Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Default Re: The importance of 3-ply side wall?

The good things more manufactures especially in AT form are releasing 3ply sidewall which is good for choice

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    On my 110, I have just replaced my BFG KO1s with Dunlop AT3Gs, specifically for the three ply sidewall. I do a lot of business travel heavily laden, on some pretty dodgy rural roads - let's be honest, most of our urban roads are pretty dodgy as well.

For reasons documented elsewhere, I did a couple of years with TAIGA tyres (two ply rated) on the back axle, and these had a slightly better load rating than the BFGs. But I really hankered to have 5 tyres the same, and after some application and a lot of saving, I got there.

Was it worth it - undoubtedly. I can feel the difference in the handling when loaded, and although it is a very stiff sidewall, some of the deliberately challenging 4x4 terrain has been handled very well, aired down to 1,2bar.

It is not a cheap tyre, and only time will tell if it lasts like the BFG, but I'm close to 5000km on them in the last six weeks, well over 50% on unsurfaced or broken tar roads, and they still look like new.

Hey Steve,

We hope you've had a great start to 2021! Thank you for your feedback. We're so happy to hear you're enjoying your Dunlop AT3Gs and we wish you many more miles of memories and safe travels ahead.

Quinton De Beer
    Dunlop Community Manager

This is the importance of 3-ply sidewalls. This is now the 6th write-off (2 blow-outs) because of sidewall slashes on my Hankook AT Dynapro's. Yes I use correct tyre pressures and the two blow-out's were immediate, no tpms would've saved them. All of the write-off's on gravel roads.

I kept replacing them with the same brand as I have TWT tyre insurance so it didn't really cost anything. Safe to say that's over though!

I'm looking at Maxxis AT811 Razor, Cooper ST Maxx but the Dunlop ATG3 is very tempting because of its price (for a 3-ply sidewall tyre)...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	627145
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

Remember it is Dunlop AT3gm for 3-ply sidewall.

Geoffth

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Geoffth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    This is the importance of 3-ply sidewalls. This is now the 6th write-off (2 blow-outs) because of sidewall slashes on my Hankook AT Dynapro's. Yes I use correct tyre pressures and the two blow-out's were immediate, no tpms would've saved them. All of the write-off's on gravel roads.

I kept replacing them with the same brand as I have TWT tyre insurance so it didn't really cost anything. Safe to say that's over though!

I'm looking at Maxxis AT811 Razor, Cooper ST Maxx but the Dunlop ATG3 is very tempting because of its price (for a 3-ply sidewall tyre)...

you look like a good candidate to add BFG KO2 to the list or a 3ply mud tire

If I understand your social media posts correctly you went with BFG?

On the above I would give the Maxxis a go, but I think they are now more expensive than BFG.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

What a pity, that tyre looks almost new aside from the wrecked sidewall!

It all comes down to what you want to do and where you go, if you go to very rough terrains with all those 'technical' stuff then I'd suggest to get that 3ply.
    11 Verrell St, Wetherill Park, NSW 2164, Australia
    Website: https://www.kayaks2fish.com/sydney/d...tandem-kayaks/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6