Pathfinder or no Pathfinder

Default Pathfinder or no Pathfinder

Hi Guys,

Some advice please, I'm currently driving a Land Rover Disco 2 TD5. Which I am very happy with (love for land rover runs deep). However it may be time for a change, was looking at a possible shift to a Pathfinder - had my eye on the D3 however the maintenance on the D2 has set me back more than expected and I know I can multiply those bills by four on a D3.

So I have semi made my mind up, pathfinder it is...

What I want to know for you Nissan experts is:

1. Fuel Consumption on the 2.5 DCi?
    2. Off road capabilities? (I know the Disco is capable and would like a vehicle as if not more capable - if that is possible hehehe...)
    3. Any common issues I should be aware of?
    4. Cost of aftermarket accessories?
    5. Are those accessories necessary? (suspension etc.)

Thanks in advance dudes.
    Craig

2006 Pajero 3,2 DiD Auto SWB named Joe Pesci
    2002 D2 GS TD5 Facelift - SOLD
    2001 Defender 90 TD5 - Gone to a better place...

Owning a Land Rover is like being a father to a two year old. 99% percent of the time it will annoy and frustrate you, making you want to pull your hair out. But the person who tries to take it away from you better have life insurance.

Subscribed.

I think the Pathy is very underrated.

Some observations:

- independent suspension: few upgrade options, control arm bushings are a PITA?
    - very few accessory options?
    - needs front & underbody armour?

But yes, less trouble than an old D3 with a tired TDV6 and air suspension.......
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

No air suspension.
    Aftermarket upgrades not so common, but should be less costly than a D3

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

Any comment on offroad capabilities?

On paper it should be more capable than the disco because of a proper locking CDL but haven't heard much comment on them other than soft sand capability.

I know my Disco, and even though it doesn't have CDL I have managed pretty damn well without it. Goes everywhere my brothers modified Range Rover Classic V8 goes...

Just don't want to "upgrade" to not keep up.
    Last edited by crapowell; 2015/02/17 at 10:13 AM.
    Craig

Owning a Land Rover is like being a father to a two year old. 99% percent of the time it will annoy and frustrate you, making you want to pull your hair out. But the person who tries to take it away from you better have life insurance.

My dad drives a Pathfinder and me a Navara so I can help a bit.

Fuel consumption under normal driving conditions is about 10 l/100km. More aggressive tyres and some mods may push this up.

Off road capabilities are not the best but not terrible either. Both vehicles are big and wide which restricts them in terms of manoeuvrability and approach/departure angles. A body lift helps a bit but results in extra costs.

Earlier models had clutch issues but I think this was solved from 2008 or 2009 onwards. The 2.5 turbo diesel has been around for ages and is a known reliable engine. The normal issues with turbo-diesels do however apply (injectors if you fill up with really dirty diesel, turbo not looked after).

Aftermarket accessories are not as available but a bit of searching on this forum will yield results. I don't think it is really more expensive than for other vehicles.

The only modifications I made to my Navara are a bash plate and two small spot lights but this is for peace of mind more than anything else. If you are looking at serious off roading, a suspension lift might be required.

It is important to understand the Pathfinder/ Navara. They are very comfortable on the open road (where they spend most of their time) and handle like a normal car. They are very powerful and can tow nearly anything. And they offer great value for money. If you're looking for something to do trails with, this might not be the vehicle for you. If you're looking for something to use for overlanding, you'll struggle to find something more suitable.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Thank you for that, very helpful. I have had a slight change of heart recently and am now in love with the gen 4 pajero LWB GLX. The only problem is I have been offered a Fortuner for a price I really cannot refuse...

This is a conundrum... I think I'm going to give the Fortuner a shot, if only for a few months, see if it grows on me - if it doesn't I will sell it and get a Pajero.

Thanks for all the help guys. I still love the look and vibe of the pathy but I do not think it is the vehicle for me.
    Craig

When comparing Toyota to other brands, remember that Toyota usually have better resale value. If you're getting the Fortuner for a good price, you shouldn't have problems selling it when you change your mind.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Default Re: Pathfinder or no Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by crapowell View Post
    Thank you for that, very helpful. I have had a slight change of heart recently and am now in love with the gen 4 pajero LWB GLX. The only problem is I have been offered a Fortuner for a price I really cannot refuse...

This is a conundrum... I think I'm going to give the Fortuner a shot, if only for a few months, see if it grows on me - if it doesn't I will sell it and get a Pajero.

Thanks for all the help guys. I still love the look and vibe of the pathy but I do not think it is the vehicle for me.
    Sorry for the thread necro, but mind me asking what you decided on in the end?