Cherokee Jeep XJ advice needed please - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Today we went with a group of friends to De Wildt. had a blast!! We had a 7 vehicles in our group. all different makes and sizes. thanks a lot guys for the help given to get my 4x4ing off to a decent start.

i have noticed however that i need to get some things still sorted.

when i tried to get up Bobejaan i couldn't get further then the first hump. if i don't have 3 wheels touching the ground its just slipping the wheels and so i didn't go on.
    just read though that if i want the LSD to start working i should use the handbrake? has anybody tried this? does it work?

later on i noticed that if i keep a bit of momentum where possible then there is almost no stopping me.

now when i came down Bobejaan, the next issue came to light. the brakes. you really have to put a lot of effort to try and stop it. is there any way to improve this? will just a change of brake pads suffice or wont that help.( have about 4mm left on the front brakes)

also during the day the left front got a click-clack sound. maybe the suspension or the bushes?

on the way home i noticed that the temp stayed quite high and didn't go lower. so we stopped, and after the engine was cooled down a bit and the radiator cap could come off, i could put 6 liters of pre mix antifreeze in.
    (i had switched the car back on before i put the water in). the temp gauge didn't go higher then 1 small bar after 100 deg. ( the position where the electric fan kicks in)
    the rest of the way back no problem.
    now i know that my overflow tank doesn't have a cap, but that cant be the cause can it? i did notice some days before that if i would stop the engine above 100 deg that there would be a boiling sound and the overflow tank would throw out a lot of water. since then i always made sure that the temp would be lower before switching off.
    could it be the radiator cap, or would it be something else?

also there was some vibration coming from the back. i think it was the diff. had changed the oil yesterday but didn't use the jeep oil. it was Castrol LSD 75w140. i had read somewhere that it also worked fine but I'm not so sure now. didn't have the vibration before. should i just get the jeep oil?

there are also still some error codes that i need to sort out. all to do with the gearbox. I've seen that with all of them an oil change can sort it out that the oil maybe is dirty. can that be? the oil that is in now in very light brown. looks still clean. the gearbox was redone 30.000km ago so a service would anyhow be good. what oil should i use? don't really want to go synthetic because of the seal leaks that I've heard of. I know its supposed to be dexron 3. Any suggestions?

Anyhow, it was a great day and I've learned a lot about what the car can do and the amount of power it has. I only had to use 4lo on the training track where you almost go straight up. These tires have great grip!
    All in all i'm writing this with a big smile on my face and cant wait to get this sorted so we can go out again!!

For diff oils stick with mopar. Gearbox you need to find out what oil they used. If dexron stick with dexron. If atf+ stick with it.
    '99 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0 @ 143000km
    "Frankenstein" 5" lift | Nomad Bumpers | Safari Snorkel | Gorman rocksliders | Khumo 31x10.5x15 | Jerry can holders | 29Mhz Radio | Custom roof rack | Dual Battery | ARB onboard compressor

just bought the diff oil. R840.00 (just for the rear)

will be changing it today or tomorrow.

also bought a new radiator cap. i saw on the service manual that the cap should be rated between 12 and 16 psi. it had a 0.9 bar rating. The previous owner modified the radiator to be able to use an aftermarket cap. autozone had an 0.9 bar one and a 1.1. i took the 1.1 bar one. (16 psi) just worried if i now might be putting too much pressure on the system.
    what do you guys think?

Benjeepnut.

Very important! A Jeep is not a car. A Jeep, is a Jeep, is a Jeep.
    Castrol syntrax 75w140LS is the correct oil for the LS diffs.
    Check the radiator for mud blockage on the outside. 1.1 bar should be fine for the cap.
    The rear vibration could be thrown wheel weights. Mud stuck on rims/tyres. Propshaft damage.
    The diff oil will not cause a vibration. It will cause a noise long before a vibration.
    Last edited by Pieterk; 2014/12/31 at 11:19 AM.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Agree with Pieter, unlikely that the vibration comes from the oil. If its only at higher speeds its more likely wheel balancing or something, maybe something on the propshaft too like universals.

For gearbox oil the box was originally designed to use Dexron IId so anything from there on is fine. I've used both IId and Dexron III and never had any issues with either. If the box is picking up faults its more than likely electrical sensors or something as the gearbox is completely mechanically operated.

As for pressure in the cooling system, the Jeeps are made to run at higher temperature and under pressure. If you're losing water through the cap that shouldnt happen. Could also be a small leak on a pipe somewhere that only opens once pressure builds up, I've had that before. Keep an eye on it, you don't want to run it low on coolant too often or that radiator isn't going to past, I've blown a couple before.

I've changed the oil at the back diff. Will check it out still. I'll get the tires balanced to see if that makes a difference. I have swapped them around on Monday so it could definitely be that. I've changed the radiator cap too for the 1.1 bar one. Will keep an eye out for the level. half January I'll do a flush and refill with the proper mix. How can you make sure there is no air in the system?
    2018 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL DC

Also the brakes are worrying me. If I check the fluid at the master cylinder it's a bit dark. I always thought it was mor clear. Could a renewal of the brake fluid be an improvement?

I think in the next 2 months I need to change the brake pads. Any advice on which ones to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjeepnut View Post
    I think in the next 2 months I need to change the brake pads. Any advice on which ones to use?
    Original one from Jeep .... Same price as Midas.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3