Amarok Canopy: RSI vs Metalian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Amarok Canopy: RSI vs Metalian

Hi All,

I have done some canopy research and have narrowed it down to either an RSI or Metalian canopy for my DC Amarok.

I have found threads where these canopies are discussed, but I would like to put them head to head in terms of:

• Fit and finish on the vehicle
    • No. of holes that needs to be drilled into the vehicle
    • Water and dust sealing
    • Construction strength and load carrying capability
    • longlivity and robustness
    • Can the tailgate be opened with the canopy back door closed?

For me its a tie in the looks area - if the Metalian is the same height as the cab - in some photos it seems higher.

I like that the RSI is made from stainless steel and I like the triple seal of the Metalian.

Who has these canopies fitted and what are your honest opinions?

I would love to be able to see these canopies on a Amarok - anybody in the PE area have either fitted to an Amarok?

IMHO these are the top 2 canopies in SA at the moment and therefore both are excellent.

RSI is slightly more expensive, but that is offset (for me) by the fact that a table in the roof is included. So without accessories fixed front and rear windows and 3 large doors they are pretty much the same price.

Its a difficult decision and therefore I need your input please!

I had Metalian. Great canopy but I did always think it was too high in relation to the vehicle cab.
    2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser
    1979 Range Rover Classic 5.3L V8 Vortec (213kw/441Nm)
    1998 Defender 90 2.8i

2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (SOLD)
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser(SOLD)
    2013 VW Amarok BiTDi 4Motion 132kw 8-Speed Auto (SOLD)
    2012 VW Amarok BiTDi 4Motion 120kw (RETURNED)

Rowan Alexander

http://www.fridayavieclub.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by JurgenSteyn View Post
    Hi All,

I have done some canopy research and have narrowed it down to either an RSI or Metalian canopy for my DC Amarok.

I have found threads where these canopies are discussed, but I would like to put them head to head in terms of:

• Water and dust sealing

For me its a tie in the looks area - if the Metalian is the same height as the cab - in some photos it seems higher.

I like that the RSI is made from stainless steel and I like the triple seal of the Metalian.

Who has these canopies fitted and what are your honest opinions?

I would love to be able to see these canopies on a Amarok - anybody in the PE area have either fitted to an Amarok?

IMHO these are the top 2 canopies in SA at the moment and therefore both are excellent.

RSI is slightly more expensive, but that is offset (for me) by the fact that a table in the roof is included. So without accessories fixed front and rear windows and 3 large doors they are pretty much the same price.

Its a difficult decision and therefore I need your input please!
    Well, you in PE. Go to Cerafix Engineering, speak to the owner - Willie. They do a lot of offroad goodies. Quality is excellent! Better priced than the well known brands. Have a look and decide for yourself. They are situated in Burman Road.
    Sent from my iPhone

Just make sure the canopy window can slide open. I have a Beekman canipy and I cannot clean the rear window of the bakkie or the canopy. I have to remove the canopy to do that.

Default RSI canopy

I fitted the RSI one year ago. Went to the factory here in KZN first to look at the manufacturing process. From the outset I realised that quality is first priority here. At around 85kg it's not heavy compared with the other aluminium and fibreglass canopies. They use the existing tie down points in the bin to secure the canopy -no additional drilling. They also fitted led's inside that you can unplug should you want to remove the canopy.
    I was told two weeks ago at Alpine VW that the RSI canopy is now VW approved. Maybe you can just confirm that with them...

85kg sounds very heavy
    2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser
    1979 Range Rover Classic 5.3L V8 Vortec (213kw/441Nm)
    1998 Defender 90 2.8i

2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (SOLD)
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser(SOLD)
    2013 VW Amarok BiTDi 4Motion 132kw 8-Speed Auto (SOLD)
    2012 VW Amarok BiTDi 4Motion 120kw (RETURNED)

Rowan Alexander

http://www.fridayavieclub.co.za

Thanks for all the input so far. I looked at pictures of the cerafix, but since they are close it might be worth it to make a turn there in the week. It doesnt seem there is any Amarok with a Metalian in PE, hopefully there is one with a RSI canopy close by.

Thanks for all the input so far. I looked at pictures of the cerafix, but since they are close it might be worth it to make a turn there in the week. It doesnt seem there is any Amarok with a Metalian in PE, hopefully there is one with a RSI canopy close by.
    I had one with my Amarok (the single cab in the photos was mine), will defnitely get one for my Auto. Just need to get a buyer for my Transporter T5......
    Sent from my iPhone

I would like to put them head to head in terms of:

• Water and dust sealing
    I trust I offer the correct comparison on the following:

The Metalian fit is certainly better (round rear posts and special rubber seal.)
    Metalian also don't drill any holes into the vehicle. (tie)
    The sealing should be better with Metalian.
    The RSI canopy wins on robustness for two reasons - steel beats aluminium and the RSI profile dimensions are deeper - this makes the door openings smaller though.
    Longevity and robustness is a repeat of the above item.
    You cannot open the tailgate with a Metalian canopy door closed. I'm not sure about RSI.

That said, I'm not sure we are actually higher than other canopies. I've heard this repeated a few times. In practice we take the upper most point of the cab's roof as reference. I know that the bevelled look of the RSI appears to visually lower the canopy, (but I don't know the actual difference in height.)

The RSI canopy is a good canopy and a true rival. I know they're approved with Ford. I've tried to get through to the manufacturers for approval, but my attempts go unanswered. I think RSI have a better history with working with the vehicle manufacturers.

A factor to consider when looking at price, is that aluminium currently costs more than twice the cost of 3CR12. With respective weights off 60 kgs relative to 85 kgs, Metalian is working with a substantially lower gross profit .

I've thought about doing a steel canopy as I have the machines in-house and the process is as we do on our trailers, but I'm not yet finished with design possibilities on our aluminium canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    I trust I offer the correct comparison on the following:

The Metalian fit is certainly better (round rear posts and special rubber seal.)
    Metalian also don't drill any holes into the vehicle. (tie)
    The sealing should be better with Metalian.
    The RSI canopy wins on robustness for two reasons - steel beats aluminium and the RSI profile dimensions are deeper - this makes the door openings smaller though.
    Longevity and robustness is a repeat of the above item.
    You cannot open the tailgate with a Metalian canopy door closed. I'm not sure about RSI.

That said, I'm not sure we are actually higher than other canopies. I've heard this repeated a few times. In practice we take the upper most point of the cab's roof as reference. I know that the bevelled look of the RSI appears to visually lower the canopy, (but I don't know the actual difference in height.)

The RSI canopy is a good canopy and a true rival. I know they're approved with Ford. I've tried to get through to the manufacturers for approval, but my attempts go unanswered. I think RSI have a better history with working with the vehicle manufacturers.

A factor to consider when looking at price, is that aluminium currently costs more than twice the cost of 3CR12. With respective weights off 60 kgs relative to 85 kgs, Metalian is working with a substantially lower gross profit .

I've thought about doing a steel canopy as I have the machines in-house and the process is as we do on our trailers, but I'm not yet finished with design possibilities on our aluminium canopy.
    Thank you Heinz for your honest reply

To add another option;

I have Rhino CAB's all aluminium canopy and I think it is looking good and it ticks all the boxes I had.

One noticeable difference on the Metalian (for me anyway) is that I rake the rear door at 5 degrees. This lands up "looking" straight. If you look at the above pic, you have the illusion that the canopy is actually sloping backwards. This is even more noticeable with some brands.

As vehicles continue to take up more organic shapes, we'll be perpetually challenged in getting 2D straight line constructions to look good - or land up with multiple bends as in this case and some compromise.

I have to admit that there is something good looking about a lower rear door - looks like the more modern SUV's.

Quote Originally Posted by HKing View Post
    To add another option;

I have Rhino CAB's all aluminium canopy and I think it is looking good and it ticks all the boxes I had.

This is a good looking canopy. I'm no engineer, but I think proper dust sealing at the "bends" in the side doors must be a major PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by ThysleRoux View Post
    This is a good looking canopy. I'm no engineer, but I think proper dust sealing at the "bends" in the side doors must be a major PITA.

On the inside they have a 10mm flat alu following the exact same line as the side doors. This 10mm is then covered with rubber and it seals 90%.

Check the rubber on the inside below;

Last edited by HKing; 2015/02/09 at 12:00 PM.

The Rhino cab is very nice! Very similar to the RSI just in Alu and not SS. Similar price also.

I have a Metallian on my Volla and love it. Sometimes I think it is too high and would have looked better about 10cm lower. Other times when I start loading it, the extra height makes so much more of a difference. I had some issues with my rubbers that tore on the side doors, but Heinz fixed this fast and sent me new ones very quick

If I had to choose again, I would request a bit lower Metallian.
    Jacques

2013 Amarok BiTDi DC 4Motion
    2018 Bushlapa Ratel 4 Military Edition - BL1402

Sold - 2011 Conqueror Comfort
    Sold - 2004 Isuzu KB300 DC (was only 4x2 but a happy 240000km and 9 years)

Default Canopy Pricing

On pricing this is how I had it a few months ago, please correct me:

Rhino - 22-23k - Then the canopy is powder coated in the standard colours and will not match your current colour. They cannot colour coat to vehicle factory colour.

Metallian - 23k in standard form and colour. Vehicle factory colouring is an additional 2-3k?

RSI - Normally 23k. Additional 2-3k for factory colour coating.

Limited edition Signature RSI - R23k including factory colour coating. This is a limited special.
    2014 AutoAmaRock
    RSI Signature Canopy
    Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265/70 R17

I have a Metalian and drive a lot of dirt roads , hardly any dust inside canopy . I also have done some rough trips with a roof top tent on the canopy . No problems at all . The triple seal is great .

Quote Originally Posted by HKing View Post
    On the inside they have a 10mm flat alu following the exact same line as the side doors. This 10mm is then covered with rubber and it seals 90%.

Check the rubber on the inside below;

If there is any movement between the door and the canopy ( the slightest flex of the frame, for example) the seal at the bends will be compromised, IMHO. It's just an observation and I may be completely wrong

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast