Why is my Amarok splashing engine oil?

Default Why is my Amarok splashing engine oil?

On my way back from holiday in the midday heat of Aberdeen, I got a CEL while accelerating uphill followed by the familiar loss in performance associated with the engine going into limp mode. While pulling over, I noticed that I had 0 boost. (I have an android based radio in my bakkie which is connected via Bluetooth to the ODBII port, allowing me to monitor various engine readings.) Before this happened, I gained the impression that the Rok was substantially heavier on fuel than usual. This was confirmed by my subsequent fill-up.
    Upon opening the bonnet, there was some smoke coming from the hot areas of the engine. I noticed numerous oil droplets spattered all over the engine bay and those which ended up on the main turbo, were the source of the (white) smoke coming from the engine.
    Upon further investigation, I noticed that a hose running on top of the engine from the front to the rear, (what I suspect is a vacuum hose), became dislodged.

It appears that the hose has stretched for some or other reason, resulting in it coming lose. It stretched to such an extent that it is completely lose and would not stay in place when pushed back where it is supposed to be. The pipe fits inside a cavity making it impossible to fasten it in place with something like a cable tie or clamp. (I tried to tighten it with a cable tie as can be seen in the picture, but it made no difference – the pipe is still lose with absolutely no resistance when pulling it off or pushing it onto the metal pipe onto which is fits.)
    I noticed that the same happened on the other end of the pipe at the back of the engine. At that end, I was able to tighten the pipe with a cable tie to keep it in place.
    Waiting for a few minutes to allow the ECU to reset, the CEL did not come on again and I drove the last 450km home without issue.
    Does anyone know what the purpose of this pipe is?
    Could the pipe coming lose be the cause of the oil droplets in the engine bay? And caused the CEL / limp mode?
    Any suggestions why this pipe would have failed and what is going on with my baby’s (which has only done 26,000km) heart?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-17_16-14-22.jpg 
Views:	1028 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	330348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-17_16-17-00.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	330349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-17_16-18-27.jpg 
Views:	886 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	330350  
    Last edited by 949BFN; 2015/01/19 at 04:05 PM.
    2019 Amarok 3.0 Extreme Auto with Roll-n-Lock tonneau cover.
    Gone: 2013 Amarok 2.0 Auto
    2018 Audi SQ5
    Gone: 2015 Audi S8

exhauster pompie (briek booster)? Waarborg?
    147kw Hyundai Santa Fe
    183kw s6 Falcon

The brakes have not given me any indication that something is wrong with the booster.

Yes, the Amarok is still under warranty, but I would like to have an idea of what the issue is before I take it to the dealer. I've had a previous bad experience with them, when they wanted to replace the turbos when the problem was caused by an electric plug which they did not refit properly.

I had the Amarok serviced while on holiday, and did not check the oil after getting it back from service. 1,000km later, the oil is pitch black, almost like the oil was not replaced during the service (or an indication of a bigger issue with the engine?). I would have expected the oil to appear much cleaner after only doing 1,000 km since replacement, than what is currently the case .
    Last edited by 949BFN; 2015/01/18 at 11:39 AM.
    2018 Audi SQ5

Diesel oil is always pitch black - you put in clean oil, and the residual oil in the system turns it black instantly.

There seems to be a 'one way valve' in that pipe that is going loose - it may be that it's defective and pressure blows your hose off.

but if you've got no boost.... Eish.

take it to the agents, let them sort it, it's why you buy a new vehicle.

if you don't like those agents, take it up with VW and use another agents....

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    but if you've got no boost.... Eish.
    That was only the case when the CEL light came on. I believe it is part of the system taking care of the engine.

After restarting the engine, the boost was up to normal again. There has subsequently been no issue with the engine's performance (Have done a further 500km since the incident), although it keeps on splashing small droplets in the engine bay.
    Last edited by 949BFN; 2015/01/18 at 11:48 AM.
    2018 Audi SQ5

Ai, jammer man! My aandag bietjie verdeelt. Die enjin deel het bietjie soos die exhauster pompie op ons '79 Audi 5D gelyk ( jare terug ). Sal bietjie kyk wat ek kan uit-figure en jou beter opinie gee, MAAR "breather" & "exhauster" kom eerste by my op.

As dit enige konsilasie is, probleme met die enjin blyk sover baie min en vr uitmekaar te wees.

Diesel olie word inherent gou swart agv die swawel in die diesel. Belangrik is om 100% seker te wees dat jy Vw spec olie vir die spesifieke enjin gebruik. My broer se 1.9tdi LWB kombi is al die laaste 300k gechip met slegs injectors wat tussen deur vervang moes word
    147kw Hyundai Santa Fe
    183kw s6 Falcon

i was at my local VW workshop the other day and they were talking about a common issue on the newer Amaroks. something to do with a boost/air inlet something something type that leaks on some bakkies. Take it in for a check-up.
    D23 Navara LE Auto 4x4
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 75th Anniversary Edition in Sargent Green (sad to have sold it)
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 3.6 2dr (sold)
    Jurgens XT140 (sold)
    ex VW Amarok 4motion (X3)

Yup, net soos ek gedink het: die vakuum pompie vir die brieke ens. Dalk het hy foutjie opgedoen of van die valves wat saamet hom werk.
    147kw Hyundai Santa Fe
    183kw s6 Falcon

Thanks Boston. Took the Amarok in yesterday - they suspect that something (like diesel) has caused the pipe to deteriorate. If it is diesel, they do not know where it is coming from and are worried that diesel is ending up in the engine oil. (I doubt that, because the oil level has not been increasing.)
    Booked the Amarok in for a proper investigation today. Will keep you guys posted.
    2018 Audi SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Diesel oil is always pitch black - you put in clean oil, and the residual oil in the system turns it black instantly.

Not on "modern" turbo diesels. When I do an oil change I actually find it hard to read the oil level from the dipstick for a few thousand km`s before the oil dirty ups enough to make it clear (or dark )

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws. View Post
    Not on "modern" turbo diesels. When I do an oil change I actually find it hard to read the oil level from the dipstick for a few thousand km`s before the oil dirty ups enough to make it clear (or dark )
    That has been my experience as well, that is why it concerns me somewhat that the oil looks so old and black. (Another reason to Remember to check the oil immediately following a service)

This makes me wonder - could it be that diesel does indeed end up in the engine and that is the reason why the oil darkened so quickly? Does not make sense, does it?
    2018 Audi SQ5

Black oil is from combustion by-products, not clean (unburnt) diesel. Maybe have an oil analysis done to determine the age of the oil. (Forum members like Marius Fourie can help you in the right direction there.)

If there was diesel in the pipe, your engine would have been covered in diesel, not oil.

Looking at that pipe, it is for sure not meant to get in contact with oil. So, what is the oil doing there?
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFrontier View Post
    Looking at that pipe, it is for sure not meant to get in contact with oil. So, what is the oil doing there?
    Sounds like you are spot on. Just got a call from the dealer - they believe the cause of the oil spillage is a faulty tappet cover seal in the area of the nr 1 injector. The oil has caused the pipe to deteriorate in that area, resulting in it coming loose. They are ordering the parts.

I'm not convinced about this diagnoses, because:
    (a) If this is a vacuum pump, why did this cause the pipe to become detached whilst driving?
    (b) How did the oil end up on the inside of the pipe?
    (c) Why would this have caused the pipe to suffer the same failure on the opposite end? (Apart from if a substantial amount of oil ended up in the pipe and was forced to the opposite side as well. And if that is the case, in what other parts did the oil end up where it should not be....)

EDIT:

I have subsequently received an email from the dealer, stating that the engine pushed oil past the injector which caused damage to the diesel return pipe. Now I'm even more confused. How could this cause oil to end up on the inside of the pipe? (I have not checked the inside of the this pipe, but the oil had to end up on the inside, otherwise the pipe would not have suffered the same failure on the opposite end, where there is no sign of oil on the outside of the pipe).

Maybe I should purchase a day subscription to Edwin to see if I can figure out what the purpose of that pipe is.
    Last edited by 949BFN; 2015/01/21 at 12:01 PM.
    2018 Audi SQ5