How much time around the Pans?

Smile How much time around the Pans?

Hi all, a newbie seeking some advice. apologies for lack of avatar, haven't figured that out yet...
    I'm planning a trip around Moremi, Savuit, Chobe and the pans in June/July this year as a honeymoon trip- live in the city now so the outdoors is the dream trip! I worked in the overland business accross Africa including Botswana years ago, and would love my other half to experience it. Bit late I know but we think we may have landed some campsites. My question is really relating to the pans- areas I've not been before. We are set to visit as below (getting help from an agent putting it together and booking)
    Day 11: Baines Baobab
    Day 12: Baines Baobab
    Day 13:Kubu
    Day 14: Kubu island
    Day 15: Nxai pan
    Day 16 :Nxai pan

It seems to me we are doubling back on ourselves going to Baine then Kubu the Nxai. I presume it is going to be dry in July and not much game around, so we are mainly going for the fab vistas, but I'm wondering if 6 days is too much. Are the roads hard going? we'll have a landcruiser so should cope ok if it's just usual levels of sand track. Another option is to get back to Maun early and finish up in the delta instead.

If anyone has any advice and suggestions I'd very much appreciate it!

thanks all - great site by the way!

Hi Chux,
    Kubu Island is a nice experience for ONE night. You should arrive early enough to set up every thing before enjoying the sunset. Then have fun in the early morning hours with the sun rising...and thatīs it. Wouldnīt spend two nights there.
    Itīs almost the same with Baines. Fantastic atmosphere there and very secluded but I would definetly spend my nights somewhere else. If you want to stay in that area go to Nxai. But I would prefer the Khumaga area or Moremi depending on your itinerary...

regards
    Mabe

Chux, the animals in the Makgadikgadi Pans National Park migrate in a circuit annually according to rainfall patterns, the presence of drinking water and decent grazing. In recent times the Boteti River always has water. Thus in the dry season as in June/July many of the animals and predators will be in this area, of course more so as the dry season progresses into October. The migration does vary depending on the vagaries of the rainfall.

I agree that Khubu and Baines are good for one night only. I would split the rest of the time between Khumaga Camp on the Boteti and Nxai Pan. As an alternate to Nxai have a look at Tree Island Camp in the central plains. Your agent should be able to help with bookings.

In Moremi, should you want to include this, there is nothing wrong with South Camp (Maqwee Camp), which might still have vacancies, some new drives have opened up here to the Black Pools area. This lies just north and east of South Gate Camp and apparently has been very productive.

At that time of the year the roads will be sandy but fine in a Cruiser.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Default How much time around the Pans

Thanks so much for the feedback, very much appreciated. Nothing like getting firsthand opinion, and my knowledge is at best out of date!
    I think we were out of luck at Khumaga which is a shame, another trip, so will explore the South Gate tip and try and get a date in there somewhere, and ask about Tree Island. Going to go with one night at Kubu, Baines and Nxai then try and get into a camp for the last few nights for a shower- probably a good idea by then. Still waiting for confirmation on camp bookings so can't let myself get too carried away, but keeping everything crossed and holding my breath.... 20 years absent this trip has been a long time coming, only downer is I won't want to leave again!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Honeymoon!!! hope your relationship is strong!! Well guess it must be as it seems as if you have SWAMBO's buy in.

I would suggest:
    1 night Khubu (only because you seem set on it)
    1 night Baines
    2 nights Nxai
    2 nights South Gate Moremi

Also, back home via 2 nights at Tiaan's camp close to the Boteti (Khumago is full) you can cross via Ferry into the Khumago area- something different.
    Much to do in the area depends on what time you have>

Also, back home via 2 nights at Tiaan's camp close to the Boteti (Khumago is full) you can cross via Ferry into the Khumago area- something different.
    Much to do in the area depends on what time you have>[/QUOTE]

Thanks for mentioning Tiaan's Camp TRON....from one Theron to the other TRON!!!
    You can be happy if you appreciate what you have:Tiaan

There seems to be a bit of negativity coming through about Kubu Island above. People either seem to love it or hate it - I love it - see my description on it https://ourbots.wordpress.com/botswana-travel/lekhubu-island-makgadikgadi-salt-pans-botswana/

Another query for some helpful soul to ponder...To get a night in at Kubu we are looking at a long day down from Ihaha to Kubu, is this doable? Tar part from Kasane obviously ok, not sure about time needed for the Nata- Kubu section... thanks!

By the way PeteMorrie, I think I came accords your post whilst deciding to go there, thanks for making the effort to put such stuff online. Can appreciate it's not everyone's scene but we definitely want to spend the night there - the space looks amazing.

Both places -baines and kubu- are definetly worth a stay and should not be missed.
    But one night is enough.