New ferry Lake Malawi.

Default New ferry Lake Malawi.

For your information, from the Malawi tourism website http://www.malawitourism.com/pages/content/index.asp?PageID=164 and here http://www.maravipost.com/201501278065/Travel-Tourism/malawi-tourism-new-ferry-launched-on-lake-malaw.html it appears that there is now a new ferry on Lake Malawi. The old MV Ilala has been replaced by the brand new MV Chilembue.The Chilembwe currently operates between Nkhata Bay and Monkey Bay, calling in at Likoma and Chizumulu Islands both northbound and southbound. It carries far more passengers at 160 people and is much faster at 20 knots, almost halving travelling times.

I have been looking at storing my vehicle at one of the camps at Nkhata Bay and taking the ferry to Likoma Island further south near the Mozambique shore. Here one can stay at Mango Drift or Kaya Moya (upmarket). From the sailing schedule it appears one can leave Nkhata at 15H30 on a Monday and return on the Chilembue on a Saturday at 12H30. The one way first class fare fare is 9,900 Malawi Kwatcha (about R250).

Any comments on this new ferry and/or Likoma Island?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

I observed the new ferry docked in Monkey Bay last month and it seems to be operational. The way I understand it, is that the MV Chilembwe is an additional ferry and the Ilala is back in action after the 2013 refurbishment, new engines and all. In fact, on the 29th of Dec 2014 the Ilala was out to sea (lake) during my visit to Monkey Bay.
    Last edited by Kierie; 2015/01/29 at 07:47 AM.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    Ironman Suspension kit
    Suzuki Snorkel
    WECA off road bumper
    Frontrunner roof rack

Venter custom 4x4 trailer

Interesting Kierie, I wondered why they were decommissioning Ilala after the recent major refurbishment.

The Maravi Post report would then be inaccurate. I did see other reports that Ilala was back in action after her refit.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Interesting Kierie, I wondered why they were decommissioning Ilala after the recent major refurbishment.

The Maravi Post report would then be inaccurate. I did see other reports that Ilala was back in action after her refit.

Yes there seems to be some confusion around that, as even I thought that the Ilala is no more. However, the port official at the gate to the docks, explicitly told me that the Ilala is now back in action. How reliable he is as an information source, is perhaps another and altogether different discussion..
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    Ironman Suspension kit
    Suzuki Snorkel
    WECA off road bumper
    Frontrunner roof rack

Venter custom 4x4 trailer

Hi Stan,

Just to let you know the Ilala isn't the only boat that sails between Nkhata Bay and Likomo. There are a number of smaller, faster boats that operate out of Nkhata Bay. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a boat the day after you arrived. Prices (last year) were around 2500/4500 KW one way depending on size/speed/how much you looked like you might cough up. The Ilala is an experience to be sure but it's sailing schedule isn't exactly convenient.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Thanks Lisa, this is good to know. I suppose we will just wing it. I am torn between experiencing a little time on a ferry and convenience. In your time in Malawi did you visit Likomo?
    Landcruiser 76SW.