Discovery 1 Disco 1 and 2 gearbox: Is this acceptable service? - Page 8





Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 208
  1. #141
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest, Malaysia
    Age
    63
    Posts
    18,560
    Thanked: 5979

    Default

    Chances are Bob's run in with a certain Indie also involved a land rover gearbox.

    ----------

    I have great sympathy for somebody trying to steer a sinking ship in a storm. To the point of possibly even accepting any loses that we suffer together.

    On the assumption that the person is being honest.

    Even little white lies about like the check is in the post, I waiting for / cant find the right part excuses that are intended to delay proceedings until there is enough cash to complete your job, is to some extent acceptable.

    But blatant theft, as in charging for work not done, or charging for new spares and using second hand spares etc, is overstepping the mark and totally unacceptable.

    However the forum is not a courtroom, and most certainly not a fair courtroom, so I am not totally convinced that these issues should be openly aired here. Ther may even be legal issue with this, dunno.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

    The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,151
    Thanked: 1302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Chances are Bob's run in with a certain Indie also involved a land rover gearbox.

    ----------

    I have great sympathy for somebody trying to steer a sinking ship in a storm. To the point of possibly even accepting any loses that we suffer together.

    On the assumption that the person is being honest.

    Even little white lies about like the check is in the post, I waiting for / cant find the right part excuses that are intended to delay proceedings until there is enough cash to complete your job, is to some extent acceptable.

    But blatant theft, as in charging for work not done, or charging for new spares and using second hand spares etc, is overstepping the mark and totally unacceptable.

    However the forum is not a courtroom, and most certainly not a fair courtroom, so I am not totally convinced that these issues should be openly aired here. Ther may even be legal issue with this, dunno.
    I agree with everything you say, including the fact that the forum is not a courtroom.

    What I do not agree with, is that the issues should not be raised here.

    Why?

    When I became a commercial member here, I also accepted that I may be subjected to complaints that may be noted here. And I had no problem with that because I believe in honest, good service.

    Every single spare paid for, I delivered. In time. I had 1 comeback which I happily refunded and that client was a chop. But when I had to close my doors I did not do it at the expense of anyone. Not with a single cent.

    The fact is that the law is above everything.

    Since most people fear the law, that gives the criminal or unethical a remarkably wide niche where he can manoeuvre and make money the easy way. By not delivering what he promised. And because those kinds of people are aware of that, they easily capitalise on the conscience of the honest by threatening them with going legal for slander and that sort of things.

    However, the honest needs to realise that the criminal or unethical needs to PROVE that whatever the honest made public about his actions, have cost him X amount of money. It is way more difficult to prove than the honest who already has suffered a quantifiable loss that he probably can prove with an invoice and evidence of work not done.

    And since the world does have more honest than dishonest people, the dishonest can be dealt with if the honest are willing to educate themselves.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

    "Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

    "A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

    "...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hermanus
    Age
    59
    Posts
    826
    Thanked: 333

    Default

    In the case we are discussing if the thread had been started earlier it could have saved me a few thousand rand. Even more if it was started months ago.
    I am very reluctant though to use the forum as a whipping post or to tarnish the name of good businesses. I believe that gripes should be dealt with directly and maybe the outcome posted here or something like this.
    In this case things became very clear after I read this thread and put 2 and 2 together. I have heard nothing from Jakes and don't really expect too hear from him anymore. Why it was necessary to do what he did is a bit of a mystery as he had a very busy workshop with a lot of customers who ,as I understand it , would get spun yarns. It comes across that he spent more time fabricating stories than doing the work. Sorry I get carried away but I really liked the guy and can't believe he would do this to his "friends".

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Empangeni
    Age
    37
    Posts
    423
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Thats what is good about threads like this...it is sharing experiences that we personally have...so that sometimes we may save other people from the same issues.

    If this was a genuine good person and good businessman. ..then he would have responded in good time and fix the problem. The reason this thread has become so hectic and sad is because the indie in question has not been on top of things and honest. Yes some comments may be judgmental based only on reading other comments ..but overall it has become like this from too many bad experiences for poor customers.

    Even if a dodgy customer started a thread unfairly accusing a good indie...then that indie would happily explain and rectify the problem and it would not reach the level of this thread. And his other happy customers would back him up. So i am glad this thread exists and the more threads there are of peoples first hand experiences...the more we can all learn about where to go and where not to go.

    I do feel sorry for the indie concerned...sounds like he is in a terrible mess and needs to make right with many people.

    I myself do not take well to being ripped off or treated in an injust manner...especially if it results in me losing some of my hard earned money out of someone elses incompetence/ greed/ bad circumstances etc.


    Regards,

    Noel

    2008 Discovery TDV6 SE for me
    2012 Kia Picanto for wife

  5. #145
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    42
    Posts
    483
    Thanked: 14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Arbuthnot View Post
    Thats what is good about threads like this...it is sharing experiences that we personally have...so that sometimes we may save other people from the same issues.

    If this was a genuine good person and good businessman. ..then he would have responded in good time and fix the problem. The reason this thread has become so hectic and sad is because the indie in question has not been on top of things and honest. Yes some comments may be judgmental based only on reading other comments ..but overall it has become like this from too many bad experiences for poor customers.

    Even if a dodgy customer started a thread unfairly accusing a good indie...then that indie would happily explain and rectify the problem and it would not reach the level of this thread. And his other happy customers would back him up. So i am glad this thread exists and the more threads there are of peoples first hand experiences...the more we can all learn about where to go and where not to go.

    I do feel sorry for the indie concerned...sounds like he is in a terrible mess and needs to make right with many people.

    I myself do not take well to being ripped off or treated in an injust manner...especially if it results in me losing some of my hard earned money out of someone elses incompetence/ greed/ bad circumstances etc.
    +100

    I don't know Jakes from a bar of soap, and Hopefully I dont come across as as being judgemental, I'm only speaking in terms of service and delivery.

    Every single one of us that sends in our vehicles for repairs are paying for a service that is offered by a Service Provider, who we hope has started his business because he has a passion for it, with money that we honestly earn for a living, we are not asking for any favors. And in return we are supposed to get this service, No point in over committing and underdelivering, jumping out of one hole and into the next, borrowing.... Sometimes stealing from Paul to pay Peter.... you get what I'm trying to say.

    Things like this will keep on happening and no one would be the wiser if we don't confront it and speak about it, that's why this forum is so awesome.

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    58
    Posts
    730
    Thanked: 11

    Default

    2011 Discovery LR4 HSE
    2008 LR 110 Defender Puma SVX, 60th Anniversary Ltd Edition.
    2006 LR 110 Defender Td5
    2014 Jurgens Safari Xplorer
    Renault Clio VaVaVoom

  7. #147
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    58
    Posts
    730
    Thanked: 11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildhunter View Post
    Yip I cant believe the cheek they have to even be posting on this subject!
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...5&postcount=11


    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...87&postcount=9
    2011 Discovery LR4 HSE
    2008 LR 110 Defender Puma SVX, 60th Anniversary Ltd Edition.
    2006 LR 110 Defender Td5
    2014 Jurgens Safari Xplorer
    Renault Clio VaVaVoom

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,151
    Thanked: 1302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Arbuthnot View Post
    Even if a dodgy customer started a thread unfairly accusing a good indie...then that indie would happily explain and rectify the problem and it would not reach the level of this thread.
    Exactly. Take for example how an honest businessman like Heinz handled a rather unfair post by a customer a few weeks ago.

    And you know what, most people saw that person as being unreasonable.

    People ain't blind, and I don't think they judge unfairly in general.

    If a complainer does not have a good case, it soon shows.


    Link to thread. I think this one panned out the way it should. A hot thread, but a good one where the supplier was willing to take part.

    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...=208508&page=6
    Last edited by biltong; 2015/01/17 at 08:52 PM.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

    "Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

    "A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

    "...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

  9. #149
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,300
    Thanked: 234

  10. #150
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,802
    Thanked: 1581

    Default

    This very thread is why I never went in for weekend spannering on 3rd party vehicles. One of the first engines I rebuilt was a VW boxer that ended up with lawyers and me winning my fight, only to have them take most of it for their fees.
    Now, when I find myself reconsidering that, and as interesting and as satisfying it would be, it all seems too fraught with risk for a weekend warrior to undertake.

  11. #151
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest, Malaysia
    Age
    63
    Posts
    18,560
    Thanked: 5979

    Default

    Whichever way you swing it, trial by social media can never be either fair or just.

    It is the COMPLETE opposite of what a just legal system is.

    I, by the way, have never had any dealings with Jakes or any other Indie mentioned here.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

    The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

  12. #152
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,151
    Thanked: 1302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Whichever way you swing it, trial by social media can never be either fair or just.

    It is the COMPLETE opposite of what a just legal system is.
    Do you think the latter is fair?
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

    "Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

    "A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

    "...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

  13. #153
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest, Malaysia
    Age
    63
    Posts
    18,560
    Thanked: 5979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    Do you think the latter is fair?
    No, and that is precisely my point.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

    The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

  14. #154
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Wall
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,692
    Thanked: 1676

    Default

    I am confused. It is acceptable to sing the praises of certain individuals, which surely garners work for them. But when the opposite happens it is unfair?
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."




  15. #155
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,073
    Thanked: 986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    I am confused. It is acceptable to sing the praises of certain individuals, which surely garners work for them. But when the opposite happens it is unfair?
    Pretty much Rainier. As soon as you complain about an indie you are labeled...
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

  16. #156
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    54
    Posts
    782
    Thanked: 143

    Default

    Guys, while we are on the topic. The primary gearbox on my Discovery 1 is getting a little bit noisy (going for 250,000 km now), perhaps partly because it is being run on MTF 94, which is the lubricant it was originally designed for (it shifts gears very easily, even when cold when run with the correct lubricant and there is also little or no risk of damaging the fibrous impeller). However, I think it is time to get it seen to properly – either by way of an overall or a complete replacement. Does anybody have any suggestions as to who is best placed in the Johannesburg/Pretoria area to overhaul these transmissions?

  17. #157
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,073
    Thanked: 986

    Default

    Sean Riley at The Gearbox Company in Midrand is the ONLY person I will ever permit to work on my LR's drivetrain.
    He has worked on 3 of my last 4 vehicles and always done the best job possible.
    Currently my D3 is there for some TLC.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

  18. #158
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,151
    Thanked: 1302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post
    Guys, while we are on the topic. The primary gearbox on my Discovery 1 is getting a little bit noisy ...
    My only suggestion is, ATTEND TO IT LIKE IN YESTERDAY!!

    These boxes are extremely tough and when they start moaning, you already have damage.

    Don't wait. And while you are at it, sommer fix up the transfer case leaks.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

    "Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

    "A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

    "...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

  19. #159
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    54
    Posts
    782
    Thanked: 143

    Default

    Thanks Deon and Biltong. The car is off the road for now. I have heard of Sean before, so him it will be then!

  20. #160
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Okay some feed back.

    I had Rudi and Matthew finish what Jakes started.

    When I took the car to Jakes in September, the slave cylinder went and he convinced me that it would be a good idea to replace the clutch & flywheel at the same time. After I got the vehicle back in December, it had a distinct vibration or wobble when accelerating. Meaning to take it back to have Jakes look at it, the slave went again before I could get the vehicle to him. At that stage I suspected the flywheel to be the culprit.

    I got my vehicle back from Rudi, the clutch is working fine, but the wobble persists, so back I went on Saturday. Matthew felt the wobble too, and thought it must have something to do with the drive train. He had a look and tightened everything around the front, but the vibration remained. So I took it back today.

    The feedback from them: It doesn't seem to be the flywheel, clutch or drive shafts. They suspect the CV joints - R8000 just in parts.

    Matthew is trying to find a better deal or someone who can recondition the parts.

    Any feedback would be welcome.
    Last edited by qbitza; 2015/01/19 at 06:35 PM.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •