Takla air jack

Thread: Takla air jack

Default Takla air jack

After seeing Andrew White video of a recovery using a Takla air jack I decided to get one instead of a hi lift jack
    Now the problem starts as no suppliers have in stock and Taklas closed
    I am in no hurry. Can wait till new year
    Dealers trying to sell me what they have in stock
    I get told Takla does not have safety pressure valve- not true
    Takla only inflated via exhaust - not true can also be inflated via compressor
    Then customer bought one and it would not lift his Landy. Turns out he got the 1.5 ton model
    He then swopped for 2.5 which when he used the seams popped ( per dealer)
    As the first 2 points by dealer are wrong I am trying to find out has anyone on the forum knowledge of these air jacks and happy or had problems ?

Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

The Takla air jack is the only one I will buy
    Used them a few times in training and they're excellent
    Fluffy has one which he has used quiet a few times and seems happy,hopefully he will comment.
    A legend in his own mind

To add-
    Frontrunner sells their own model
    Apparently very good-according to them,I would first like to use one before I chose it over Takla
    A legend in his own mind

I use the cheaper 4x4 megaworld air Jack. R1800. IMO the takla Jack is way over priced.
    Last edited by mic_zw; 2014/12/25 at 07:27 AM.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D
    Every statement I make comes with the proviso that I don't know what i'm talking about.
    “It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” – Hugh Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by mic_zw View Post
    I use the cheaper 4x4 megaworld air Jack. R1800. IMO the takla Jack is way over priced.
    + 1000. It's more than 2x the price.
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 D/C Auto

I also have the MW one and Disco-Deon needs to use such things regularly.
    I dumped the exhaust pipe thingy - does not interest me. I lift using my 160l/min compressor. It lifts my Disco's side (2 wheels) completely in ±5 min.

If it can lift a D3, there is nothing much out there it can't lift imo. Very happy to use and recommend the MW big orange air-jack.

Have only had 1 issue, the valve end broke off with my rough handling. Replaced by MW.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

Deon I ditched the exhaust option as well. The compressor works way better. Put a hole in mine couple weeks back but fixed it with a normal patch.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D
    Every statement I make comes with the proviso that I don't know what i'm talking about.
    “It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” – Hugh Laurie

CarloJK Guest

Taklas are brilliant and are made to last,but are very pricey.I've however only used mine helping others.

Anyone else had experience of a Takla ?
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

Have one and used a lot in the dunes and once on my wife's polo ( a long story ) (-; , very happy with it

Takla is most likely the best one available but the Frontrunner won't be far behind.

I will only buy the Takla, have not seen the frontrunner product. I will not think about the other units
    Training: 4x4, bushmechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.

[email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    I will only buy the Takla, have not seen the frontrunner product. I will not think about the other units
    Why may I ask?
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

Why may I ask?
    I can't answer for Engel,but in my opinion the Takla just looks and feels like a better quality product.
    I never really saw the point of getting a air jack as I loved my high lift, which really got used.

Then I changed vehicles and now need one,but could still use my high lift if I got creative.

I reckon we need a test between them all-don't think it's been done?
    But for now,I will get the Takla.

I think its almost like comparing the farm jack against the proper High Lift.

Next time I'm at Frontrunner,I'll have a squiz at their one-if I get any attention form their busy sales okes
    A legend in his own mind

The Takla doesn't wobble around & is much more stable. It's very good quality with thick PVC & there is an integrated rubber protection mat on top, which is great.

As of a about 3 months ago, prices were approx:

Takla
    1.5 Ton capacity Airjack – R 3 375.00
    2.5 ton capacity Airjack – R 4 150.00

4x4 Megaworld "heavy duty jack" (I think 2 Ton) R1 800

Current price of Frontrunner 2 Ton Jack is R2 595

The Megaworld one is half the price. Is Takla twice as good?
    The Megaworld jack seems just as well made as the frontrunner to my eyes...
    I don't think Takla offers the best value for money.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

CarloJK Guest

As of a about 3 months ago, prices were approx:

Takla
    1.5 Ton capacity Airjack – R 3 375.00
    2.5 ton capacity Airjack – R 4 150.00

4x4 Megaworld "heavy duty jack" (I think 2 Ton) R1 800

Current price of Frontrunner 2 Ton Jack is R2 595

The Megaworld one is half the price. Is Takla twice as good?
    The Megaworld jack seems just as well made as the frontrunner to my eyes...
    I don't think Takla offers the best value for money.
    The prices haven't really increased,as mine was R4200 almost 2years ago,but to be honest I've only needed to use it on two occasions and in both occasions to help others.

I've also only used mine once - to help someone else.
    It does give me real peace of mind, especially if I'm on my own. Having a high lift or an air jack just means I have options if I get stuck. Considered getting those way ridiculously priced max trax but I feel I don't really need them if I have my air jack - or better still of course - another car to snatch me...
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

There is still no better recovery tool than a tool of a friend in another vehicle who makes fun of the fact you just got yourself stuck and then bribes you with beers to snatch you out of it...
    Last edited by mic_zw; 2015/01/15 at 03:50 AM.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

Default Takla air jack

4MW version is rated at 3 tons if Im not mistaken
    Last edited by SolPlaatje; 2015/01/15 at 06:39 AM.
    Gambit: MY07 D3 TDV6 HSE
    It's the small things in life that matter