Designing a 4x4 rehab clinic

Default Designing a 4x4 rehab clinic

Hello all!

So I got this message from a friend of mine who works at Manguzi Hospital (AKA Kosi bay):

"I've been given the exciting task of designing a 4x4 rehab clinic vehicle. They are envisioning stuff folding out into treatment areas, etc for physio, OT, speech.... I am cautioning against height and weight of vehicle due to low hanging branches and terrain..... I thought you may be able to point me in the direction of state-of-the-art 4x4 travel vehicle stuff that could provide a platform for discussion of design. Any ideas or links?"

And my first idea is to ask here. What are your ideas? They need a good idea/ drawing board plan in about 3 weeks, then they can do detailed design. Maybe the guys from Blinkgat products, or other people in that line, want to put forth ideas/tenders? I am not sure if they have builders lined up but I suspect not. If you have questions etc I will send them on.

Some suggestions for a base vehicle has been Unimog but the height and higher code license could be a problem. Remember, this will not be mall cruising, 90% of the time will be hard sand roads, so it will have to be tough. Setup/packing up in 20 mins or will help.

I have seen a bit of what she and the people of the hospital does with primary healthcare, lets just say we need more of them, they help a lot of deep rural people with very little resources. I remember her one bush clinic next to the Kosi lakes had quite a view :-)

On her: http://ysa2014.mg.co.za/maryke-bezui...ysiotherapist/
    http://www.ruralrehab.co.za/

Thanks!

4x4 Rehab Clinic? Who wants to be rehabilitated from 4x4?
    Gandalf: '77 Series III 109" SW (He's old, he's grey, he smokes, but on an adventure you want him as companion...)
    HF, VHF, UHF
    Detroit Locker rear, Truetrac LSD front
    Hardened valve seat ULP conversion
    British cut cam shaft
    VW carb conversion, electric fuel pump
    G-Tech Electronic Ignition
    Hankook M/T 235/85/16

Frodo: '12 Jimny (SWAMBO)
    Stofpad spacer lift and underbody protection

Platkar (work): '15 Ranger 3.2 AT 4x4 with AluCab

Would something like a Mercedes Sprinter or Iveco Daily work?
    Perhaps Raymond from TuffStuff can comment on how their Iveco is working out?

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

Maybe we need some more detail on intended use, payload, extra equipment, etc.

The Iveco Daily single or double-cab 4x4 is an excellent base in the sub-3.5T range.

Mog is bigger, higher and heavier.

Tata sells a nice forward control, I've seen them second hand for around R120k.

Adding an aluminium container to the rear of a flat-bed FC type vehicle isn't rocket science, but you do need to consider chassis flex etc.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Get a couple of cheap, second-hand, stock Jimny's. Take out back seats, add drawer system and call it a day!
    2012 Jimny - sold
    2014 Jimny - sold
    2014 Jimny
    One life, Zook it!

Quote Originally Posted by MalOomJan View Post
    Get a couple of cheap, second-hand, stock Jimny's. Take out back seats, add drawer system and call it a day!
    You earn your avatar name.

" They are envisioning stuff folding out into treatment areas, etc for physio, OT, speech..."

The only thing a Jimny can pack is a 6-pack of beer and a folding braai.

They're talking about a MAN'S 4x4 here, not a hairdresser's car!
    Percivamus

I have a holiday photo dating back to 2005 or 2006 - mobile clinic, in that very area.

they have been doing this for many years ....

only way to improve would be to go to Blinkgat products .....

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

" They are envisioning stuff folding out into treatment areas, etc for physio, OT, speech..."

If you look at the link Maryke is a lady, not a MAN!
    2012 Jimny - sold
    2014 Jimny - sold
    2014 Jimny
    One life, Zook it!

Us Hobbits are going to be upset again
    Jimny 2012

If you look at the link Maryke is a lady, not a MAN!
    Was talking about you, Pietie you knob!
    Percivamus

Talk about opening (a Small) can of worms
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    Talk about opening (a Small) can of worms
    Jimny owners have to ask their female partners to open any can of any discription, regardless of size..............
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by ZS6HDV View Post
    4x4 Rehab Clinic? Who wants to be rehabilitated from 4x4?
    lol. Jip, true, the title can be misunderstood... Mobile 4x4 clinic for rehabilitation where you need T4A, TuffStuff and (Your brand name here)? (Hey, sponsership could be an option )

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    Would something like a Mercedes Sprinter or Iveco Daily work?
    Perhaps Raymond from TuffStuff can comment on how their Iveco is working out?
    Very true. Raymond?

Maybe we need some more detail on intended use, payload, extra equipment, etc.

The Iveco Daily single or double-cab 4x4 is an excellent base in the sub-3.5T range.

Mog is bigger, higher and heavier.

Tata sells a nice forward control, I've seen them second hand for around R120k.

Adding an aluminium container to the rear of a flat-bed FC type vehicle isn't rocket science, but you do need to consider chassis flex etc.
    Agreed. I will send on questions. I suspect the the aluminium container is not rocket science, but it will take the most time to consider needs etc once you have your base.

Mmm, actually, a valid question, why one big thing in place of 2 or 3 smaller vehicles? And since my white "appliance" keeps on breaking I am not one to bash any brands.. (More on that when I have more time)

My December/January 1973 gap between matric and varsity was spent at Manguzi Hospital since my father is (still) friendly with the then Superintendent Dr Cliff Allwood. I went on a few clinics with him in Manguzi's LandRovers (even fixed a blown head gasket there). But to get to the point . . . .

The clinics then were tents, left with the locals to erect and maintain. Sometimes a hut. Patients obviously couldn't access the vehicle. So the vehicle is just a cargo carrier, and unloads/reloads quickly to the tent/hut. The roads/tracks were often very narrow and overgrown, with the LandRovers only just getting through. The vehicles couldn't really be much higher, wider or longer at that time, and I doubt it has changed. Iveco probably already too high chassis, leaving little space for low-clearance box on top.
    Last edited by Gerald_D; 2015/01/27 at 10:01 AM.

Do they need single cab or double cab? If single cab they have lots of space to work with, double cab will be more of a challenge.
    Maybe look at one of the single cab chassis cab 4x4 vehicles. Something like the Ford Ranger 2.2xl plus (of so iets) and then have a body builder like the camper guys in Knysna or Blinkgat build a back/body according to their needs.

I reckon the Iveco is ideal, but it is big. The medical team will know if a trokkie will get into the tight places.

There was an article in one of the 4x4 Rags a while back about a guy from Cape town that had a removable camper set-up on the back of a flatbed converted Land Cruiser. You can build different containers for the same platform, designed for specific needs and take the one you need for the clinic at the time along. (Like the containers they use on the Helkom Techies' bakkies)

My suggestion would be converting a Cruiser or Patrol (or 2)

Any progress on deciding on a base vehicle?
    Series Landies make me "seriously" nostalgic

Quote Originally Posted by JohanHaarhoff View Post
    Hello all!

So I got this message from a friend of mine who works at Manguzi Hospital (AKA Kosi bay):

"I've been given the exciting task of designing a 4x4 rehab clinic vehicle. They are envisioning stuff folding out into treatment areas, etc for physio, OT, speech.... I am cautioning against height and weight of vehicle due to low hanging branches and terrain..... I thought you may be able to point me in the direction of state-of-the-art 4x4 travel vehicle stuff that could provide a platform for discussion of design. Any ideas or links?"

And my first idea is to ask here. What are your ideas? They need a good idea/ drawing board plan in about 3 weeks, then they can do detailed design. Maybe the guys from Blinkgat products, or other people in that line, want to put forth ideas/tenders? I am not sure if they have builders lined up but I suspect not. If you have questions etc I will send them on.

Some suggestions for a base vehicle has been Unimog but the height and higher code license could be a problem. Remember, this will not be mall cruising, 90% of the time will be hard sand roads, so it will have to be tough. Setup/packing up in 20 mins or will help.

I have seen a bit of what she and the people of the hospital does with primary healthcare, lets just say we need more of them, they help a lot of deep rural people with very little resources. I remember her one bush clinic next to the Kosi lakes had quite a view :-)

On her: http://ysa2014.mg.co.za/maryke-bezui...ysiotherapist/
    http://www.ruralrehab.co.za/

Thanks!
    The Northern Cape Medical Services have been doing this for a number of years. I recall a few years ago in Kuruman I met up with an old school friend who was involved in the rural medical services and she drove out in one of these modified hard-assed "ambulances" on a daily bases.

They were Land Cruisers with a cab on the back very similar to what Blinkgat Products are offering. Obviously, the inside fitted to suit a "mobile clinic" situation.

They carried some water, bull bar with winch, branch deflectors, suspension upgrade, onboard refrigeration for medicine and vaccines, I think a small generator, awning to provide shade, small internal bed for child examinations and a host of drawers and cupboards for storage.

This was quite a few years ago and not sure if they still do it that way.
    Somewhere there must be specifications for this.
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab