Pure Sime Wave Inverter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Hi all,

I'm desperately looking for a Pure Sine Wave inverter that I can use on our 4x4 trips. I'm looking at a 2500W 12V Pure Sine Wave inverter that I might be able to use at home for lights and TV as well during our loadshedding intervals.

However I have a problem to find someone locally that has stock. And if they do have stock they want to charge me more than an arm and a leg for it.

I want to bring 4 units in that will help to keep the courier charges down. If you are interested PM me for the Specs. At the moment a unit will cost in the region of R4950-00 and I want to place the order next week.

Thanks,
    Andre,
    Last edited by Anmos; 2015/02/13 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

Anmos van Pretoria
    2007 Toyota Hilux 4.0 DC 4x4 AT
    ARB, TMax Winch
    Full OME suspension
    Air Helpers at the back
    Long Range Fuel Tank
    285x70x17 BF Muds with 30mm Wheel Spacers

You can try 4x4direct, don't know if they have any left though. Prices & quality are good.

http://www.4x4direct.co.za/shop/sola...qd4tm2pul5n6d7

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

or, you can simply support one of our commercial members selling them...

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

Indeed Dave... such as the one I recommended

I know their stuff works, as we tested it.

-F_D
    Last edited by Family_Dog; 2015/02/14 at 01:07 PM.
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Anmos View Post
    Hi all,

I'm desperately looking for a Pure Sine Wave inverter that I can use on our 4x4 trips. I'm looking at a 2500W 12V Pure Sine Wave inverter that I might be able to use at home for lights and TV as well during our loadshedding intervals....

Thanks,
    Andre,
    Andre, I hope you understand the implications of using a 2500W, 12V inverter in a vehicle. It is a monster of note and it is easy to get things go wrong and make them go fizzle and pop (or worse).

Try connecting that to your 2200W kettle for a quick cup of tea. Trouble, big trouble.

Not suggesting you do not know what you are doing, but I really hope you understand that what you are attempting to put together is a real monster, with serious potential for serious problems.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Anmos - I have a 500W Waeco modified inverter which is fine for camping - fridge LED lights etc.

At home it handles my 42" Sony (250W) and several LED lights. Some people have reported that modified do not work with their TV's - I have had no problems.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2015/02/14 at 05:11 PM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Eggie - Please educate us - why is this so dangerous? Because of lack of earthing?

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Try connecting that to your 2200W kettle for a quick cup of tea. Trouble, big trouble.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2015/02/14 at 05:13 PM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Andre, I hope you understand the implications of using a 2500W, 12V inverter in a vehicle. It is a monster of note and it is easy to get things go wrong and make them go fizzle and pop (or worse).

Not suggesting you do not know what you are doing, but I really hope you understand that what you are attempting to put together is a real monster, with serious potential for serious problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Eggie - Please educate us - why is this so dangerous? Because of lack of earthing?
    Maybe because when drawing over 200A the cables, connectors and battery Better be in good nik.

After a few cups of tea you will probably have an ex battery. A 100% DOD in 15-20 minutes is not a good idea.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Anmos - I have a 500W Waeco modified inverter which is fine for camping - fridge LED lights etc.

At home it handles my 42" Sony (250W) and several LED lights. Some people have reported that modified do not work with their TV's - I have had no problems.
    My late BIL on the farm used a modified to run his tv for years and years and years.
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

Keith - DOD - you raise a good point there is great enthusiasm currently about inverters - I wonder if those buying them have considered whether their batteries can handle the draw to all the potential appliances.

They certainly won't last long being drained daily at the rate some people have indicated!

Would I be correct in assuming in a conventional deep cell one should not go below 50% of capacity?
    And there must be a limit of the number of times they can be recharged?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Maybe because when drawing over 200A the cables, connectors and battery Better be in good nik.

After a few cups of tea you will probably have an ex battery. A 100% DOD in 15-20 minutes is not a good idea.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2015/02/14 at 08:41 PM.

We use a 1200 watt Tedelex UPS to run only the PVR and TV during power shedding, which is absolutely under-utilized. It employs two 105 Ah high-cyclle batteries. The guys manufacturing these things come with a lot of experience. I suppose that is why they are not using deep cycles.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

As Fluffy points out, you had better be well informed and totally prepared when you attempt drawing 200A from your camping battery. Not for experimenters. You could easily lose not only your battery, but also your vehicle in a fire.
    Eggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    We use a 1200 watt Tedelex UPS to run only the PVR and TV during power shedding, which is absolutely under-utilized. It employs two 105 Ah high-cyclle batteries. The guys manufacturing these things come with a lot of experience. I suppose that is why they are not using deep cycles.

A UPS with 2 x 102Ahr batteries and a decent smart charger (20A ~ 30A) should provide its owner only joy, even if it is a tad bulky. The hassle of bulky will make place for big smiles when the power is off for a lot more than the expected 2 hours.

Deep cycles can be fully justified and have their applications, but mostly only where 220V mains is readily available for convenient charging with a proper (smart) charger. Either that or a conservatively proportioned solar charging setup. For most campers I would recommend not to consider deep cycles. Rather use high cycle, AGM or lead crystal.

For a "proper" smart charger I would recommend that you charge the intended battery at from 0,1C to 0,2C. This implies charging a 100Ahr battery at somewhere between 10A and 20A, where 10A is fine and 20A is better. A multi-step charger (at least 2-step) is recommended.
    Last edited by Eggie; 2015/02/15 at 10:03 AM.
    Eggie.

You might want to wait a few months.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...nths-away.html

Agree totally, if you are only operating lights and electronics such as computers, TV's, DVD players and DSTV decoders then a much cheaper and far more easily obtainable modified sine-wave inverter is perfectly adequate. We run our Samsung 3D 43in Plasma tv, DSTV decoder, home theatre system and 4 halogen lights all at the same time from a Discover 115 ah AGM battery through a cheap Samlex 500w Inverter and its works just fine. I wouldn't try to operate a hand drill or angle grinder though, apart from not having enough oomph from the inverter they need true sine-waves to operate properly.

[QUOTE=Richsav730;2656984]Agree totally, if you are only operating lights and electronics such as computers, TV's, DVD players and DSTV decoders then a much cheaper and far more easily obtainable modified sine-wave inverter is perfectly adequate. We run our Samsung 3D 43in Plasma tv, DSTV decoder, home theatre system and 4 halogen lights all at the same time from a Discover 115 ah AGM battery through a cheap Samlex 500w Inverter and its works just fine. I wouldn't try to operate a hand drill or angle grinder though apart from not having enough oomph (yes, although when I was in trouble on the farm I used my Black & Decker 400W drill off a 600VA UPS on a 102ah battery to put up my panels, overload tripped a few times but got the job done) from the inverter they need true sine-waves to operate properly. (no, they are brush motors and will run on anything you throw at them, half wave, square wave, any "junk")
    Last edited by Dave Faddel; 2015/02/17 at 10:13 AM.

Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

My Bosch drill works fine on my inverter.

On the farm we had a 3kw square wave inverter, it was mostly used for equipment in the house. That was in the early 80's. The only thing that had an issue was the farm fridge, but a large capacitor on the plug sorted that one.
    Last edited by JLK; 2015/02/17 at 11:07 AM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

@Anmos, although you can get up to a 5000w invertor running on 12V, it is a bit problematic and dangerous due to the extremely high current draw on the 12V side.
    On your 2500W unit you will be looking at around 208Amp on the 12V side.
    On a normal 12V cranking battery this is perhaps fine for a couple of seconds, but longer periods will kill the battery completely.
    Deep Cycle and High Cycle batteries will even re-act worse at those sort of currents. They like to have low current draw over longer time.

I guess the real question is why such a big invertor?
    Normal campers run 300w to 600w invertors.
    To power large equipment in rural settings, guys normally use a genset.
    If you want to power your house, rather look at 48V solutions, but that is just my opinion....

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

I'm looking at a 2500W 12V Pure Sine Wave inverter that I might be able to use at home for lights and TV as well during our load shedding intervals.

I have looked at this thread plenty of times and "something" was wrong ...
    is it this ? Do you in fact get a 2500w 12v inverter ? I have never seen one and in fact the biggest 12v inverter I have actually seen was around 1200w if I recall. Anything over that as has been said a few times can in fact become very dangerous. So, are they in fact available? and if so who would want to draw close to 200 amps at 12v

Garden Route Division

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast