Discovery 1 Disco 1 and 2 gearbox: Is this acceptable service? - Page 10

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

I am currently sitting with a massive bill to have 2 of my vehicles repaired to a state where they can be put back on the road, plus the cash that was paid out to him when he first "fixed" the vehicle. Waiting for the final quotes & invoices to come though but its starting to look upwards of R60k.
    1996 Defender 90 - 2.5 Tdi - Sold
    2005 Discovery II ES - TD5
    --------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Hippie; 2015/03/03 at 05:09 PM. Reason: decided to delete
    Disco 1 V8 iAuto 98
    "The Hulk"

Ex Suzuki Jimbo
    B/Stone Dueler AT's
    Infinity speakers

Why did you remove what you said?

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Hi Guys

Got my Landy back from Elrico motors...

The short of it....

My Landy went in for a service at Jakes after our big Africa trip...it never got serviced. In fact, it was borrowed out to someone "interested" in buying the vehicle. Without my knowledge!!

I got the vehicle back , jerry can brackets gone ,leaking oil, broken new windscreen , signs of overheating, broken cabby hole in the shape of a knee mark ( obvs offroad driving ) and missing a distributor and 2500 km's extra on the clock!!!!

Jakes dodged and dived as he does and till today I dont know who borrow my car. All I know is that it was a Mr Honniball from Paarl ( according to slips i found in the car )

I decided to let it go as I was good friends with Jakes but....2 Months ago on my only break i had , my landy broke down with us in the middle of the Cederberg 7 o clock at night on the first day of our holiday.

It cost me well over R15K to get it towed and fixed.

This was the first trip I did after the service from Jakes and as the pics show from Henrico, nothing was done on that Landy. The radiator was completely blocked up.

To top it all off, end of December before this all kicked off, my other Land Rover was with Jakes, he was storing it. When i went to go fetch it , the distributor was also gone, completely missing , with all the plugs. At least they put a bag over my engine. This was a vehicle I left there for storage!!!! He told me that he had send it away to LR for testing?

My opinion is that parts where simply taken from vehicles and placed on other ones, like both my distributors, jerry cans holders and plugs. I dont even want to know what else.

I don't know what's gone wrong, I originally decided to not go to the 4x4 community with this but after seeing all the other post and actually thinking about all the money time and effort my "friend" has cost me I had no other choice.

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

Guys, I know everyones pi$$ed off with Jakes and I cant blame you, but this is going round in circles and nothing is getting resolved.
    I believe in the name and shame thing, but not in a "forum trial"

I do know that a couple of guys are starting proceedings against Jakes and suggest that you all do it together otherwise the case will get kicked under the rug.....

That clown Edward Zaayman that I mentioned earlier, almost got away with R1,2M in total. In actual fact, he would have gotten away with it if I hadn't stuck to my guns and insist that they open a case against him. My claim was a paltry R1,400.00 and would have got swept under the rug, but, thanks to the guys on the forum coming forward, (yes, the police do investigate to the extent of reading public forums - Hello Peter is their favorite), Edward got what was due.

One of the forum members told me that he didn't want to see Jakes in the shyte because of "money"...but, do the math and see how big the hole is....I told him that if you can afford to pi$$ +/- R30k away, do it and stop complaining.
    If not, then do something about it.

Funny thing, Jakes is a "buddy" and I have nothing against him, but I would like to see this and other threads, come to an end....

Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post
    ....I would like to see this and other threads, come to an end....
    +1

I did the "copy+paste" thing of what I said in another similar thread below.

(My 2c worth: (And please note that I am only what I term a "bush-mechanic" that does most of the work on his own cars. I am not a commercial member and I do NOT own a workshop).

Over time quite a lot of Indies have been "flamed" on this Forum.

Most of the posts were written out of legitimate frustration and desperation.

Most of the Indies did stuff up big-time.

This thread was started 23 months ago (Meanwhile Louis' partner hassles has been sorted).
    The thread concerning Jakes and the butchered/ventilated gearbox started about 2-3 months ago (Meanwhile his erstwhile Mechie has taken over).
    At the end of 2013 Pon Steyn Motors got nailed on an incident that had apparently occurred 10 years previously. (Meanwhile his son, Arno has taken over the running of the Landie part of the business).

Last year a friend specifically joined this forum to check out dealers/Indies before buying his first Landie. Upon me suggesting he buys from Arno Steyn, his reply was "Maar die ouens op die 4x4 Community Forum se dan hulle is skelm?".

The pedantic point I'm trying to make is: If a 3 year old post about a 10 year old incident can illicit that kind of response, shouldn't there be a "sell-by date" on a thread like this? Can it not be removed after a certain period of time?

Ps: The abovementioned mate DID purchase his Landie from Pon Steyn Motors and so far he is happy with their service, even though (as a member of what I call the Brakeless Brandy Brigade kind of off-roader) he stuffs up his Landie with monotonous regularity.)
    ENJOY!!!
    Ettienne

196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    1980 Range Rover
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    2004 Disco Td5

I disagree.
    The posts like this on the forum are to warn honest people abouyt unscrupolous people, and to deter others from following that track.
    If these posts get removed, it is back to 'go', 'collect 200' and continue.

Keep the 'name & shame' as a source of reference, and as a warning to others (about landies).
    Life starts
    where the comfort-zone ends.

Don't get me wrong, I agree on the name and shame thing and maybe there should be an archive section where it can stay for the next 100 years...

What I am saying is instead of raving and ranting, do something about it......the whole actions speak louder than words thing

Arno (Pon Steyn), bent over backwards to try clear their name

Louie (7 Landys) had a bit of an attitude, but did try to resolve matters

Jakes sorta said sorry, but that as far as it got

Obviously, Arno & Louie are still in business and cant afford bad publicity.
    Jakes however, as nice a person as he is, will never come back from this ...

As much as I want to stay clear from this and other name and shame threads, I talk to a lot of forum members and always get drawn back in.

I strongly believe in "accountability" and pointed out to a member, who also has his own business and was also "Jaked", that if we (as sole proprietors) stuff up, we pay or get nailed and shut down, why should anyone else be treated differently??

While we are there.....

I have a customers Landy in my workshop thats becoming a sore spot.....Its been standing for 1 year 3 months. (I have moved twice in that time)

Story is the customer (lets call him Bob) came to me with a S2A caboose fitted with a Chev 4100 and a TH350 auto box (not my work), complaining that it didn't have enough oomph to overtake trucks.

Bob then tells me he wants a Lexus VVT and its 5 speed auto box fitted and tied up to the existing Series transfer case.

When I stopped laughing, I told Bob that the VVT Lexus will not fit into a Series and show him a Rangy/Series 2A hybrid that I am building for myself.....

Bottom line is that Bob likes the Rangy chassis idea and asks that I do the same to his S2A caboose. Money was never discussed, but Bob gave the go ahead...

So, I buy a Rangy for R16k, strip it down to a rolling chassis and extend it to 109.
    Bob buys a VVT Lexus for R30k and gets it delivered to my workshop.
    I didnt want to strip the Caboose and have to store all the bits, so I buy a engine-less R6 for R4k and strip off the firewall and fenders for Bob's project.
    About 2 months later, Bob pops in and asks hows the project going and when will it be ready. Explained to Bob that I need to get my money out of the project and that he needs to put money in for it to go further. Bob gives me R20k and asks when can he collect.

Now this is where the problem starts....

I got my outlay back (the R20k I spent) but didnt get anything for the labour so far. Bob says he will pay when the project is finished. I told Bob that I'm not prepared to fund his project and stopped all work.

Now Bob is busy slagging me, saying that I cant do the job and that I should find someone who can finish what I started....

Do I want this plastered on the forum so that people, who don't know me or only hear Bobs side of the story, get to pass judgment and chuck in their 5 cents......

Okay, so Jake's story is different, he screwed over a lot of members....the point is, we all have skeletons out there
    Last edited by GaryFrank; 2017/05/12 at 01:34 AM. Reason: typo

Very true Gary,

But if Bob should pop up on the forum you would be all over him like green on grass, tell your side and we could decide for ourselves, Discomad's absence from these threads speak more than anything bad being said about him or his unscrupilus activities.
    "Be the person your dog sees when you get home" Saw it on a coaster...
    "It's all fun and games until someone loses a nut!"

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Whichever way you swing it, trial by social media can never be either fair or just.

It is the COMPLETE opposite of what a just legal system is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Esterhuizen View Post

But if Bob should pop up on the forum you would be all over him like green on grass, tell your side and we could decide for ourselves, Discomad's absence from these threads speak more than anything bad being said about him or his unscrupilus activities.
    A court is stage upon which the sovereign conducts his show so as to satisfy the rest of the world that his decision is a good one.

Everyone has the the fair opportunity to be heard and to vindicate themselves?

'95 Disco I 300Tdi with character

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    Why did you remove what you said?
    I removed it because I realised afterwards..what's the point?? And Yes , I still feel really sorry for the guy. How did you manage to find it?

Too late now I suppose..
    Disco 1 V8 iAuto 98
    "The Hulk"

Ex Suzuki Jimbo
    B/Stone Dueler AT's
    Infinity speakers

This thread will have a sell by date but has not been resolved yet.
    I suspect but do not know if some of my parts were swapped out or I might have some other suckers parts in my landy. I pretty much know now what was not done but charged for.
    I used to enjoy Jakes but that is history and no I do not want to take him to the cleaners I don't think he has anything that I need. I am not sure why it is important to "hide" the thread. It really got to me that he knew how much our landies meant to us and he could smile and make nice while deliberately screwing us.
    If it had not been for this thread I might have still been wondering whether I just had a problematic vehicle and that problems could not be resolved and new one's kept cropping up at his workshop etc.
    It got so bad that I considered buying a Toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    If it had not been for this thread I might have still been wondering whether I just had a problematic vehicle and that problems could not be resolved and new one's kept cropping up at his workshop etc.
    It got so bad that I considered buying a Toyota.
    Well for this reason alone it makes this thread worth while!

Regards,

Noel

2008 Discovery TDV6 SE for me
    2012 Kia Picanto for wife

Default Re: Disco 1 and 2 gearbox: Is this acceptable service?

Hi guys,

I am new here. I have always searched 4x4Community for info/advice, but i now had to join due to being screwed by the same guy.
    I am trying to find info on TD5 heads and also R380 gearboxes. Anything for sale etc. I had 2 AMC TD5 head's. One on my Disco 2 TD5 before it went in for a gearbox repair (which is now missing from my engine) and one which just cant be found. Landy has been with Discomad for 14 months. I am collecting info to take things further. So i need to know the following:

1. I bought a Defender R380 V8 gearbox on the recommendation that the internals would be able to be swopped over to my Disco 2 TD5 box. Is this possible? (my gearbox is also missing)
    2. Who manufactures a TD5 head with the coding "HRC 2880" stamped on it?
    3. How on earth do i start a new "thread/post" on 4x4 Community

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakes153 View Post
    Hi guys,

I am new here. I have always searched 4x4Community for info/advice, but i now had to join due to being screwed by the same guy.
    I am trying to find info on TD5 heads and also R380 gearboxes. Anything for sale etc. I had 2 AMC TD5 head's. One on my Disco 2 TD5 before it went in for a gearbox repair (which is now missing from my engine) and one which just cant be found. Landy has been with Discomad for 14 months. I am collecting info to take things further. So i need to know the following:

1. I bought a Defender R380 V8 gearbox on the recommendation that the internals would be able to be swopped over to my Disco 2 TD5 box. Is this possible? (my gearbox is also missing)
    2. Who manufactures a TD5 head with the coding "HRC 2880" stamped on it?
    3. How on earth do i start a new "thread/post" on 4x4 Community

Thanks!
    Go to the 4x4 comm home page

Select which vehicle make you want to start a thread on, open that page

Top left you will see an orange Icon "Post New Thread", click on that and off you go..
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2017/05/11 at 10:36 AM.
    Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

All my other petrol burners are boring....

Is Jakes up and running again (pardon the pun), or do your problems stem from the time this thread was started
    ENJOY!!!
    Ettienne

196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    1980 Range Rover
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    2004 Disco Td5

Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post
    Is Jakes up and running again (pardon the pun), or do your problems stem from the time this thread was started
    He has been working from home or at people's houses since he closed shop. Seems like my problems started round about the time the last guys posted on this thread. (march 2015). I always tried to go out of my way to support Jakes, but now i seem to be the latest victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    Go to the 4x4 comm home page

Select which vehicle make you want to start a thread on, open that page

Top left you will see an orange Icon "Post New Thread", click on that and off you go..
    MUCH appreciated! I will check it out.

Have a great day!

There was a separate group set up to get this off the forum.(2015)
    Those affected/involved were sent private invitations to join the group and add to the existing charges, making the case stronger.

Lonny (Muttley) laid charges and posted all the details and contact persons particulars, but no one else came to the party so the charges faded away....

You guys have got yourselves to blame.

Do nothing and this clown carries on ripping off members.....

Like PP, I too wash my hands of this subject.
    Last edited by GaryFrank; 2017/05/12 at 01:38 AM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast