New Xtrail - Anyone driven one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Xtrail - Anyone driven one?

Hi all,

thought this topic may have hit the page earlier, being a very successful softroader in the past, Nissan have launched the "New Xtrail". Has anyone driven one, got some meaningful honest feedback etc etc. I have only seen one in the traffic, and the salesman at Nissan Says its the best car ever to yadda yadda yadda. Yes, Im sure he believes so.
    I am on my second Xtrail now, both 2.5l petrol 4x4's, the first a Generation 1, 2004, the second a 2011, the last shape/facelift before the New model. I love my Xtrail, it does what I need it to do, plus more.

Anyone got some usefull info??

kb

Hi, there is an article in the latest SA4X4 magazine. Not a full road test but an overview of most of the changes. Aparently completely new from the ground up.
    2008 Discovery 3 V8 HSE
    2015 Bushlapa Miskruier 395 (...hy het nie naam nie, sy naam moet hy nog kry....)
    Previous: 2000 Discovery 2 TD5 SE, XT 140

Had a look at one the other day, more spacious inside, boot seems a bit smaller even with back seats moved forward. Might be because boot floor is higher. It has lost the drawers aswell which I love on the previous version. Approach angle is less. On the road its a better drive. No auto in the diesel, not ideal for JHB traffic
    Nissan X Trail 4x4
    Jurgens XT 120

N baie mooi kar.

I bought a 1.6 dci and is very happy. Car is comfortable with power for overtaking and hills and i get around 15 km/l. It currently has 4 500 km so should improve a bit.
    2012 Ford Ranger 3.2 double cab 4x2 AT

Quote Originally Posted by Carel Kriek View Post
    Apparently completely new from the ground up.
    I would guess, that where the original Renault Koleos was based on an X-Trail, the roles have now been reversed.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Default 2015 T32 X-trial 1,6 dCi SE 4X4 Tech

This is my personal experience with a new X-trail.
    I test drove a diesel demo model last year December and straight away decided I wanted one, it looks great inside and out, it was very quiet, it was fantastic on fuel, it had decent power from the small 1.6 diesel turbo and is a great car to drive, the tech pack added a couple of nice accessories. I bought myself the 1.6 dCi SE 4x4 Tech and took ownership of it beginning of Feb this year, I noticed driving it for the first time on the highway a couple of days later the front was bouncing a bit but put it down to wheel balancing, and the clutch had a distinctive bouncy feeling to it which I was planning to talk to the dealer about as soon as I could. I was as happy as s**t with my new X-trail, until a week and a half later. The motor suddenly started making a load pinging noise like the timing had suddenly gone out, this happened while I was changing between gears. I notified the dealer the very next morning and was told to take it to the closest dealer which I did, they couldn't find anything wrong, 3 different Nissan dealers done about 400km with my car trying to find what I was talking about, but not one of them can hear the noise it is making. Whenever somebodyís interested in finding out about my new X-trail the first thing they ask when I start it is why the motor is so noisy, but Nissan mechanics cannot hear anything. At least 12 potential buyers have told me they are no longer interested in the new X-trail because of the old tech sounding motor, no matter how good it looks. Other problems have also surfaced since, clutch vibration issues, brake issues, gear issues, satnav has frozen on me 3 times already, and the centre information display has gone on the blink twice. In April the dealer where I got the car from thought the cause of the noisy motor was something to do with a faulty steering system forcing the ECU to go into limp mode, so they took the car in for wheel alignment. I now not only have a noisy car but it now also zig zagís across the road due to the wheel alignment being out.
    I had now had enough and went straight to Nissan SA, they had my car for about two weeks and done about 860km and guess what.. They couldn't hear the noises coming from the motor either, they couldnít feel the power loss of the motor when it started pinging so badly the fuel pedal vibrated your foot into pins and needles, they could not see some times the car would not rev up as quick as other times because it was pinging so bad, they could not feel the bouncing of the front suspension, they couldnít feel the roughness of the clutch pedal and they could not feel the car was pulling from side to side when trying to keep in a straight line. To put the cherry on the cake I have been told by the Customer Care technician I have hit something extremely hard with my left front wheel, the suspension has been bent and I will have to repair it at my own cost. I thought it quite ironic that they couldn't find any of the problems I reported but found one I didn't even have a problem with. Nissan SA refuse to consider the idea that maybe the car was already damaged before I received it, hence the bouncing at the front and the clutch pedal vibration or even the possibility, heaven forbid it that one of their technicians might have hit a pot hole while using my car to go to Delmas (donít know why the hell it was there in the first place).
    I have since been told by a Nissan mechanic the new electronic powered steering system is extremely sensitive compared to the previous models hydraulic system and any relatively hard jolt to a front wheel is going to end up being a costly exercise, either by constantly having your wheel alignment redone which by the way cannot be done by your local tyre dealer as a computer has to be connected to the ECU of the car to determine where the steering centre point is then only can the alignment be done ,or worst case replacing the steering rack. And the way I see it Nissan is going to find any way they can think of to make it a non-warranty problem. I have spoken to 2 other T32 owners recently who have also had problems, the one had electrical problems and the cars entire electrical system went crazy , it was apparently something to do with the ECU and took Nissan technicians 3 days to reboot it. The other one was something to do with the CVT gearbox not changing gear when it should, Nissan told the owner there was nothing wrong with it, after constant nagging from the owner Nissan found out there was actually something wrong with it, the programming of the computer controlling the gearbox was incorrect and needed an upgrade to sort it out. I wonder if Nissan even apologised to the owner for not caring about his problem.
    I was once the proud owner of a second hand 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander which I traded in on the X-trail, in the 4.5 years I had it I never had a single problem with it. I now have a brand new car with more problems than I can wish for, I would trade back my Outlander for this troublesome X-trail in a heartbeat if I had the choice.
    So, my opinion, the X-trail T32 is new on the market not only in South Africa but the rest of the world too. Thereís obviously going to be problems that need to be ironed out before it might even come close to the previous models reliability and toughness, (I doubt it though) It looks like Nissan SA doesnít have the technical expertise at the moment to properly diagnose problems on the T32, or maybe they just donít give a damn. The warranty doesnít count for anything either because they will find a way of making you the guilty party. Maybe give it a couple of years until all the problems have been sorted and then look at buying one, I have come to realise there are better options on the market, options that have been around for a while and proved their worth, even if you go the second hand route you can get something much better for about the same price.
    Donít get me wrong, for the price the New X-trail is a fantastic vehicle. Maybe I just got the dud of the bunch, or maybe the new X-trail does have problems. Whatever the case Nissan SA has a lousy after sales attitude and this will definitely stop people from dealing with them, Iíve heard a couple of people complaining about Nissan lately, I most certainly will never consider buying a Nissan again.

Smile

WOW Kings, Thanks for a open and honest report.
    Firstly, its upsetting to hear about the problems you are having, and the lack of interest from Nissan to "try" sort it out. I can imagine you are p!ssed off, and quite rightly so. I have had a T30 (237000km), and a few months ago bought a very neat second hand t31 facelift. Never been happier, hence why I was asking about the new T32, I WAS interested......

Since my original posting, I have had a good look at the T32. Even though I have not driven it yet, I have unfortunately been swayed away from it - and I commented recently to a Nissan sales person, that in my opinion, "Nissan has lost it" on the T32. He agreed........his exact words were that for a previous Xtrail owner, they are not going to be happy with a T32, but for someone who has not owned a Xtrail before, they will love it.
    Why do I say that Nissan have dropped the ball??

BIG reason, is that the seats do not fold flat. Yes, they go almost flat, but there is still a bump where the seats fold, you cannot lie a fridge down, or sleep in the back. Not that I carry fridges on a daily basis, but still.

THe interior boot space is smaller, and with a curved roofline, also hinders the hight that can be loaded.

Anyway - good luck to Nissan on selling the T32, I am sure we will see many more hitting the roads, but I will keep a look out for them, incase they are bouncing past me, or swerving across the road.......

As an ex xtrail owner its sad to see its demise like this.The new one does not represent what xtrail was.Although i mmust admit the new quashqai is very nice they should never have followed its design curves for the xtrail.The xtrail was always something different but not anymore.
    Nissan is its own worst enemy right now.

Default Your opinion please

Guys, I need your opinion please, what would you do if you purchased a R388,000 X-trail that started giving problems after the first week. It goes to Nissan for diagnostics and when you get it back there's an address on your built in gps system for some place in the middle of Tembisa, when the car should actually have been either in Nigel or at Nissan SA Rosslyn. the driver was questioned about it and he said he just put the address in to see where the place was, I don't believe it for one moment. I was also told by Nissan SA my X-trial had a complete diagnostics test done and there is nothing wrong with the car, then just after I got the X-trail back a Nissan employee tells me there is NO diagnostics machine for the new X-trail in SA, I sent an email 2 weeks ago to Nissan SA customer care inquiring about it and I still have not received a confirmation or denial on the matter. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Kings View Post
    Guys, I need your opinion please, what would you do if you purchased a R388,000 X-trail that started giving problems after the first week. It goes to Nissan for diagnostics and when you get it back there's an address on your built in gps system for some place in the middle of Tembisa, when the car should actually have been either in Nigel or at Nissan SA Rosslyn. the driver was questioned about it and he said he just put the address in to see where the place was, I don't believe it for one moment. I was also told by Nissan SA my X-trial had a complete diagnostics test done and there is nothing wrong with the car, then just after I got the X-trail back a Nissan employee tells me there is NO diagnostics machine for the new X-trail in SA, I sent an email 2 weeks ago to Nissan SA customer care inquiring about it and I still have not received a confirmation or denial on the matter. What would you do?

This post took me back to when a colleague of mine book in his polo for an issue he was having, later that day we pulled into a shopping centre about 20 km from the dealership and we spot 2 guys in there overalls getting out of a polo and going into the shop to buy coke and some cigarettes. When he got back to the office and called the service centre, he was told they where taking the car for a test drive. Haha

Check what is at that Tembisa address. That might assist you in tackling them.
    Call a completely independent dealer (cape town or something), and ask them how long and how much for a diagnostic test as you are driving down and suspect there might be a problem. That will let you know if there is a diagnostic tester in the country.

I did check, its a newly built BP service station.
    Thanks for the idea, I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Hi guys, I thought I would give you a quick update on whatís been going on with my new X-trail.
    Nissan South Africa has of course done nothing since to try sort out the problems, to them the case is closed. I have since found out the workshop manager of Nissan Nigel blatantly lied to Nissan customer care about the discussion him and I had about the vehicle when he came and collected it from me. The Nissan employee who told me there was no diagnostics machine for the T32 in the country has now straight out denied having told me so, he has been transferred to a different department in Nissan and is also very reluctant to speak to me, I think Nissan SA has cautioned him of doing so.
    I have found out a few things about the new T32 X-trail which I feel any potential buyers should know.
    At the beginning of this year there was a massive recall around the world of the T32 2.5 CVTís due to gearbox computer problems, as far as I know no recall happened in South Africa, Why? Nissan can deny this as much as they want, all you have to do is go onto Google and you will find what Iím talking about.
    I recently got to meet a man whose wife is apparently the head of several Nissan branches around South Africa and I was quite taken back on what he openly told me. I noticed they had two T32ís and queried on what models they were, when he told me they were both the base 2.0 litre models I asked why they didnít go for the 1.6 LE model, as Iím sure his wife would have got it at a special price, he told me the 1.6 dCiís are having problems with noisy motors, clutches slipping, premature collapsing of thrust bearings, and pick up sensors on the motors, and the 2,5 CVTís had gearbox computer problems which Nissan was having problems trying to sort out. Last I heard it was still a problem, HELLO some of this sounds familiar.
    Last month I went to McCarthy Nissan Germistone to see someone who is apparently a bit of a fundi on X-trail diesels. As soon as he heard the noise the motor was making he said it wasnít right and suggested it might be the injector timing is out, I left the X-trail with him the next day and when I picked it up that afternoon I was pleasantly surprised, what had taken Nissan South Africa and 3 other dealerships months of telling me there was nothing wrong with the vehicle this man seemed to sort out in one day. It turned out to be a blocked Particulate Filter, he done a regeneration of the filter and all has been going great for the last two weeks, but now the motor noise and power loss is back again. It looks like with me doing over 19k km with the filter being blocked it might have done some damage to the particulate filter.
    I have a lawyer working on the case at the moment and we will see what transpires.
    For anyone still interested in buying a T32, a few things you might be interested in from my experience,
    Pros,
    Itís a very comfortable car to drive,
    The Tech pack is great to have, 360 deg cameras, blind spot warning, lane departure warning, etc, etc.
    Lots of nice features.
    Cons,
    The boot floor slopes back towards the door so anything with the tendency to roll is going to be waiting for you to open the door.
    Head light dims are quite pathetic,
    My car is rather noisy and rough sounding inside,
    My average fuel consumption since I got the car is 12.6 km/litre, I could have just as well have bought a 2.2 litre diesel vehicle.
    The Particulate Filter is going to be a serious problem for you if you do mostly in town driving,
    And of course Nissan After Sales Care sucks big time, if you donít believe me check on Hello Peter.

Default Re: New Xtrail - Anyone driven one?

Has anyone else on the forum purchased a T32 Nissan X-trail 1.6 dCi?

Quote Originally Posted by Kings View Post
    Has anyone else on the forum purchased a T32 Nissan X-trail 1.6 dCi?
    Busy buying the 2l for my wife, VERY impressed with it, we looked at the CX5 as well, CX5 more "luxury" but not as impressive as the Xtrail
    Gerhard Beukes
    Mr Big

2015 Navara 4x4
    4x4 Com Radio: 1033

Quote Originally Posted by jagbeukes View Post
    Busy buying the 2l for my wife, VERY impressed with it, we looked at the CX5 as well, CX5 more "luxury" but not as impressive as the Xtrail
    Did you buy the Xtrail? Are you still happy? I'm also comparing the CX5 vs the Xtrail.

Quote Originally Posted by smitjj View Post
    Did you buy the Xtrail? Are you still happy? I'm also comparing the CX5 vs the Xtrail.
    Getting it on Thursday, the Xtrail is better "quality" and i have friends in the second hand car business and they said the CX5's trade in is very poor. during the test drives the Xtrail were smoother on the road, but has less "technology" in the cab than the Xtrail, like reverse camera and climate control. the Xtrail also has more leg space in the back seat. This is important as I am almost 2 m and in the CX5 if i push back the driver seat my son does not fit in behind me but in the Xtrail he does. Also the boot space , the Xtrail wins with about 100lt. can not wait to take delivery
    Gerhard Beukes
    Mr Big

2015 Navara 4x4
    4x4 Com Radio: 1033

I bought the 1.6 dci 4x4 with Tech pack beginning January. Done about 3000km now. It really is a nice car, surprising power from a 1.6 motor. Generally the car is very comfortable and quiet. Also the push button start system (which I'm not a fan of but you have no choice) is an improvement on earlier versions, and it's actually growing on me. Space inside is very good, especially the rear seats. As mentioned earlier the hidden drawers in the boot is now replaced by a shallow tray - unfortunately this is a step backwards.

So far the fuel consumption is very good - around 14-15km/l for my driving. Even my wife (Audi driver) used it last week and quite liked it. The all round cameras is a big help when maneuvering the vehicle in confined spaces. One feature I would have liked, is the auto parallel parking now fitted to some other vehicles.

Overall, I'm very happy with it so far.

Henry

2010 Navara 2.5 D/C 4x4
    2016 Chev Utility Club 1.8
    Echo 4

Quote Originally Posted by Henryv View Post
    I bought the 1.6 dci 4x4 with Tech pack beginning January. Done about 3000km now. It really is a nice car, surprising power from a 1.6 motor. Generally the car is very comfortable and quiet. Also the push button start system (which I'm not a fan of but you have no choice) is an improvement on earlier versions, and it's actually growing on me. Space inside is very good, especially the rear seats. As mentioned earlier the hidden drawers in the boot is now replaced by a shallow tray - unfortunately this is a step backwards.

So far the fuel consumption is very good - around 14-15km/l for my driving. Even my wife (Audi driver) used it last week and quite liked it. The all round cameras is a big help when maneuvering the vehicle in confined spaces. One feature I would have liked, is the auto parallel parking now fitted to some other vehicles.

Overall, I'm very happy with it so far.
    Hi Henryv, I'm just curious, did anyone at Nissan explain anything to you about the Diesel Particulate Filter that's fitted to your car?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast