Malawi car insurance

Cool Malawi car insurance

Hi all,

I have a question conceerning car insurance in Malawi:

I have presently an insurance from Alexander Forbes in Swakop which covers most neighbouring countries, including i.A. Malawi.

I had twice problems with Malawian officials who pretended that my insurance was not valid, as the insurer has no adress in Malawi (which is wrong, Forbes has offices in both Lilongwe and Blantyre), nevertheless they stopped me twice, i had even to pay for a US $ 15 fine "including receipt" at the road block on the main road from Chipata border post to Lilongwe last November (the first one when you come from the border).

Now, as I do not intend to be in SA this year, I am switching to a COMESA "yellow" card, which is issued from Forbes Zambia, who are my third party insurer for this country.

The yellow card shows that it is valid in Malawi, but there is no evidence of any adress in this country on the documents..

Has anybody had this kind of a problem.. when they say the insurer must have an adress in Malawi, is it correct or is it a rip off (which I suspect)?

Thanks in advance for your replies..

Cheers..

It seems the police in Malawi check for the insurance sticker on the windshield. No sticker, no arguments, just pay the fine! Wrong IMHO but TIA.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    Ironman Suspension kit
    Suzuki Snorkel
    WECA off road bumper
    Frontrunner roof rack

Venter custom 4x4 trailer

There is no problem if you have a COMESA yellow card. We had it checked numerous times between Chipata and Lilongwe and they were all very friendly and satisfied. We did, however, also have a Kenyan insurance sticker on the windscreen but that was never checked - just the COMESA yellow card which shows it is valid for Malawi. We drove through Malawi in November 2014 in a UK registered Land Rover.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    There is no problem if you have a COMESA yellow card. We had it checked numerous times between Chipata and Lilongwe and they were all very friendly and satisfied. We did, however, also have a Kenyan insurance sticker on the windscreen but that was never checked - just the COMESA yellow card which shows it is valid for Malawi. We drove through Malawi in November 2014 in a UK registered Land Rover.
    Thank you !!

We probably drove more or less at the same time, I drove from South Luangwa to Lilongwe / Senga Bay via Chipata on November 20th, then from Senga Bay to Chintheche (some 50 km before Nkhata Bay) on November 22nd (black Land Rover Defender, French registered, with the wheel on the wrong side)..

Cheers..