Free Weekend in Kenya - ideas?

Default Free Weekend in Kenya - ideas?

I will be in Nairobi for business for two weeks in March, and will likely have a free weekend. Any suggestions on where to spend the weekend. I know this is a self-drive site for rugged adventurers, however, the advice I get on this forum is always top notch! so I figured I'd see if there were any suggestions. I plan on spending some cash and flying into a park...no messing around as I only have 2 nights. Need to get my Africa wildlife fix.

Any ideas or suggestions! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shart View Post
    I will be in Nairobi for business for two weeks in March, and will likely have a free weekend. Any suggestions on where to spend the weekend. I know this is a self-drive site for rugged adventurers, however, the advice I get on this forum is always top notch! so I figured I'd see if there were any suggestions. I plan on spending some cash and flying into a park...no messing around as I only have 2 nights. Need to get my Africa wildlife fix.

Thats one hell of a username! Hi Shart! Heres a good website with a few tipps http://migrationology.com/2011/01/th...obi-kenya-101/

Enjoy your stay and its always useful to learn some swahili in order to understand what the locals are saying
    If power isn't helping, you're not using enough power.

There are lots of lovely places to go in Kenya apart from the Mara (which the previous link is about the Mara Serengeti migration). Bear in mind that the rains might have started by late March. Look at the Laikipia Wildlife Forum website (Google it) for places on the Laikipia Plateau near Mt Kenya - lots of lovely fly-in places such as Lewa Downs, Borana, Loisaba etc which, although they are expensive, are extremely nice. Or Samburu, or Meru, or Tsavo. Lots to do and see. Let's Go Travel in Nairobi can make bookings for you or give some advice about likely rainy places to avoid. Google them for contact details.

Sorry, the previous link migrationology is not about the Mara migration, but a rather good 101 things to do in Nairobi....

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

I would go into Nairobi National Park ...

For a fly-in, I would look at either Samburu or the Maasai Mara. Both great wildlife destinations. If the rains have started, Samburu is probably the better option as the Mara will get wet quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Shart View Post

Contact Incrediblebob on the forum. He will be staying in Kenya and maybe you could hook up..Bob is lots of fun
    RechardT

Now- Toyo GD6 2.8- Creed

One day is One day- Dodge Ram 6.7l TD.

You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by rechardt View Post
    Contact Incrediblebob on the forum. He will be staying in Kenya and maybe you could hook up..Bob is lots of fun
    I'm only there Feb 15th fror a few days,then 'permanently' there from 13th April
    A legend in his own mind

Meh. I have the same issue as the OP. Stuck in Nairobi over weekend of 31st of Jan. Trying to work out what I am going to do.

At the moment though, I think I am just going to lock myself up in my hotel room and work on my thesis... :/
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Well, I have narrowed it down to a small tented camp in the Olare Motorogi Conservancy, Mara, or a fly camping trip into the Mara Triangle. Both options are lots of cash - but can't wait to spend it.

Hi, I just joined this community (literally). I live in Kenya. If you are going to be here only for a couple of weeks (not clear how many days you will have to go around) I would suggest the rea of the lakes in the Rift Valley (Nakuru, Naivasha, Elementaita, Bogoria); if you have a few days free try Samburu (I agree with Wazungu Wabili 's comments). Meru is beautiful but quite bushy and you may need some four days to go around. Mt Kenya always fascinating but be aware of rains - black cotton soils there and some circuits might be closed. "Let's Go Travel" in Nairobi to choose a safari and make bookings is a good suggestion. Again, the rains issue -- keep an eye on them. Best.

Quote Originally Posted by arken View Post
    Hi, I just joined this community (literally). I live in Kenya. If you are going to be here only for a couple of weeks (not clear how many days you will have to go around) I would suggest the rea of the lakes in the Rift Valley (Nakuru, Naivasha, Elementaita, Bogoria); if you have a few days free try Samburu (I agree with Wazungu Wabili 's comments). Meru is beautiful but quite bushy and you may need some four days to go around. Mt Kenya always fascinating but be aware of rains - black cotton soils there and some circuits might be closed. "Let's Go Travel" in Nairobi to choose a safari and make bookings is a good suggestion. Again, the rains issue -- keep an eye on them. Best.
    I'm up there for good in April,I'll give you a shout
    I need some directions/advice on where to offroad,bonus would be wildlife/fishing/piktur taking etc
    Where are you situated,my house is in Karen,Miotoni Rd, right next to Ngong forest?
    A legend in his own mind

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post
    I'm up there for good in April,I'll give you a shout
    I need some directions/advice on where to offroad,bonus would be wildlife/fishing/piktur taking etc
    Where are you situated,my house is in Karen,Miotoni Rd, right next to Ngong forest?
    Hi. I am in Runda (other side of town from you). If you are here in April, why not to get together in early May and talk. I will be back end of April from a 2-month safari down to Botswana, Zimbawe, Zambia. I am a photographer myself.

Quote Originally Posted by arken View Post
    Hi. I am in Runda (other side of town from you). If you are here in April, why not to get together in early May and talk. I will be back end of April from a 2-month safari down to Botswana, Zimbawe, Zambia. I am a photographer myself.
    Will do
    Could you send my your number?
    I'm giving my SA number up,but only getting my Airtel number in Feb,then I'll send you mine

We're travelling up to Kenya via Zim,Zambia,Malawi,Tanzania-Kenya,leaving 2nd April,arriving in Nairobi around the 13th April.

So I'll call you before then,never know we might cross paths
    A legend in his own mind