Ranger shocks

Thread: Ranger shocks

Default Ranger shocks

Just a heads up.

Heard a metal knocking noise coming from under my Ranger at the back last couple of days.

Only heard it when not loaded. Normally I have 300 odd KG in the back 99% of the time.

Went in yesterday morning and it turned out to be a loose shock. They turned the nut 5 times before it was tightened.

Guy at Ford mentioned that they had received a bulletin from the Factory that there was a batch of Rangers where the shocks had not been properly tightened.

Took 3 minutes to sort out.

I found if one stands on the tow hitch and rocks the bakkie up and down you would get a metal knocking noise.

Thanks Muggins. Will go have a look.
    Ford Ranger 3.2 M/T D/C 4x2 (Pavement Parking in style since July 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Muggins View Post
    Just a heads up.

Heard a metal knocking noise coming from under my Ranger at the back last couple of days.

Only heard it when not loaded. Normally I have 300 odd KG in the back 99% of the time.

Went in yesterday morning and it turned out to be a loose shock. They turned the nut 5 times before it was tightened.

Guy at Ford mentioned that they had received a bulletin from the Factory that there was a batch of Rangers where the shocks had not been properly tightened.

I found if one stands on the tow hitch and rocks the bakkie up and down you would get a metal knocking noise.
    Hi Muggins, which model is yours
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 D/C Auto

2014 2.2 dc

Ja I had that problem. They tighten it after i mentioned it at service time and its fixed now

Happened to me as well on approx 12 000 km. now done 25 000 without any problems
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4x4 AT D/C
    2016 Conqueror Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Muggins View Post
    Just a heads up.

Thanks for this post, I too have heard a knock from the back recently with no load on my BT-50. Tried to find it myself but no luck thus far., actually came to the conclusion it must be the suspension blade pack or shock bushings or one of the shocks... I'll take mine in now for them to check ASAP.
    Last edited by Richard_M; 2014/12/22 at 10:13 AM.
    2015 Kuga 1.5 Trend

Default Solved

So... my right back shock nut was indeed loose. 5 minutes re-torqued both sides, all good. Again, thanks to the poster for the heads up!
    Last edited by Richard_M; 2014/12/24 at 08:00 AM.
    2015 Kuga 1.5 Trend

Thanks! As Murphy would have it, I read your post some days ago, the problem reared its head about four days ago on my T6. 47 000km.
    ZS6VL

Will plan ahead and take it in once I am in Hazyview again, thank you for the post.
    2014 Ford Ranger 2.2 T6 XL D/C

Just take a 18 spanner and check the 4 nuts on the rear shocks. Much quicker than going to a dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by JJE View Post
    Just take a 18 spanner and check the 4 nuts on the rear shocks. Much quicker than going to a dealership.
    Took mine to my local friendly tyre shop. Much easier to check on the lift. Took them 5 minutes, and yes, the nuts were not tight enough. They did not charge me anything.
    ZS6VL

My T6 now has 30700km, 4x4 auto 3,2.
    I'm running Cooper st Max 265/70/17. I've been rotating and balancing every 7500 km and checking wheel alignment at the same time. Just did the 30000km rotate and noticed bad flat spotting on the right hand side tires on the inner tread block all the way around. A good 4 mm difference from block to block.
    Tire pressures also always accurately checked. So I've got my shocks tested at two different places and they are shot, all four but particularly the rear ones.
    I live on tar roads. I did a Richtersveld trip last year maybe a total of 200 km on dirt roads.
    Taking it up with Ford and will report back.

Hi Fly340,

Would you be able to post a photo of the flat spotting? How do they suspension places test the shocks?

If you look at the tread pattern at the back you can see the difference in height from one block to the next. This goes all the way around the tire on the inside tread it is far more pronounced than on the rest of the tire.
    Some of the tire places have shock testing machines. Super quick near Cresta had one that allows for the selection of your vehicle from the computer. Best Drive up the road from them previously Jody's had a generic tester. Basically drive the car on and the machine bounces the wheels at varying rates and measures the response.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I also had problems with the back shocks on my t6, they were replaced under warranty at about 18k. Have 38k on now and they seem to be holding up much better.
    Waiting for HDP's to become available and going to swop mine with something that is a little more suited to my application
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4x4 Double Cab (2013)

GP0203

Default Re: Ranger shocks

Can you beleive my 2019 Wildtrak seems to have the same issue?
    Back rigth was knocking so tightened it a bit. Now after a trip back left nut lost on thew highway. Going in this afternoon!