Hardbody 3l TD nearly 300k km - should I sell?

Default Hardbody 3l TD nearly 300k km - should I sell?

Hi All

I've a 2002 Hardbody 3l TD 4x4 d/cab since new. It has 293k km on the odo and I hear that such high mileage diesels are ticking timebombs. I would like to keep her, but would rather do the rational thing.

The turbo has been reconn'ed once and does seem to need another recon/replacement.

She's been well taken care of since new, never over-revved, not seen too much 4x4 action/heavy loads.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts, even if just one-liners!

Cheers

Keep it
    Unless you hate the datsun, then buy something else
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    1999 Colt Rodeo 3.0 V6 4x4-Build
    1998 Pajero Gen 2 SWB 3.0 V6 4x4-Resurrection
    1997 Ford Ranchero Outback 4.0 - Build

SOLD
    1979 Landrover Series 3 88" Ford 3.0 V6 - Build
    1980 Landrover Range Rover 3.5 V8 - Build
    1979 Landrover S2A 109" with Chev 4.1

Don't think you will get a lot for it, I had my engine redone for about R20k, I would keep it...
    When in doubt, choose Red ....

AIR4CE1 Guest

Most time-bombs do not have a 300k km fuse. If it was going to "pop", it would have happened long time ago.

Your vehicle is 13yrs old with 300k km. You are going to get nothing for the bakkie, definitely no where near the amount needed to replace it with a similar vehicle.

Keep it.

Start putting aside a little money for a replacement engine when the day eventually gets here, and then drive it for another 300k km.

Default 3 out of 3

Wow 3 out of 3 replies say I should keep her - that suits me just fine!

Very curious to see just how far I can get her!

Thanks for your replies chaps. Just to drill in a bit further:

1. Should I recondition the turbo or replace it? If the latter, is it possible/safe to get from ebay?

2. Going to invest in an EMS like the Madman or black box

3. The cat has never been gutted - about time I did?

If you have any other tips/tricks or preventative maintenance I should do now, please let me know!

I Would keep the vehicle and just maintain it. It is already paid off and doesn't cost you a fortune to maintain.

Buy a replacement unit from turbo direct or MR Turbo.

I do not advertise for them, I just get info from there.
    Nato

'13 Nissan Navara 2.5TDCI DC 4X4
    Ex '08 Nissan Hardbody 3.0 TD 4x4

You are going to get very little for it, keep it. In fact (very seriously) if you do decide to sell can I please be at the top of your list. I am looking for a reasonably priced 4x4 bakkie for my smallholding.

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

AIR4CE1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DMH View Post
    Thanks for your replies chaps. Just to drill in a bit further:

1. Should I recondition the turbo or replace it? If the latter, is it possible/safe to get from ebay?

2. Going to invest in an EMS like the Madman or black box

3. The cat has never been gutted - about time I did?

1, Why, what is wrong with the turbo ?
    2. What is an EMS ?
    3. The only Cat to be gutted is the neighbour's cat that comes over an craps in your veggie garden. There is no Cat on a 2002 Hardbody.

Quote Originally Posted by AIR4CE1 View Post
    1, Why, what is wrong with the turbo ?
    2. What is an EMS ?
    3. The only Cat to be gutted is the neighbour's cat that comes over an craps in your veggie garden. There is no Cat on a 2002 Hardbody.

HAHAHA

Well took the bakkie to an exhaust place an they put it up on a hoist and pointed to what they said was the catalytic converter. Said they'd gutted it on another HB and it was a real mission, having to get to it from the top of the engine.

EMS - engine monitoring system - prob. the most important is checking EGTs (or so I hear). Also to warn in case of overheating, etc.

About the turbo, seemed to be blowing out a little bit of oil - was told that it may need a service.

Dave, after all the comments, think I should hold on to her, but I know where to find you if I do decide to sell.

Cheers

I know of a guy in the Nissan 4x4 club who has a very early (imported for Mauritius nogal) hardbody double cab 2.7TD

At 800,000km he replaced both the motor and the gearbox with EuroJap import "just to refresh it".

Last I heard he was approaching 1.2 million kilos. It is now time for a respray, but for the rest, it was still going strong!
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)