Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    43
    Posts
    76
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    Hi. I did the fix that thread talks about wrt adding some washers under the hinges to lift the door slightly. Working well so far. Unfortunately no idea what to do about the Crack you mention but the washers work.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    Quote Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
    Hi. I did the fix that thread talks about wrt adding some washers under the hinges to lift the door slightly. Working well so far. Unfortunately no idea what to do about the Crack you mention but the washers work.
    Hi Karl,

    Do you possibly have a photo of where you put the washers? I tried, but am struggling to find where they must go.

    Kind Regards,

    James

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    43
    Posts
    76
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    I'll take a picture tonight

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    54
    Posts
    398
    Thanked: 119

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    James, you fit the washers between the door and the bottom hinge.
    My door is also cracked at the seam so I might have to fit another 1-2mm as it's starting to sag again.
    Name:  rear door.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  58.7 KB

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Stander For This Useful Post:


  6. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Stander View Post
    James, you fit the washers between the door and the bottom hinge.
    My door is also cracked at the seam so I might have to fit another 1-2mm as it's starting to sag again.
    Name:  rear door.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  58.7 KB
    Hi Adam,

    Thanks a lot!

    That looks identical to mine. This might sound silly, but do I take loosen the bolts (they seem sealed) and take door off or leave and then simply put washers onto bolt?

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    30
    Posts
    113
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    Is the door then still dust proof?

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Edw1n For This Useful Post:


  9. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    43
    Posts
    76
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    Just undo the bolts, slip the washers on and redo. No need to take door off. I loosened bolts and then just did one at a time. Bear in mind they have not been undone for a while so may be tight initially.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to KarlG For This Useful Post:


  11. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    43
    Posts
    76
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    Edwn1n no dust issues all you are doing is making it close easier. Still seals the same.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to KarlG For This Useful Post:


  13. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    Quote Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
    Just undo the bolts, slip the washers on and redo. No need to take door off. I loosened bolts and then just did one at a time. Bear in mind they have not been undone for a while so may be tight initially.
    Awesome, thanks a lot, will do it this weekend. Is there any specific washer you used?

  14. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    54
    Posts
    398
    Thanked: 119

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    Loosen the bottom bolts only, do not remove the door. It's heavier than you think.
    Loosen both bottom bolts until you have a few mm play, then wedge something under the far end of door to lift it.
    Remove 1 bolt, fit washer then replace the bolt.
    Remove 2nd bolt, fit washer and replace bolt.
    Remove the wedge from door and tighten bolts.

    Because the hinge turns 90deg the washers move the lock upwards when in closed position and nothing more.

    Makes no difference to the seals at all.

    I used SS washers if I remember correctly so that there shouldn't be any rust issues.
    Last edited by Adam Stander; 2017/08/25 at 08:45 AM.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam Stander For This Useful Post:


  16. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    30
    Posts
    113
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?


  17. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    54
    Posts
    398
    Thanked: 119

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    I did the following over the weekend as from this youtube video.

    Unfortunately I don't have the correct gas shock as mine doesn't do the soft ending like his, so I still have to catch it.
    I'm looking for the correct shock and then it's just a matter of swopping out.


  18. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    30
    Posts
    113
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    Thanks for the video.

  19. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Stander View Post
    Loosen the bottom bolts only, do not remove the door. It's heavier than you think.
    Loosen both bottom bolts until you have a few mm play, then wedge something under the far end of door to lift it.
    Remove 1 bolt, fit washer then replace the bolt.
    Remove 2nd bolt, fit washer and replace bolt.
    Remove the wedge from door and tighten bolts.

    Because the hinge turns 90deg the washers move the lock upwards when in closed position and nothing more.

    Makes no difference to the seals at all.

    I used SS washers if I remember correctly so that there shouldn't be any rust issues.
    Did this and it worked perfectly! Bolts very tight initially. Definitely take spare tyre off and also get someone to hold up door/ take off weight.

  20. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    54
    Posts
    398
    Thanked: 119

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    This is an update on my last post regarding the gas strut upgrade.
    Please don't do it!
    The single fixing point on the door is not strong enough to support all the power while opening and closing.
    It actually breaks loose but thank goodness it isn't just a nut, it is a little plate on the inside.
    So your door starts getting play because the end isn't fixed anymore.
    Yesterday I refitted the old mechanism by using the bolt to just pull the nut/plate down and tight, so at least not all lost.
    Not sure how to load a photo on the app via phone.

    Just don't do it!

  21. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Prado 120 Rear door sagging-Solution?

    Quote Originally Posted by sparewheel View Post
    Seam on the door splits causing door to sag to confirm this, open door and push it further open against hinge and watch the outer vs inner skin by bottom hinge. had same problem and replaced the door. TSA supplied the door free of charge my car was way out of warranty and no full Toyota service history, I just had it painted and spent weekend swapping door.

    What year model was/is your Prado?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Prado 120 (2003-2009) Replacement bumper
    By Riaan Jacobs in forum Toyota
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 2019/06/03, 09:48 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2013/12/03, 12:41 PM
  3. Prado 120 Rear Brake Sticking
    By Heinri in forum Toyota
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2013/02/22, 07:58 AM
  4. An interesting TJ Jeep Article.
    By Big Hilux in forum Jeep
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2009/05/19, 10:31 PM
  5. Ode to my High-Lift Jack, it's red...which makes it good
    By Bob in forum 4x4 Recovery & Recovery Gear
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2006/09/13, 11:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •