Genuine Landrover snorkel fitment.

Default Genuine Landrover snorkel fitment.

Hi Guys, I have now sorted my snorkel fitment, many thanks to the guys at Land rover East London and Tino at G4 accessories. After much examination and discussion it seems that fitting the genuine Land rover snorkel is not just a straight forward bolt on and go. Even with out a snorkel there is a gap between the air intake pipe and the fender so a percentage of air is drawn from the wheel well. That may be a negligible amount. When a snorkel is fitted and that gap not sealed it does not pass the sheet of paper test and seeing that the snorkel faces backwards a negative pressure would be build up at the snorkel inlet, allowing a lot more air to be drawn from the wheel well. LR East London have now added a 25mm ring of auto sealer strip and after re fitting the plastic funnel have silicone the strip to the fender. It now sucks cool clean air from roof height. They are going to check all Landover snorkels fitted to the vehicles they service here to make sure the snorkel was fitted properly. Without the sealing done properly the snorkel is just an expensive decorative chimney that has been fitted to these cars with the possibility of filters being chocked/ruptured with the resultant engine failures.
    Just putting it out there for those interested.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Hi pwgg, thanks for the post will have mine checked out at Novel LR in Windhoek as they did the installation. Possible to please post some pics and maybe get your Landie guys to send you a Do and Don't's checklist so I can give it to the lads at Novel as I'm sure the response would be that they fitted it correctly or it's gotta be like that as per the installation guidelines

2014 Disco 4 XS - White "Landjägertjie"

OL Bull Bar, Vision X spots, Warn winch, Escape Gear Seat Covers, HM STAR GAZER 1.6m RTT,
    TJM Suspension replacement lift kit, 70A Raylight AGM Dual Battery, CTEK D250S Dual DC DC Charger, N Luna Dual Batt Monitor, Frontrunner - Sump Guard / 80L Aux Tank + Guard & Spare Wheel Carrier, ALU -CAB Shadow Awn Awning,

Retired
    2006 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE - White
    2009 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE - White
    2009 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE - Atacama Sand
    2009 Disco 4 TDV6 HSE - White

Hi Jolly just saw this now. The LR guys insist it is correct but when opened it has that gap, mine is now sealed for good, not pretty but can't be seen. The gap we filled with auto sealing tape and lots of silicon, allow to dry before fitting. The expert is Tino at G4 accessories, really helpful guy. Tino Bianco <[email protected]>
    Can't help with dos and don'ts I don't have any just check everything myself. No instructions with the snorkel strange as it is damn expensive and the perfect fit would have a replacement boot that would flange on the fender and a tube of silicon to seal all perfectly. It is a shame as it is a unique snorkel and hopefully LR won't be ducking and diving when some guy finds out that his engine has calved because it was force-fed from the wheel well.
    Last edited by pwgg; 2015/02/20 at 09:52 AM.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Hi pwgg many thanks will get Novel's guys to make contact with Tino at G4 accessories

OL Bull Bar, Vision X spots, Warn winch, Escape Gear Seat Covers, HM STAR GAZER 1.6m RTT,
    TJM Suspension replacement lift kit, 70A Raylight AGM Dual Battery, CTEK D250S Dual DC DC Charger, N Luna Dual Batt Monitor, Frontrunner - Sump Guard / 80L Aux Tank + Guard & Spare Wheel Carrier, ALU -CAB Shadow Awn Awning,

Retired

Hi pwgg unbelievable they and please I use the word they as I do not want to slant the good folks that flitted my snorkel left out some vital parts hence it sucking air from the fender - I am awaiting the arrival of said part or parts to hopefully now have a functioning raised air intake

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431861759.740173.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	347380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431861776.568798.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	347381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431861805.672542.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	347382

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    Hi pwgg unbelievable they and please I use the word they as I do not want to slant the good folks that flitted my snorkel left out some vital parts hence it sucking air from the fender - I am awaiting the arrival of said part or parts to hopefully now have a functioning raised air intake

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431861759.740173.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	347380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431861776.568798.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	347381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431861805.672542.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	347382
    Hi Jolly
    I have just fitted mine and noticed that the actual Air intake rubber on the D4 is recessed behind the fender where as the disco 3 the rubber intake actually protrudes right up to the outside skin of the fender. Now if you look deep inside between the inner and outer fenders you will see some dust proofing material so what they are doing is to avoid remanufacturing a different Mantec RAI which is compatible to the 3 and 4 and because you have two turbo's sucking air opposed to one they are utilising the air in the inner space between the two. I don't believe that the Mantec or OEM Land Rover RAI is adequate for the 4 in terms of air suction, So what I have done is that I stripped out the internal pipe between the two elbows, which is just a coil spring covered in cloth, very porous on the D3 and on the 4 the same except a very flimsy vinyl sheath over it. Took it out and discarded it, fitted a solid plastic constantina pipe I got from Summit 4X4 which is the same they use for their Safari type snorkels, then fitted the elbows to both ends and sealed with silicone. Then I found an old D3 intake elbow and cut and modified to fit into the D 4 intake elbow, this now extend it to the edge of the outer fender cut out the slots to take a D4 mounting bracket and assembled. Now I don't have and RAI but a waterproof come dust proof snorkel. Problem it the suction noise from the intake is a hell of a lot louder and when I go through all the gears every time it changes the intake makes a noise like a dump valve like you hear from these little hot hatches. Conclusion is that he snorkel is now strangling the air intake which brings me back to the beginning and what I am going to do is like on all of the G4's cut out the forward facing slots and hopefully ram more air into it. If that fails then I am going back to square one like yours. Don't bother ordering the internal intake piping, been there and done that. All you are going to get is exactly what you already have and it will cost you some R1800. The only other alternative is to fit the genuine Safari snorkel which is functional but fugly.

Ps Just noticed that both you and the OP are driving the XS which is single turbo anyway. So my mod will work for you.
    Last edited by tgwinduna; 2015/05/17 at 10:39 PM. Reason: PS addition
    Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)

Peter Street

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    Hi Jolly
    I have just fitted mine and noticed that the actual Air intake rubber on the D4 is recessed behind the fender where as the disco 3 the rubber intake actually protrudes right up to the outside skin of the fender. Now if you look deep inside between the inner and outer fenders you will see some dust proofing material so what they are doing is to avoid remanufacturing a different Mantec RAI which is compatible to the 3 and 4 and because you have two turbo's sucking air opposed to one they are utilising the air in the inner space between the two. I don't believe that the Mantec or OEM Land Rover RAI is adequate for the 4 in terms of air suction, So what I have done is that I stripped out the internal pipe between the two elbows, which is just a coil spring covered in cloth, very porous on the D3 and on the 4 the same except a very flimsy vinyl sheath over it. Took it out and discarded it, fitted a solid plastic constantina pipe I got from Summit 4X4 which is the same they use for their Safari type snorkels, then fitted the elbows to both ends and sealed with silicone. Then I found an old D3 intake elbow and cut and modified to fit into the D 4 intake elbow, this now extend it to the edge of the outer fender cut out the slots to take a D4 mounting bracket and assembled. Now I don't have and RAI but a waterproof come dust proof snorkel. Problem it the suction noise from the intake is a hell of a lot louder and when I go through all the gears every time it changes the intake makes a noise like a dump valve like you hear from these little hot hatches. Conclusion is that he snorkel is now strangling the air intake which brings me back to the beginning and what I am going to do is like on all of the G4's cut out the forward facing slots and hopefully ram more air into it. If that fails then I am going back to square one like yours. Don't bother ordering the internal intake piping, been there and done that. All you are going to get is exactly what you already have and it will cost you some R1800. The only other alternative is to fit the genuine Safari snorkel which is functional but fugly.

Ps Just noticed that both you and the OP are driving the XS which is single turbo anyway. So my mod will work for you.
    Hi tgwinduna thank you so much for your detailed post it is greatly appreciated, I forwarded it to the good folks that need to sort my non functioning snorkel out and lets hope they get it right this time

Retired