Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Samaya View Post
    I doubt you would notice a BIG improvement in ride quality. Ride comfort is slightly improved but the main advantage comes when going offroad. You will have higher sidewalls to protect your rims and you can deflate the tyres more.
    There will be a small amount of extra body roll so you will need to take corners a little bit slower. But honestly, I doubt you will notice any of this.

For a bit better ride, deflate your tyres by 0.1 bar and see how it feels then. You will have to test by inflating or deflating the tyres.

Agreed. Fitting 235/70r16 tyres will not improve ride quality. Try letting out some air, perhaps 2.2 all around as opposed to the recommended 2.4 all around.

Fitting the 235 tyres will improve off road comfort slightly, but the main incentive for fitting larger diameter tyres, should be a gain in off road capability.
    Now: Land Rover D4 SDV6 SE 4x4
    Platkar: BMW M6 convertible 4.4L V8 Twin Turbo power
    Ex: Mercedes ML 500 4x4 with LR
    Ex: Ford Ranger Wildtrak bitdi 10spd 4x4
    Ex: Suzuki GV 3.2 V6 Legend

Default Suzuki GV Headlight Auto-leveling System

There have been a few questions asked pertaining to the GV headlight auto-levelling system - attached some information regarding the system operation and re-initialisation of the sensors.

Suzi Blue 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Air Lift 1000 60902 Kit, 16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres
    Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates, Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    Metalian Genie Trailer

Thanks for the pdf's - great info!!

I suspect mine is working OK as when I re-installed the 2mm shorter arm, they levelled themselves.

I will add a few water drums to the boot on the weekend and check again!

Thanks, Kierie and Samaya, will try that.

I got this info from another site:
    http://www.suzuki-forums.com/2g-2006...nual-link.html

There are lots of info on the GV there as well but this forum has more

Bulbs Replacements:
    (source: Osram Sylvania)

Low Beam: H7
    High Beam: 9005 (HB3)
    Fog Lights: H11
    Parking Lights: 2827
    Front & Rear Turn Signals: 992
    Tail Light & Stop Light: 7443
    Backup Light: 7440
    Map Light (Front Roof): 175
    Dome Lights (Middle Roof & Rear Roof): 3175
    High Mount Stop Light, License Plate & Trunk: 2825

Wheels:
    Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4.5" (114.3 mm)
    Lug Nuts and Locks Thread Size: 12 x 1.25

Camber Angle Adjustment Bolts (Front)(For Lifted GVs)
    Part No.: 81250 (Pair - 2 Bolts)
    Size: 12mm
    * With 1 Bolt per Tire = 2
    * With 2 Bolts per Tire = 4

Part No.: 81260 (Pair - 2 Bolts) [RECOMMENDED]
    Size: 14mm
    * With 1 Bolt per Tire = 2
    * With 2 Bolts per Tire = 4

Note: It is recommended to measure the currently installed factory bolt before buying as some year and market models may not fit the 81260 bolts (like 2006's GV for US market). Make sure the metric grade of the bolt you're buying is 12.9 for added security, do not buy anything less than 8.8 grade. Use only one bolt (upper) per tire to adjust the camber angle, leaving the lower factory bolt, it is actually not needed to change the lower bolt for proper angle adjustment. Rear camber angle doesn't need any aftermarket bolts for its adjustment, it can be easily adjusted with factory bolts.

Door Speakers Size:
    Front: 6.5"
    Rear: 6.5"

Wiper Blades:
    Front: 19"
    Rear: 12"

MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDED:
    (source: Suzuki Grand Vitara Owner's Manual)

Fluids:
    Engine Oil: SAE 5W30
    Automatic Transmission Fluid: SUZUKI ATF 3317 or Mobil ATF 3309 or Shell Spirax ATF DEX 2
    Brakes and Clutch: DOT3
    Power Steering: ATF DEXRON -II (ESSO JWS 2326) or DEXRON -III, or equivalent.

Spark Plugs:
    DENSO SK20PR11 or NGK IFR6J11 (RECOMMENDED)

Tire Size & Pressure:
    Size: P225/70R16 or P225/65R17
    Pressure:
    Front: 32 psi
    Rear: 32 psi
    Spare: 32 psi
    Last edited by Samaya; 2016/12/07 at 02:05 PM.
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 HO LE - Mine

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Samaya For This Useful Post:

Default Protection of spare tyre

I have always found that the UV levels are high and the spare wheel is exposed to the sun in one spot for a long time which is not good for the rubber compounds.
    The suppliers quoted R 5000 plus for the solid spare wheel cover, so I looked for a more economical option.
    I took a standard vinyl spare wheel cover and made a hole in the center. Strengthened it around the hole and then fitted the plastic cover back on again.
    I also have a valve extension so don't need to take the cover off for checking pressure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000608.JPG 
Views:	546 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	336948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000607.JPG 
Views:	634 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	336949  
    Brian Coleman
    2002 Hilux Raider 2,7i S/C 4x4 + Canopy Caravan

Nicely done ☺

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Air Lift 1000 60902 Kit, 16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres
    Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates, Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    Metalian Genie Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    Nicely done

Excellent work

Default GV 3.2V6 Shock Absorber replacement (alternative)

From an older post :

So I have just replaced my front suspension...I wasn't happy with the ride & sure the front shocks were gone.... tried to do it myself but that made me swear a lot....again.

Attachment 312653

I replaced at the front

Struts supports Suzuki R850 plus vat each
    Strut bearings Suzuki R240 plus Vat each

KYB shocks

LF/RF Excel-G , 334465, 334464 R850 ea from Tonessens

Suzuki quote R4200 plus VAT for the front and about the same for the rear.

Speedy fitted the two fronts for R750 and aligned for R240.

Feels so much better.

The two rears will arrive next week and I'll fit them myself.

Rear Excel-G 343435 R500 ea from Tonnesens

When the original front Suzuki struts were off I took a look... guess what is stamped on them? KYB Japan ��... don't waste your money.

Speedy confirmed the shocks and the bearings were shot...at 107000 km I am not surprised!

The plastic strut bearing fits into the bottom of the strut support... The support has a shock absorbing rubber insert.... on mine I think the supports would have been ok to leave but the bearings were definitely shot.

Attachment 312929

Attachment 312929

Anyway, I thought to replace everything to cover all the bases... I know now I have complete new control arms, struts, bearings and supports at the front... and it feels great!

So..completed my suspension upgrade/replacement with the fitting of the (finally arrived) KYB rear shocks....Attachment 314512 This was an easy job and took me 45 minutes.Attachment 314510

The GV now feels really great and I realise how pap my old shocks really were... Attachment 314509It almost feels like somebody adjusted my seat back and I have a more upright driving position ��....it may of course be my imagination ....Attachment 314511.

I feel really good on the road again ... very happy

Metalian Genie Trailer

Default Suzuki GV 3.2V6 Engine Oil Change

From an earlier Post

Changed the oil & oil filter on my GV today ....used Shell Helix 5W-40, GUD 533 oil filter and replacement sump washer.

Attachment 289574

Please note GUD catalog incorrectly specifies Z211 oil filter for the 3.2V6 GV ... this is incorrect & will not fit. The AC Delco PF48 used by Suzuki cross-references to the Z533 GUD filter

Draining the oil was easy...just had to remove the centre bash plate to expose the sump...17 mm socket did the rest. The oil filter is difficult to acces & a chain wrench will do the job.

6l of the golden Helix oil & GV happy & purring.

I have now replaced all oils in my GV over the last month... happy 100 000km Suzi Blue

Metalian Genie Trailer

Default GV 3.2V6 AT, Diff and Transfer case oil change

From an earlier Post

I took advantage of the long weekend and spent a lot of it lying under my GV. It was a good thing - I saw some things I needed to see, which were not really what I wanted to see!

Anyway, this is my 100 000km check & I had promised Suzi Blue a replacement of all essential oils.....Transmission fluid, Transfer case oil & front & rear diff oils.

Prior to changing, obviously I went shopping for what I would need - 4l of ATF, 4l of gear oil, copper drain plug washer, thread sealant, rubber gloves, newspaper.....I searched for the Suzuki AT fluid to no avail & Suzuki Kenilworth sold me the Shell Spirax S2ATFD2 which I confirmed with Suzuki SA would be fine for my GV.I sourced Castrol EPX 80W-90 GL5 for the transfer case/diffs.

First day I spent with degreaser under the car cleaning around the drain/fill plugs & familiarising myself with the unfamiliar bottom of my car. There was a fair amount of grime around the rear diff, but looked like overflow from the fill cap which had never been cleaned. Of more concern was a bigger amount around the transfer case, and this looked more like it came from the join to the front propshaft ... so could be that seal is faulty. It is all clean now so I'll be able to monitor with the new oil.

I drained & refilled the Auto Transmission Fluid .... Advice had been to measure how much comes out & replace it with the same amount ...3.4 l came out...fitted copper washer & resealed the sump. I made a thin line funnel out of an aquarium sand cleaner to fill the ATF and slowed down after 2.5l... then started GV let it run a little and shifted from P through all the gears & back again ... checked fluid, was just touching the dipstick... added another 250ml, same thing, then final 250ml... 3l total brought level up to just below low level H . Took the car for a drive and checked again & level was perfect, just below H upper level. So possible it was slightly overfilled previously.

As there are a total of 11 l of ATF in the vehicle I will redo this again twice and then should have a qood quantity of new ATF in the car. Good check is to whether or not you see red oil on the dipstick.

I would recommend to other owners to do this ATF fluid change at 75000km - I think 100000km is too long.

I changed the transfer case oil - this was most accessible & easy - got a 6.25mm hex to 3/8in square converter and bent a 6.25mm hex driver at right angles for leverage... the drain & fill plugs came out fine..... the transfer case oil was dark & some metal sludge on the magnetic drain plug... not bad for 100k. Put thread sealant on drain plug & re-sealed it. To fill I used a 1m length of 10mm hose and then cut the pourer spout on the gear oil container 1cm below the nozzle and pushed it into the pipe. I then could hold the bottle upside down at the side of the car and squeeze while I watched progress under the car. I had to wrap a wad of tissue around the spout to stop leakage but worked ok. I filled until I just got leakage out the fill hole, then re-sealed.

Rear diff was also relatively easy, but front diff required me to remove the bash plates for access. Then I had to put the square plug adaptor in the drain/fill plug & turn from below with a flat 10mm spanner...

Put it all back together & GV is running like clockwork... the AT fluid change has dolved a few niggles ... the biggest one being a bit of a clunk when shifting ftom P to D or R sfter being parked, and shifting in general feels much smoother.

I'll do an AT fluid rotation every 30000km now.... there's no reason not to, and it has to help your engine.

I am so glad I've done all the oils now - I would have done sooner, but I specifically asked Suzuki service both times it was at the garage to check all oils, and I would replace if necessary ... it is obvious that this was not done because they were all black. In future I trust only my own judgement.

Oh yes, while I was under the car noticed the rear rubber ball joints on both left & right control arms are torn, so going to need to replace those. ... yay ��.

And I have put my 18" wheels & road tyres back on for a while .... damn drives nicely on the road with those. .. I want to see what difference it does to consumption. And they are so quiet....

Busy weekend....☺
    Pictures......

Filling with ATF oil
    Attachment 277987

Rear diff plugAttachment 277988
    Tool for plug removalAttachment 277989
    Front diff plugAttachment 277990
    Broken rear rubber ball joint on control arm Attachment 277991

Metalian Genie Trailer

I would imagine the diff oil changes would be the same between the 2.4 and the 3.2.

Planning on doing this in the next few weeks as well. Preventative maintenance
    2011 Pajero Sport
    2009 Zook Jimny Sport - with too many extras to mention

True fuel consumption is shown as FuellyData+7.4%

Build Thread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Rivar View Post
    I would imagine the diff oil changes would be the same between the 2.4 and the 3.2.

Planning on doing this in the next few weeks as well. Preventative maintenance
    Hey Rivar. ..glad you're enjoying your GV ...oil changes should be every 45k. ...having changed all of mine now at 100k. ..will plan to do every 30k or once a year ...it's really not an expensive exercise and can only be good for the vehicle

Metalian Genie Trailer

Thanks Dave. Planning to get around to this shortly. Just sorting out some tire issues with the dealer
    2011 Pajero Sport

Default GV Heater not heating

OK, my heater has not been working properly since Suzuki dealers replaced the antifreeze on the 90k service ... but I only picked it up the following winter ... and could not quite manage to get it sorted, but lived with it. It is now winter again and 20k kms later and I thought I must fix it now before it gets really cold.

Theory - The GV has a heater core in the centre console, and there is always supposed to be a flow of hot antifreeze through the heater core. When you select warm air, a blend vane mixes cool air from aircon with warm air from heater core to attain the required temp. There is no valve in the coolant flow.

Symptoms - Especially if climate control is on (AC) the air does not get warm. If AC is off, on Hi it is luke warm at most. Also there is a gurgling sound after I switch the GV off, so definitely sounds like air in the system. You can access the inlet and outlet pipes under the dashboard. The lower one is inlet and the upper one outlet. They should both be hot - in my case the lower one was hot, the upper one not - indicating no flow.

So, two possibilities - heater core clogged or air inside. I decided to go the whole way this time. I flushed the cooling system, drained it, and then also disconnected the inlet and outlet hoses for the heater core on the engine side, and ran a hosepipe at low pressure through the heater core - no clogging found.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car 20140505_121742.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	348999

I refilled the cooling system with Castrol Radicool SF (Silicate Free) as per the users manual. I was surprised that I could only get about 6l in, whereas the manual said 9l...but assume that some liquid still lies in the engine behind the thermostat.....

Same issue still after taking a drive. So need to burp the cooling system to try and get the air out...did some research on the internet, which recommended allowing the engine to run from cold until the thermostat opened with the radiator cap off and an funnel connected in its place.

Name:	car 20150517_130118.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	349000

I discovered that a 2l coke bottle with the plastic ring still on it bound up with some plumbers tape fitted in the radiator fill hole perfectly. Cut off the bottom of the bottle, fitted and started up. The lower portion of the bottle started to fill nicely and sure enough here came a whole bunch of bubbles. as the car warmed up I increased the revs to 1500 and more bubbles arrived and the fluid level rose, and as it reached operating temperature, thermostat opened, level dropped and full flow was in process.

Name:	car 20150517_130124.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	349001

Switched off engine, replaced radiator cap, and took it for a drive - and hallelujah, my heater is working again . Happiness ... bring on winter!!!

Metalian Genie Trailer

Shoh what a mission! Thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Kierie View Post
    Shoh what a mission! Thanks Dave!
    I tell you....a few choice swear words have been issued ...however, as I was beginning to think thermostat and/or water pump replacement....a good and timeous end 😆
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2015/05/30 at 12:15 PM.

Metalian Genie Trailer

Nice little trick. Been doing this with all my cars from my very first car. Crank the heater up to full heat and run the fan. No better way that I know to get all the bubbles out.
    2011 Pajero Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Samaya View Post
    From an older post
    Is dit waar jy die connector agter op radio moet inplug vir die aux cable?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AUX PLUG.jpg 
Views:	2221 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	349747  
    Last edited by Willem01; 2015/06/03 at 10:36 PM.

Ja die wit ene ☺
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 HO LE - Mine

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast