Pafuri northwards

Default Pafuri northwards

Planning to head north from Pafuri towards Gorongosa, either inland along the Zim border or across via Zinave to the En1. Anyone know either of these? Anyone been to the Rio Save Game Reserve?

We also have that one on the list.

Done no planning yet. The guy that is going in the 2nd car with us, used to fight in that area in the Rhodesian war.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Just what ever you do, stay on good tracks and dont go bundu bashing. That area is known for mines. (as in kaboom not dig)
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

yup I heard that too, no off into the bush for us
    Toyota Prado;
    Isuzu 3 litre diesel doublecab

We've done the planning for the trip for this Sept 08. But now we cannot do it because month end is in the middle of the school holiday and my wife's business is financial stuff - therefore no going for us in Sept. If you sent me your e-mail I will forward our planning to you.

Basically if you go the proven route from Pafuri to Vilanculos (and stay a day or 2 at Bruce's Blue Waters) it is tar from Vilanculos to very close to Gorongosa - no need for funny stuff. I don't know how much time you have but there is a lot do do at Gorongosa - f e, you will need 2 days to do the walking routes on the mountain and we wanted t go to Beira to see it (1 day).

Any other route trough Moz we didn't consider due to time constrains. The shortest route is Beidbridge/Mutare but I am just afraid I might look like a MDC supporter that must be beaten up.
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

Default Pafuri North

Thanks Willem, email sent. Also given up on passing through Zim for same reason.
    Toyota Prado;

I've done the western Moz route from Pafuri to Chimoio several times and it is a very interesting route. basically it runs Pafuri-Massengena (Save drift) Chitobe, Espungabera (on the zim border) Dombe (Lucite river pontoon) Sussendenga Chimoio (Main beira tar road)
    The achilles heel of this route is the Save Drift, which can be deep and impassable. Unlike the Limpopo which subsides quickly due to irrigation extraction upstream the Save flow continues strongly until sometime between June and late August dependent on the rains in Zim. This year it will only probably be crossable by mid to late August so the Vilanculo detour would be needed to go north.
    The section from Espungabera to Sussendenga follows a lovely winding dirt road through sections of forest, one of which past Dombe (Moribane forest) is still in relatively good shape with very tall hardwoods towering over the road. Just before Sussendenga one can turn left towards Mavita and the Zim Border then take another left turn onto a jeeptrack into the Chimanimani Transfrontier Park and ascend 26kms right up into the mountains to the Chikukwa camp on the Mussapa Grande river. Very very scenic and a really outstanding drive. Nice campsite under the trees with very basic facilities. A bit further on is another torturous zig zag climb up into the clouds, also right on the Zim border to Setserra, which is a prime destination for birders looking for forest specials. The general road condition is good and passable by normal bakkie.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flatdog For This Useful Post:

Jislaaik Flat Dog, dit klink nice!! When last did you drive this route? I assume it is fairly "self sufficient" ito own water/fuel. I assume you sleep over on-route a number of times - is it a problem?
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

Thanks Flatdog.

That one will def go onto the schedule.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Early July we spent two weeks driving around Moz and loved it all. Went in at Pafuri, crossed the river there and headed north on some interesting roads. Mixed camping in the bush, sometimes in campsites and some chalets. Mixed beach and inland and all went well. 2 Prados were great to travel in. For info: crossed the Limpopo and the Save easily if anyone is planning to go. Saw some awesome forests - drove for about 3 hours along the east of Gorongoza and it was non-stop huge trees, they have identified over 300 different tree species in that area alone.

Wanted to do what Flatdog did up to the mountains on the Zim border, but ended up going North east from Chitobe to Gorongosa. next time.....
    Toyota Prado;