Help / Advice needed: Foreign visitor KNP

Default Help / Advice needed: Foreign visitor KNP

Hello Folks

I hosted a very friendly and pleasant chap from Egypt – a telecommunications technician working for Huwaei doing work at Vodacom and Cell C in preparation of their wireless LTE roll-out (so it is coming!)

Now our friend will have a few days (Tuesday to Friday) to his availability next week and really wanted to see the Kruger National Park. Who don't want to see it? And as I started to advise him we hit a big stumbling block: For the budget / backpacker type of traveller options are really limited.

All of us started out as a junior at some point with some budget restrictions, so I really have a lot of empathy with my friend, it is really not a matter that he is merely stingy.

Using the City-bug is cost efficient and fairly quick, but this only gets you to Nelspruit, where one could rent a car and do a self drive – but he does not want to drive in SA as the risk arising from cost implications in case of an accident is too high in his opinion, I think the taxi’s in Jozi scared him somewhat.

We figured out that another possibility is InterCape bus service, that can take him to Komati and there he can stay at Tambarini or one of the other options, substantially more affordable than staying inside the Kruger. The return journey will just be cutting it fine with his departure time at OR Tambo, but if needed I can pick him up at Witbank and take him straight to the airport, cutting out the Park station stop and Gautrain journey.

But I could not find a reasonably priced operator that makes daytrips into the Kruger, as accommodation inside the Kruger, unless you camp is a bit too expensive.

I would have thought the market is quite good for a backpackers hostel outside the Kruger that offers affordable daytrips in and out the Kruger, but this does not seem to be the case.

Is there anybody with experience in this field that can shed some light on the matter? Would it be acceptable to stay at Komatipoort and the lodge owner takes him to Crocodile River Bridge Gate and he try and get a lift at the Gate?

Any help or advise in this regard will be appreciated, even if somebody just knows about a lift on tuesday to Komati from Jhb somewhere.

Regards

Marnus

PS. At this stage a great thank you for Hannes from Tambarina in Komatipoort who helped with a special accommodation package.

http://www.krugerview.com/accommodations.htm

Kruger view backpackers - has anybody ever stayed here?

Try these two local operations in Nelspruit, they both do tours into the Kruger Park with accommodation options, both are very friendly and helpful.

http://www.funkymonkeys.co.za/

http://www.krugerandmore.co.za/kacco...llers-inn.html
    2011 FREELANDER 2 SD4 S
    ex - 2004 DISCO TD5 GS Auto
    ex - 1997 DISCO Tdi

Thanks RandyTD5, I will follow up! Knew about funkymonkeys but did not know they offered tours to the Kruger - thanks for that info.

This guy's excitement is equal to a south african en route to his first ski trip!

Daytrip from funky monkeys to KNP is 1150 give or take, not sure if it includes meals and or 248 foreigner conservation fees. 2 day trip with sleepover in park R 3650, also not sure what is included. Dormatory accommodation 140 pn, kruger view backpackers in Komati is 150 ppn. So there are some bacpackers, but if you are 2 people and avis will be the cheapest way to see the park.