MTB startup





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: MTB startup

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,169
    Thanked: 1

    Default MTB startup

    So there is a saying to say if you don't ask you will never know....
    I am interested in getting involved in MTB riding. But before i go out there and buy all the kit (which can be extremely expensive) i've got a bud with a spare bike who has said get some stuff together and lets go.
    So i'm in the market for a helmet and a pair of shoes which can take cleats so i can begin this new hobby hopefully.
    The helmet isn't my concern, they are fairly affordable. But the shoes on the other hand can be rather pricey. So i'm asking the forum members who may have been into this if they have any size 8 shoes they are willing to sell or part with or any ideas where i can buy a pair of affordable to start with?
    Thanks !!!
    Platkar driver...
    '99 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i - SOLD
    Challenger Bundu Basher - SOLD
    I will drive a Land Rover again...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    35
    Posts
    902
    Thanked: 62

    Default

    Sportsmans warehouse have got some affordable mtb shoes.
    FORD Ranger
    Conqueror Courage

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,370
    Thanked: 10

    Default

    get a pair of Olympus riding shoes from Sportsmans.
    Living in the land Down Under.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Weskus van Namibia
    Age
    34
    Posts
    926
    Thanked: 46

    Default

    If those don't suit you, have a look on thehubsa.co.za classifieds, lots of bargains there

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,169
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Cool thanks for the help, i eventually managed to find size 8 shoes for sale on gumtree. Haven't been to lucky with regards to correct size and value.
    Thx guys!!! I'll check out thehub as well, awesome!!
    Platkar driver...
    '99 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i - SOLD
    Challenger Bundu Basher - SOLD
    I will drive a Land Rover again...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    42
    Posts
    417
    Thanked: 36

    Default

    Mr Price Sports
    2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion Auto

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fourways
    Age
    37
    Posts
    166
    Thanked: 26

    Default

    Cajees if you have one close, you used to be able to negotiate a better price with them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fourways
    Age
    37
    Posts
    166
    Thanked: 26

    Default

    Cycle Lab in Fourways if you don't mind the drive. The sales folk will be able to steer you in the right direction.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    441
    Thanked: 18

    Default

    Your statement about the affordability of the helmet worries me a bit. Yes, there are cheap helmets out there, but rather spend more on your head than on your feet...

    2014 Amarok DC 4Motion Auto
    Conqueror Conquest

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    35
    Posts
    902
    Thanked: 62

    Default

    Yes agreed would rather start with takkies, but a decent helmet.
    FORD Ranger
    Conqueror Courage

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,544
    Thanked: 75

    Default

    Let me save you lots of pain and suffering from that martelpyp... can the idea and buy something selfpropelled with a decent seat
    Fortuner 4.0v6 Auto - Awaiting new adventures (Summit4x4 Replacement B/Bar, Stofpad Bashplate, Gerbers LR tank(50l),Frontrunner towbar, Stonehill seat covers. Grabber AT's)
    Golf vii GTi DSG - (SWAMBO's new fly machine)
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Honda NC700x White - RIP
    Honda NC700x Silver - Saving the budget

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East of PTA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,192
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    What is a decent helmet and what is the starting price for one?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    41
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    What must I look at when helmet shopping? I also got my MTB yesterday

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,411
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontd View Post
    Cycle Lab in Fourways if you don't mind the drive. The sales folk will be able to steer you in the right direction.
    What ? That's probably the most expensive cycle shop in Africa .


    But by far the nicest

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Weskus van Namibia
    Age
    34
    Posts
    926
    Thanked: 46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    Mr Price Sports
    Please don't. Their shoes, bibs and shirts of poor quality. (Expensive) lesson learned

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,169
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PierreJJ View Post
    Your statement about the affordability of the helmet worries me a bit. Yes, there are cheap helmets out there, but rather spend more on your head than on your feet...
    Yip i hear you loud and clear
    Platkar driver...
    '99 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i - SOLD
    Challenger Bundu Basher - SOLD
    I will drive a Land Rover again...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    727
    Thanked: 428

    Default

    Other option is pedals that have cleats on the one side and a normal flat pedal on the other for normal shoes/tekkies - I have them on my MTB. I can still use my MTB quickly without having to put my cleats on.
    2005 Pajero 3.2D LWB Auto
    1999 Pajero 3.5V6 LWB Manual - Deceased

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    33
    Posts
    499
    Thanked: 206

    Default

    R100 helmet for a R100 head.
    Get a helmet that fits. That doesn't move around on top of youre head. Daai ding moet stil sit.

    Starting out in cleats is a very bad idea. You dont need them yet. Period. Riding in cleats will be marginally more efficient than tekkies, but it is not as if you'll develop the smooth pedal stroke in a week or two. But learning to handle off road in tekkies will be a lot easier. My wife rode for a year in tekkies, was a good rider, but still struggled with the cleats in the beginning.
    Riding anything mildly technical proficiently needs confidence, and the worry of unclipping will always be in the back of your head.

    I've seen many rookies leaving the sport because they don't like it, and all of them tried clipless too soon.

    Moenie die kar voor die perde inspan nie.
    Just go and enjoy the bike and the outdoors, worry about the gear later.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,370
    Thanked: 10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhlippieV View Post
    R100 helmet for a R100 head.
    Get a helmet that fits. That doesn't move around on top of youre head. Daai ding moet stil sit.
    Starting out in cleats is a very bad idea. You dont need them yet. Period. Riding in cleats will be marginally more efficient than tekkies, but it is not as if you'll develop the smooth pedal stroke in a week or two. But learning to handle off road in tekkies will be a lot easier. My wife rode for a year in tekkies, was a good rider, but still struggled with the cleats in the beginning.
    Riding anything mildly technical proficiently needs confidence, and the worry of unclipping will always be in the back of your head.
    I've seen many rookies leaving the sport because they don't like it, and all of them tried clipless too soon.
    Moenie die kar voor die perde inspan nie.
    Just go and enjoy the bike and the outdoors, worry about the gear later.
    I cant disagree more. for someone just starting off, its best to learn to do it right from the start. Cleats make for easier pedalling and offer you more stability in the pedals. to learn without them and then have to go through learning to ride with them is completely counter productive.
    Living in the land Down Under.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    33
    Posts
    499
    Thanked: 206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne CH View Post
    I cant disagree more. for someone just starting off, its best to learn to do it right from the start. Cleats make for easier pedalling and offer you more stability in the pedals. to learn without them and then have to go through learning to ride with them is completely counter productive.
    Maybe if you are riding gravel roads yes. But far anything mildly technical I'm standing by my point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MTB among Giants
    By TaunB in forum Mountain Biking & Cycling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2014/09/04, 12:50 PM
  2. MTB Ride 6 July 2014
    By JHutton in forum Mountain Biking & Cycling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2014/06/24, 10:24 AM
  3. Diesel Difficult Startup.
    By KobusDJ in forum Vehicle & Technical Chat - General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2014/03/19, 10:11 AM
  4. Marrick MTB Challenge - 2011
    By Marrick in forum Mountain Biking & Cycling
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2011/02/26, 10:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •