Pilansberg response

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pilansberg response

A short while ago I wrote to Leopard resorts.

Good Day being a regular visitor to the Pilansberg both as a time share user and using the camping facilities, we feel we need to voice our concerns. The camping facilities are becoming an issue. The sites are not maintained,facilities are being run down and the general upkeep is being neglected. In hard economic times, many people turn to less expensive methods to visit our national parks and reserves. There is also the market of the life long camper and caravanner of which there is a huge SA market. The questions we therefore ask is: Is the market of so little concern to you that you do not dedicate budget to the maintenance of the sites and the well being of the camping fraternity. Does your business model not count the campers as an important source of revenue ? Are there plans to improve this situation going forward ? I am going to use Botswana as an example. They initially used a business model of low volume high cost, but have since done a turn around realising that the self drive market is increasing many fold as the initial pricing structures have now reached an unaffordable stage for the majority of people around the world. There are now more bed nights available than what is sold. The Kruger is another example of the same scenario. South Africa is a world wide destination and we feel that you as operators should be looking after the best source of recommendation, which is us, the South African consumer. I sincerely hope that you take this mail as constructive criticism and that you direct your efforts to addressing the needs of the local market. As an aside, on many discussion forums your incident of the sewerage problem is widely known and has hurt your reputation greatly to the point of you losing business. If this does not concern you, then I fear for the future of Leopard resorts. Regards

Then this reply:

Dear Paul Thank you so much for your email and your concern surrounding our properties. As a regular visitor I am sure that you have been aware of the change in the management within the organization. Over the past year we have had a complete readjustment of senior staff and he team that is now running the Resorts and the whole organization are very committed to rectifying the very things that you have mentioned in your letter. Our board has put in great efforts to get funding to assist the properties and we have just received the go ahead to send out tender documents for certain projects. I can assure you that both Manyane and Bakgatla will have renovated ablution facilities as quickly as possible. I can also inform you that refurbishment work will be starting on the Chalet areas as well. The landscaping and repair of the camp sites and roads was delayed due to the summer months and the rain fall. We have also got the challenge of costs when it comes to the grounds as there is vast erosion at Bakgatla which needs to be addressed. We are in negotiations at the moment with National and Regional Tourism who have a employment project that is being kicked off in the North West which could possibly help us with the labour required to do the work. Please be assured that we are very aware of the shortfalls that you have mentioned and are slowly chipping away at the mountain of work that faces us to get the properties back to a good standard. Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us with your concerns and hope that by your next visit to us that you will be able to see the work in progress. Regards Ann Dacey Resort Manager Bakgatla Resort

and today, this :

Dear Paul This mail serves to inform you and give a short update on the refurbishment program at Golden Leopard Resort’s Manyane Resort. Negotiations were undertaken and submissions were made to the Dept. of Tourism and National Treasury as early as March 2013 in order to access funds for a much needed refurbishment at the Resort. I am happy to report that our efforts were rewarded with Treasury allocating the required fund and made them available early in 2014. Since then, Management has been working tirelessly in consultations with Project Managers ensuring that all compliance issues are addressed and adherence to all the complexities of the tendering processes and awarding of the tenders are done fairly and are beyond reproach. Steps that have been finalised to date are: • Appointment of Project Managers – 10 February 2014 • Briefing of Project Managers – 13 February 2014 • Scope appraisals and Brief development by consultants – 17 February 2014 • Development and detailed designs by consultants – 19 March 2014 • Working drawings and tender documentation – 22 April 2014 • Tender advertisement and closing – 16 May to 17 June 2014 • Tender Evaluation and Adjudication – 23 June to 14 July 2014 • Appointment of Contractors - 15 July 2014 The site will be handed over to the Contactors on the 5 August 2014, with actual ground breaking starting as from the 9 August 2014. The Refurbishment will include • work done to rehabilitate the Camping/Caravan area (including grassing, gardening, and demarcation of sites), the renovations to all the ablution blocks and the upgrading of all the camp site electrical points. The estimated due date for completion is end November 2014. • The renovation and refurbishment of 29 chalets, including gardens and braai areas. The estimated due date for completion is end November 2014 In addition, as part of our ongoing security upgrade, mast lighting and surveillance cameras will be installed along the perimeter fence. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience that might be caused during the period of the refurbishment and hope you will join us after completion so that you can once again experience the true Manyane experience of “embracing nature whilst rejuvenating the senses”. Regards Nick Vagionakis Act. Resort Manager Manyane Golden Leopard Resorts
    </pre>
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

That's great if they do something. we were at Manyane in September last year and I sent a very similar mail to the booking agent. I was also told that they will send it onto the management

Excellent lets hope it all happens.

Here's hoping! Has anyone been recently? Are work being done there?
    Ockert
    Toyota Prado 120 4.0VX

Thats great feedback!
    Now just to hope the contractor is not a skelm...
    Chris

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing" Helen Keller

1996 Range Rover P38 4,6 HSE
    1977 LandRover Series III 109" Project

Hi All
    Please read my post and last comment about the Armed Robbery at Bakgatla which is part of Leopard Resorts. Scary but true. My point is just that I will not be going there anymore as it is not safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    A short while ago I wrote to Leopard resorts.

Did they end their letter with: Please don't be a Stranger!?
    Last edited by LandyAndy; 2014/08/07 at 08:55 AM.
    Amarok milk bottle

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

Hopefully they turn things around.

Last weekend at Bakgatla was very disappointing.
    Amarok milk bottle

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    Hopefully they turn things around.

Last weekend at Bakgatla was very disappointing.
    I'll chat to Lexie & ask her to lift her game...

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    I'll chat to Lexie & ask her to lift her game...
    The Minister of Internal Affairs was not the problem........
    Amarok milk bottle

I just love how the process to start doing any actual work after they have been awarded the money takes 180 days.
    so I guess that at least part of the funds allocated have already been spent on meeting and other such very important thing.
    in a normal world you would get 3 quotes and then start the work.
    Living in the land Down Under.

Clifford
    ORRA X275
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7l
    Powerbrake AT upgrade.
    Refurbished rims by Mag Workshop
    Grabber ATs
    Front bumper and bash plate by Maniac
    EFS Suspension lift also by Maniac

That is really great news, thanks for that letter and feedback. Camping is not very expensive there but I won't mind paying a bit more if facilities are worth it. I wanted to go there again but not with facilities as it is now, so again, great news!!!!
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.0 td VX, SAC intercooler, Kumho KL78 A/T's. DIY roofrack and rack system.
    "Good judgement come from experience, experience come from bad judgement"

It is worrying, first we have a private reserve, Mabalingwe and now we have Bakgatla. In my opinion 2 great places that are being brought down because of crime. If they cannot see that safety is a priority they will lose customers.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by WernerS View Post
    That is really great news, thanks for that letter and feedback. Camping is not very expensive there but I won't mind paying a bit more if facilities are worth it. I wanted to go there again but not with facilities as it is now, so again, great news!!!!
    It's not that cheap depending on how many people you are.

Electrified camping site is R 310 per night for up to 6 people.
    Amarok milk bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne CH View Post
    I just love how the process to start doing any actual work after they have been awarded the money takes 180 days.
    so I guess that at least part of the funds allocated have already been spent on meeting and other such very important thing.
    in a normal world you would get 3 quotes and then start the work.
    So they are pretty much like the general public then?

Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    It's not that cheap depending on how many people you are.

Electrified camping site is R 310 per night for up to 6 people.
    That's dirt cheap!!!! But yes I know if your'e only two people it sounds a bit expensive.
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.0 td VX, SAC intercooler, Kumho KL78 A/T's. DIY roofrack and rack system.
    "Good judgement come from experience, experience come from bad judgement"

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    So they are pretty much like the general public then?
    nope, the general public would do that, here you have to first appoint managers who will then decide who will do the job, then the managers have a meeting with staff who have been employed to do the managers work to explain to the staff what they have to do. then the staff have meetings with the tender companies. the staff then have meetings with the managers and finally the managers have meetings with the tender companies. then once they have a short list the staff and managers have meetings with the companies on that list and then they decide who will do the job.

then they have more meetings about when the job will start and then a party for the handover of the project, another one or two meetings and then the job starts. the job gets interrupted a few times because the managers did not ask for certain things that the bosses wanted. so more meeting's new quotes new handover ceremony.

I hope this does not happen, but from the track record and from how most things in Africa happen, they seem to be 100% on track so far.

Wayne , seems a bit of your post is not showing on my phone ?
    Missing the part regarding the brown envelopes.....
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Hyundai Getz 1.6 2010

Angry What a dump.

I have just returned from a camping trip to both Bagkatla and Manyane...Bagkatla is an absolute dump as I described in Tripadvisor, as for Manyane the sewage is still flowing. Its was my first visit to the campsite in a number of years and I'm afraid it could be even longer before I return again unless I start getting some decent reviews of the places. I have many happy memories from previous extended stays at Manyane.

Bagkatla in particular is a definite "NEVER AGAIN"...staff seem to be wandering around aimlessly and seemingly oblivious to the litter and overflowing bins.

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Wayne , seems a bit of your post is not showing on my phone ?
    Missing the part regarding the brown envelopes.....
    its not missing, they now do EFT's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast