Metalian- Awesome trailer, Crap Service!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Default Metalian- Awesome trailer, Crap Service!

This is my second (and probably last) Metalian Maxi.

I bought my first one in 2012. It was delivered late and Heinz had to personally tow it up to Pretoria (still not as per spec- special axle pcd). I got it the day I was leaving for holiday, dirty and not even registered. Needless to say, we only arrived in the midnight hours at our destination. On my first serious trip, I lost a wheel bearing! After that the trailer was returned to Henk to fit the axle with the correct pcd. The first trip thereafter I lost a wheel and damaged the trailer.

I made a deal with Heinz to replace my trailer with a new one, this was in November 2013. We agreed that it is year end and the order can be processed in the new year. I requested some changes and we would then have sufficient time to spec the trailer. I made the payment and finalized the spec only in April 2013 as responses and communication from Metalian is non existing! I only received it end of November, After struggling to get a delivery date from them which was said to be July!

Best is, after Finalizing the order, Gareth left and I started over, I had to explain everything again. I made a new Excel sheet for the trailer spec together with a powerpoint presentation indicating the differences between the old and new trailer in the beginning and had to re-send and explain everything again.

The changes I made was:
    1. Kitchen door lock to be at the back of the trailer not the front as it pinches my hand
    2. Drawers to be 400mm to close up to door and additional drawers (Which wasn't fitted by the way)
    3. Additional Treadplate on the front of the mud guards
    4. Table and fridge slides to be fitted different position from the standard to suit my fridge and slide
    5. Treadplate on A frame
    6. 2.5 Ton Axle with special pcd for my mags (which they lost in the process and found again after I phoned between Henk and Heinz and Gielie as the one said the mags were with the other)
    7. A gas bottle holder that actually fits my gasbottle
    8. Rear Carrier (also not fitted)

I do not see these as major changes, perhaps I am wrong, but never did it also come over as major issues from Metalian, except for the axle that Heinz sorted out for me.

My experience with Metalian has been a horrible one with empty promises from all people involved. I think people should also know the other side of the product and I am sure some other owners can support my statements!

If you plan on ordering a trailer and they give you a delivery date, times it by two and you would still be lucky if you receive it in time. Only start planning a trip after you have your trailer!

You always have to phone them for an update on the trailer and then they can't even tell you how it is progressing. I have never had a call returned from anyone!

You will receive your trailer half build and dirty and you will have to rely on Henk to sort it out for you.

I have been lied to in my face by various of the Metalian representatives, including Henk.

I still think Metalian is one of the better trailers on the market, but comparing my first trailer with the new one, the build quality has definitely gone down substantially!

Think twice before you order one, and make sure you do not pay a cent before you get the trailer as this is the only bargaining tool you have...

PS, I have emails supporting all of the above if someone does not believe my statements!
    Hennie
    Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.
    ORRA Call Sign B165

I only had great service from them
    Choose life

certainly can't complain about service or quality either. I'm very very happy with mine.

In fact, given the number of modifications from standard that my trailer has I'm REALLY surprised Heinz hasn't told me to go away in a very rude manner....

on the other hand, I'm also the kind of guy that will buy the gas bottle that fits the standard bracket because it's just so much easier for everyone concerned...
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2015/01/05 at 09:19 PM.

I unluckily cant comment on a new trailer, but in my mini i had a massive list of ods and ends that henk and jenny had to do, and all of witch was at a very short time span. I received my trailer on time and just the way i wanted and needed it.

Sorry to hear about your issues man! Does not sound like a nice experience!!
    I like anything with 4 or more wheels...

Hennie, what is your timeline here:

Bought 1st in 2012, then had a new one made up in 2013 if I read correctly.
    It is now 2015 and you are still unhappy?

I had the opposite experience with Metalian.
    I received my trailer within 2 month from order in Aug 2013 as per my spec. Dealt with Eugene an Gareth which were fantastic.
    My trailer has not given me any trouble whatsoever after +- 25000 km on sand and tar and would buy another in a heartbeat.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara,
    Metalian Maxi bush trailer.
    Harley Davidson VRod.

Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint View Post
    I had the opposite experience with Metalian.
    I received my trailer within 2 month from order in Aug 2013 as per my spec. Dealt with Eugene an Gareth which were fantastic.
    My trailer has not given me any trouble whatsoever after +- 25000 km on sand and tar and would buy another in a heartbeat.
    Is your's the one I saw being towed through Stellenbosch on 26th?

No mine tucked away awaiting a Moz trip in Feb
    Suzuki Grand Vitara,
    Metalian Maxi bush trailer.
    Harley Davidson VRod.

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post

Ja good question, also wondering why after 2 years now the complaints?
    Last edited by LadyangeL; 2015/01/05 at 10:28 PM.
    “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
    Dr. Seuss

JohanVisser's Swambo

Platkar - Volvo V40 D3 (woelwater)
    Platkar - VW Polo 1.2 TDI Bluemotion*sold*
    Platkar - VW Vivo 1.6*sold*

I find this an interesting thread.

I, like MANY (note I said many - not Manny) others here have met Heinz personally and witnessed his facility and the way it is oh so professionally run..

BUT, just like my own companies, I am aware that things do fall off the table and it is quite possible that we have customers with expectations and experiences where we don't meet either our standards or even our perceived performance delivery of our own company.

It would be nice if this thread lasts long enough for there to be a fair retort and reply.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Hennie my dealings with you were on an assistance basis only. I was the person who assisted in packaging the wheels to go down for the build. When asked what happened to the wheels I gave you my side of the story that it had been strapped on a palet and sent to the cape via couriers. Upon delivery of the new trailer I accepted the new and your old trailer and changed the tent from the old one to the new as well as your old water pump. The fact that your trailer had a few bits outstanding and had not been 100% clean had nothing to do with you, the only reaon you were told of this was because the transport left a week earlier. Your trailer was delivered to you in a clean and complete state Tyres siliconed and body polished with the board removed that you did not have time to do yourself and neatly packaged for transport at the exorbitant cost of Mahala and if I may add this was pushed in over the busiest time of the year.
    With your paperwork I made a mistake in assuming that it would be posted and rectified that as soon as possible.

Having a build go over time is unfortunately one of those sad situations that pop up every so often. Quality is one aspect that both Heinz and myself do not compromise on. I would rather walk away than hand over a second rate product. Accepting all the custom changes at a time where we should have refused but chose to try our best to accommodate a client has bitten both of us and I am sad to say will happen again. Fortunately folks see the fact that we did our best to please them and make their holiday special rather than assume the worst.

I do not appreciate being called a liar and take that as slander.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=134656

I must say this has been an adventure from start to finish!

Late October I decided to finally buy a offload trailer. I wanted to buy secondhand seeing that trailers are normally well maintained, however the prices also stayed well maintained!
    After doing some homework and comparing various brands I knew I will never buy an Echo! I was set on a Conqueror, until I saw the Metalion!

The Metalion price was also in range and it could offer me more than expected!
    After a quick visit to Henk on a Saturday, I was convinced and placed my order the following week. I also booked my holiday that same week and knew I am cutting it close!

After a few misunderstandings, I thought I would have my trailer... Unfortunately I was a week too optimistic. I got hold of Heinz and he put me at ease that he will do everything possible to ensure I have my trailer! With that said, Heinz personally drove through the night to deliver my trailer to me and ensured I could go on holiday as planned!
    Well done Metalion and thank you Heinz, Henk and Jenny for all your effort! I am a difficult customer, but am pleased with my trailer! I already put it through some of its paces and travelled more that 1000km's gravel road including mountain passes and bad roads.

I will recommend the trailer to anyone! You can see it was designed by an Engineer

Just read that whole thread, not just the 1st one.

Hell Heinz, I'd give my linker klinker to have such compliments, not mentioning a super thread with 1000's of happy customers in here.

Dunno what happened here, and its none of my business anyways ........... but I CAN read, and I'd buy something from you in a heartbeat based on that (very) positive assumption that you clearly deserve - my well-read opinion.
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet"
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"[/COLOR]

Klaar gepraat😁

Hennie, I am so happy you've posted this on open forum, and I'll happily take whatever is due to me on my chin, but you're not representing the facts;

Your first trailer was ready for the said Friday at the end of the year. On the Wednesday we confirmed the trailer would be ready, you said you were unaware that this still had to be transported to JHB. The lead times were very short and it was December. You were most vocal and blatantly abusive. It's not true this was late. I got my guys to work past midnight on the Wednesday to complete this by the Thursday afternoon. I hooked up your trailer and drove through the night. I asked that you collect the trailer from my FIL because I needed to get back to CT asap. I had arrived at 05h45. I took a two hour nap, woke up at 08h00 and drove back to Cape Town. It was a 33 hour round trip and R7000 in fuel. I'm not even sure if you were billed the delivery charge. I'm sorry your trailer was not in pristine condition. I'll take that on the chin.

You did lose a bearing in the Transkei and called me. I was available and in the time I tried to organise you a new bearing, you sorted yourself locally. On your return I replaced the entire axle at my cost. I don't fit the bearings and buy the complete axle from Burquip. Hardly a Metalian fault.

You then lost a wheel some months later - I'm not sure what Metalian has to do with this either, but when you tried to have the trailer fixed, the repairers mentioned some issues with matching the paint finish (this is difficult), and again you were unhappy that you had a new trailer that was now going to be a repaired trailer. So out of the goodness of my heart, I offered to build you and entirely new trailer and offered that this also provided opportunity that if you wanted something changed, I could do this at the same time. I would take the old trailer back in return for the repair value only - some 20k. I sold your trailer as is at a substantial discount - for far less than the 20k I received in compensation. I had really thought I could make you a happy customer. You certainly never bought a second Metalian as you claim. I paid the costs to bring your trailer down and ship the new trailer to you, some R6000.

You now have a 2014 registration trailer with numerous changes - you did pay for the additions.

I will accept that I had a very difficult year, and have never hidden this fact. There are numerous public posts in this regard. I was late in replacing your trailer, this I accept 100%, but at no time were you without a trailer, you still had your original trailer. The only cost to you is the interest holding on some 25k. I'll happily compensate you for this.

I'm not sure how you can say the quality of Metalian has dropped. Please take photos and show this. We have had many minor improvements, the steel is the same thicknesses, and some areas have been thickened. The weld detail is the same. Please detail what is worse than I provided before.

That said, I have a few clients that think because they have paid you money, that they somehow own your soul. The challenge for all shops that manufacture items is that the buyers part is easy. If the price is 100k, there is no argument about this, 100k is 100k. But delivering a service or a hand built product is always going to be elastic and can always be questioned as to what the final value of the work should be. Some clients abuse this to the max. Strangely, I always tell them that they're welcome to return the trailer for a full refund, and buy another brand. They never do, and I view this as proof that the trailer value that my clients receive with Metalian exceeds what you can buy in the market (with humble respect to my competitors - I mean no harm to you.) This means you get more trailer for the money you paid.

I often make mistakes, and I'm the first guy to make good without anyone having to get nasty. I'm just so glad you did not email me first because I would again have been going out of my way to please you. I will not do anything more for you.

You've had the use of the trailers for some years now. Just return the trailer and I'll refund you your money - every cent. I don't want you as a client either.

Incidentally, the tyre story was embarrassing. They arrived on a pallet and my guys labelled these "Henk", as they arrived from Henk (probably on my cost.) These were then placed in a storage container at my main office. We have two facilities and the trailer shop is some 2 km from my main office. Some time passed and we just forgot we had received tyres even though we asked the guys. I then looked in the containers and clicked that the "Henk" tyres belonged to Hennie's trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    After that the trailer was returned to Henk to fit the axle with the correct pcd.
    I'm not sure how the wheels fitted if they had the incorrect PCD. It is possible that you changed the PCD thereafter, I'll need to check this fact, but maybe you can just post the relative email.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    You will receive your trailer half build and dirty and you will have to rely on Henk to sort it out for you.
    It is true that we have sent trailers up that are not fully complete. sometimes Henk asks that he complete the water system or some other issue, and other times we have transport going on a particular day, and there may not be transport for another week or ten days.

I then call Henk and let him know what he should complete on my behalf. But these are minor items that we may not even have in stock. We then fly the particular part up and Henk fits this on my behalf.

To say the trailer is half built is just indicative of your point of view and any matter you have an issue with.

All I can say is, build quality and backup service, one will go very far to get much better.
    Having a trailer for 3 years and then complaining, just does not compute.
    Howard

Nissan Murano

VW Caddy 2LTdi

Metalian Off Road Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LadyangeL View Post
    Ja good question, also wondering why after 2 years now the complaints?
    Have to agree with you.
    Howard

Nissan Murano

VW Caddy 2LTdi

Metalian Off Road Trailer

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast