servo motor out with some radical tetris playing skills. I loosened the manifold itself and tried moving it but alas it was not to be moved. I loosened 3 injector pipes (lost about 20ml of diesel) and a waterport with a rather anoying bracket that holds the manifold down. I almost lost the aluminium washer on that and stuck a wire in the hole trying to prevent the washer from falling away. I then twisted and turned to get the manifold out. Finaly I could inspect the ports and replace the part.

I cleaned the dust from the intake ports with a vacuum cleaner and started assembling everything again. As I pulled the wire out to get the water port back in I heard a gargle and suddely a stream of pink water spew out! To my horror I watched the washer flush away! About 2 litres of antifreeze spew out till it stopped. I rigged up a straw to the vacuum cleaner and sucked 1.5 litres of antifreeze up from the engine top. While getting the last bit out I found the missing screw and then as I looked up, the washer as well! I bolted everything back together and made sure everything was tight and in the right place. Packed away all my tools and made sure all was accounted for.

23:30 I started the beast up and as expected the starter swung for about 7 seconds due to air in the fuel system.

But THE ENGINE WARNING LIGHT WAS GONE!!!! Only to be replaced by low coolant warning. Haha. I pulled her in the Garrage and by that time the Fiancé was also finished with packing the fire wood.

The next day I bought two bottles of G12+ and mixed it 40-60. Thus 800ml antifreze to 1200ml purified drinking water to make up for the lost 2 litres. Again she started up rather long and I took her for a good drive to clean the air out the system. Now all is good an fine!

I'll tell you the rest tomorrow.

Ek gaan nou gou 'n steak, mielies en 'n knoffel broodjie op die kole gooi.
    Last edited by Karoo Klong; 2017/02/08 at 07:33 PM. Reason: My spelling sucks

Thank you for the warm welcoming.

Here is a picture of my Beast. I played around trying to upload pictures and now it seems that you cannot delete a post once you have posted it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8g...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Karoo Klong; 2017/02/08 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Played around trying to post pictures and cannot seem to delete the message.

Congrats, that is a nice looking car.

Where in Vereeniging did you buy it?

I bought it from Leon Swanepoel at Barrage Auto.
    We butted heads in the beginning and the reviews I saw from them on Hellopeter made me weary. I confronted him about this and turnes out a story always has two sides to it.
    Buying second hand can be a nightmare and when buying blindly from 1400km's away can be nerve wrecking.

I must say Leon gave me excellent service and was most helpfull with keeping in touch, sending lots of pictures and taking the car to VW for me to do the 80 point test.

Come to think of it, I should head on over to Hellopeter and give them a decent review as they made buying the car a more pleasant experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Karoo Klong View Post
    I bought it from Leon Swanepoel at Barrage Auto.
    We butted heads in the beginning and the reviews I saw from them on Hellopeter made me weary. I confronted him about this and turnes out a story always has two sides to it.
    Buying second hand can be a nightmare and when buying blindly from 1400km's away can be nerve wrecking.

I must say Leon gave me excellent service and was most helpfull with keeping in touch, sending lots of pictures and taking the car to VW for me to do the 80 point test.

Come to think of it, I should head on over to Hellopeter and give them a decent review as they made buying the car a more pleasant experience.
    Ah ok.

Barrage Auto is not bad, you could do a lot worse in the Vaal than them.

That's good to know thank you.

I ordered me the replacement for the foot brake pedal shock last week. I also found a pair of headlight protectors at my dealer and got it discounted from R750 to R590!

When Eskom struck again yesterday I told the Fiancé let's het in the Beast, get some fuel and drive out to Trekos.

Its a really crappy corrugated road and I vowed never to drive it with any car of mine but I must say the Beast did it fairly comfortably. We went up and down a few steep hills and since I have 18" Continentals on I stayed far away from rocks and found it challenging to drive up steep sand inclines. I have been driving sporty cars all my life so please pardon me for feeling uneasy on anything less than a asphalt roadway.

However I must say I found it extremely exhilarating and even Surina liked the thrill of being on gravel and sand roads with uneasy inclines.

Wow, how I have waited for some freedom like this!
    Last edited by Karoo Klong; 2015/02/23 at 02:43 PM. Reason: My spelling on tapatalk sucks and I had so much more to share!

That's good to know thank you.

I ordered me the replacement for the foot brake pedal shock last week. I also found a pair of headlight protectors at my dealer and got it discounted from R750 to R590!

When Eskom struck again yesterday I told the Fiancé let's het in the Beast, get some fuel and drive out to Trekos.

Its a really crappy corrugated road and I vowed never to drive it with any car of mine but I must say the Beast did it fairly comfortably. We went up and down a few steep hills and since I have 18" Continentals on I stayed far away from rocks and found it challenging to drive up steep sand inclines. I have been driving sporty cars all my life so please pardon me for feeling uneasy on anything less than a asphalt roadway.

However I must say I found it extremely exhilarating and even Surina liked the thrill of being on gravel and sand roads with uneasy inclines.

Wow, how I have waited for some freedom like this!

Nice write up Karoo Klong AND enjoy the Treg; they are awesome cars and very very underrated.
    Just get yourself a set of 17" rims and all terrain tyres and wallah, Bob's your uncle.
    And oh by the way, welcome from I think the most "senior" member of the Treg club.

Chris.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisLab For This Useful Post:

Baie dankie oom Chris.
    Ek weet nie regtig of ek Afrikaans of Engels hier moet praat nie. Maar terwille daarvan dat almal kan verstaan gaan ek maar by die rooi taal hou.

I have been looking for answers for the last few days and I just can't get the information I need. Maybe you guys can help shed some light on this?

1. The Beast came with M+S 255/55/R18 109V Continentals. Now I have NEVER been a Continental fan as I have seen on three occasions that the tread just came off from them and pieces the size of your hand just came loose.
    What type of tyre would give the longest life and service in your experiance. I rather like the 18" ers but Suppose I should be looking at finding 17"'s?

2. I cannot find any referance both in the service manual or on the car as to the correct tyre pressure. And this is driving me nuts not knowing! Seriously. The manual just directs you to tye fuel cap or inside of door. And low and behold there is nothing there.

3. Rotation. How & When, and how often. What to look out for? What axle is more prone to premature wear? Must you change all tyres at once? What happens if you have a puncture and need to use a brand new spare and have three other weels @50% or less tread?

4. After market tyre pressure sensors. Yaye or naye and what type if yaye?

5. 2SO in Diesel... Yes or No? Only JASO FC Mineral or is Semi-Synthetic From Havoline acceptable? I have been searching all over for Mineral JASO FC and cant find it.

I hope you experianced folk could help me out with these?

The Finacé's father is also seriously looking for a simmilar one to mine now. I tracked down one that is also 2007 but not the facelift. Milage 130k and have the air suspension and rear tyre like mine also.
    I am having it sent to VW for 80point inspection tomorrow or the day after. Keeping fingers crossed that its in just as good a knick as mine or even better.

I'll keep you up to date with the progress on that.

See my responses in red below.

Baie dankie oom Chris.
    Ek weet nie regtig of ek Afrikaans of Engels hier moet praat nie. Maar terwille daarvan dat almal kan verstaan gaan ek maar by die rooi taal hou.

I have been looking for answers for the last few days and I just can't get the information I need. Maybe you guys can help shed some light on this?

1. The Beast came with M+S 255/55/R18 109V Continentals. Now I have NEVER been a Continental fan as I have seen on three occasions that the tread just came off from them and pieces the size of your hand just came loose.
    What type of tyre would give the longest life and service in your experiance. I rather like the 18" ers but Suppose I should be looking at finding 17"'s?

Stick with the 18s. It's not a Rubicon. If you want to do hectic trails, this isn't the car for it.

2. I cannot find any referance both in the service manual or on the car as to the correct tyre pressure. And this is driving me nuts not knowing! Seriously. The manual just directs you to tye fuel cap or inside of door. And low and behold there is nothing there.

3. Rotation. How & When, and how often. What to look out for? What axle is more prone to premature wear? Must you change all tyres at once? What happens if you have a puncture and need to use a brand new spare and have three other weels @50% or less tread?

Rotate every 10'000km. Wear is faster on the rear. Do not drive in sport shock mode all the time. The inside of the camber wears faster that way. If the tread depth differs more than 2mm you must keep your speed below 80km/h (as with using the inflatable spare). If you have the money, get another spare and do 6 wheel rotation every 10'000km.

That's up to you. I deleted mine - http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f7...reg-78757.html

5. 2SO in Diesel... Yes or No? Only JASO FC Mineral or is Semi-Synthetic From Havoline acceptable? I have been searching all over for Mineral JASO FC and cant find it.

Caltex and Sasol usually have JASO FC. Your HPFP pumps fuel to 2000bar. The only lube and coolant is from the fuel. You decide if you want lube. I'm not going to debate it more but my recommendation is to use it.

The Finacé's father is also seriously looking for a simmilar one to mine now. I tracked down one that is also 2007 but not the facelift. Milage 130k and have the air suspension and rear tyre like mine also.
    I am having it sent to VW for 80point inspection tomorrow or the day after. Keeping fingers crossed that its in just as good a knick as mine or even better.

A parts car.....now you are talking!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MariusFourie; 2015/02/26 at 08:29 AM.

Thank you Marius. I was hoping you would respond as most of the stuff I read about 2SO had alot of your input. I bought the Caltex Havoline Super 2T (The only JASO FS i could find) but after downloading the data sheet from the internet I found that is semi-synthetic and not mineral. Does it matter? Does it have to be mineral only?
    I have read about all the treads on 2SO as I am scared of sdding stuff I don't know. But after consulting with a local oil supply exper who was against adding this stuff. I showed him some findings from the thread here and he changed his opinion an said all that is said makes good sense. So I reccon I will take the leap of faith and thy 2SO.

My father has also bought me two bottles of dieselcure from Würth. This stuff is amazing. It dissolves any water you may have in you system or tank into your diesel and burns it out cleanly.

I will post more info once I get it from dad this weekend. He uses it in his fleet since they had a water leak into their 20 000liter subterranean tank and ten of their diesel engines started acting up some Monday after heavy rains.

Parts car, Haha. 😅

Baie dankie oom Chris.

Regarding the tyres, get the Pirelli Scorpions ATR. It is very quiet on tar, is more than able off road and will last very long. I have heard people getting 100k km on a set.

I have them on my Amarok, and am extremely happy so far.

Agree on the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's, - very good tyre.

1. 17"s would be nice, but would only go that route if you can find the rims at a steal. it does make an off-road difference.

2. Strange that your sticker is missing in the door. Check carefully there for accident damage.

3. Buy 6 tyres and rotate every 10 to 15k. My front ones wear quicker than the rear. I think it has to do with city driving, i.e. more braking forces on the front.

4. I've got a Tyre guard system, it works so so, better than nothing. Alerted me once to a slow puncture thus far, which I did not notice without.

5. Going to stay out of this one, but warming up to the idea.

Think your father in law should go for a facelift. There are improvements on the facelift. Also the facelift will then be the better spares vehicle for yours .
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    2010 Bombardier Electrostar 746 kw - Gautrain (Daily Commute)

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Nee wat Karoo Klong, "oom" is nou glad nie nodig nie, sommer net Chris is lekker; dit laat ons jonk voel
    Die mees "senior" is ook tong in kies gesę maar ek het darem hierdie thread ook begin.

I agree with the "rooitaal" as I know there are Germans, Greeks and other nationalities on the forum ( It is International afterall ) And Marius Fourie is a real Soutie and does not speak a word of "Afrikaans"

I agree with most of what Marius says except for the 18" rims.
    I am on my second Treg and had 18" rims on both cars for a start but swopped both to 17" I really prefer the 17" rims for "off roading" ( julle ryk Karoo skaapboere kan sommer n stel van elk hę

As far as Continental tyres are concerned. Not a fan either but I must say they are not bad on tar and "good' gravel roads. Handling and ride comfort are actually quite good BUT their sidewalls are very soft. I got punctures on the sidewalls of both front tyres same day, same time and as you know repairing of sidewall punctures are not recomended, especially on such a heavy car. So I had to replace all 5 tyres. I run 235x65x17 Pirelli ATR's on my car. I am actually a Michelin man but could not find any so went for the Pirellis.
    I have been everywhere with them that I have been with the Continental Contact and lots worse places and through Botswana, Caprivi, Namibia on some pretty bad roads and some thick sand.
    I have done about 30,000 Km and I am quite happy ( still prefer Michelins though )
    Concerning two Stroke, I have been using it for many years and have never had issues with turbos or injecters BUT it must be Jaso FC.
    Use it don't use it.

Chris.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast