Cherokee Jeep XJ advice needed please

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Jeep XJ advice needed please

Hi everybody,

First of all, I'm a new member of the forum, but have been coming to it already for a long time and have enjoyed reading up on the different 4x4's.
    Being from Holland and having lived here now for 7 years I thought that it is the time now to buy a 4x4, and for this I would like some advice.

I want to buy a jeep XJ. I've always liked the shape and want to see to buy 1 in the next month or so. it would be used (in the beginning) to drive from home to work and some 4x4ing.

Could anyone give advise as to look out for a certain year?

I've read on one of the American forums that the best years would be '98-'99. They supposed to have the best package.( better engine, brakes.....)
    I don't know if there was a difference in the American version and the one that came to south Africa.

Also what else should one look out for?

Thanks already for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjeepnut View Post
    Hi everybody,

First of all, I'm a new member of the forum, but have been coming to it already for a long time and have enjoyed reading up on the different 4x4's.
    Being from Holland and having lived here now for 7 years I thought that it is the time now to buy a 4x4, and for this I would like some advice.

I want to buy a jeep XJ. I've always liked the shape and want to see to buy 1 in the next month or so. it would be used (in the beginning) to drive from home to work and some 4x4ing.

Could anyone give advise as to look out for a certain year?

I've read on one of the American forums that the best years would be '98-'99. They supposed to have the best package.( better engine, brakes.....)
    I don't know if there was a difference in the American version and the one that came to south Africa.

Also what else should one look out for?

Thanks already for the help.
    As far as I know all SA XJ's came with the USA Up-country 1" lift as stock.

We got the horrible 2.5 diesel VM. Stay far away from that.

'00 and '01 got the low-pinion front diff and coil packs. Not a show stopper. Also got the weaker head that is prone to cracking. Some '99's also have that head. '99 was also the change over year so like on mine I have some '98 spec and some '00 spec parts. Biggest headache is the discs as the '00 spec differs from the more readily available pre-00 models.
    '99 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0 @ 143000km
    "Frankenstein" 5" lift | Nomad Bumpers | Safari Snorkel | Gorman rocksliders | Khumo 31x10.5x15 | Jerry can holders | 29Mhz Radio | Custom roof rack | Dual Battery | ARB onboard compressor

I haven't owned an XJ personally, but I have asked advice on here before and I can tell you the consensus on here is that for the money the Jeep XJ is by far the best choice.

Plenty of XJ owner on here will give you plenty of great advice.

Welcome to the Forum!

I am looking to sell my 2000 XJ. Have a look here and contact me:
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/classi...nty-4-0l/cat/4
    Martin
    2014 Mahindra Scorpio DC 4x4 - Still stock standard.........
    2000 Cherokee XJ 4L - SOLD
    <!--Session data--><!--Session data-->

Quote Originally Posted by Canute View Post
    I am looking to sell my 2000 XJ. Have a look here and contact me:
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/classi...nty-4-0l/cat/4
    Are you running stock ratios with the 32's
    "Frankenstein" 5" lift | Nomad Bumpers | Safari Snorkel | Gorman rocksliders | Khumo 31x10.5x15 | Jerry can holders | 29Mhz Radio | Custom roof rack | Dual Battery | ARB onboard compressor

welcome.
    There is not much that can go wrong on the xj. just stay away from the diesel!!!
    There may be an oil leak between engine and gearbox. just a seal that needs to be replaced. make sure the gearbox shift easy and go into over drive.
    Then have a big budget on how to modify the xj according to your taste.
    '86 SFA Hilux V6

Sponsors:

Thanks already for the advise!
    Canute, it looks very nice!!
    2018 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL DC

I've heard that overheating is a problem with the 4.0l. Is there something else to look out for?
    Also would it be better to buy a stock one and build up or buy one that has already all the bells and whistles?

I've heard that overheating is a problem with the 4.0l. Is there something else to look out for?
    Also would it be better to buy a stock one and build up or buy one that has already all the bells and whistles?
    How long is a piece of string. Really depends on what bells and whistles and where you want to start

I was more thinking of the abuse it might have had in that case. I saw this one for example: http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakk...60910201360209

Please dont listen to any of the persons telling you to stay away from the diesels. It is obvious that they have never owned one and are only talking from hearsay. Not withstanding , there are some diesels that have had problems.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Please dont listen to any of the persons telling you to stay away from the diesels. It is obvious that they have never owned one and are only talking from hearsay. Not withstanding , there are some diesels that have had problems.
    The diesel can be reliable if driven and maintaned correctly, but I know of plenty of guys that bought diesels and have burnt their fingers. Heck the guy just down the road from me is making good bucks on the side buying diesels and stripping them. Only things selling is the motors and odd parts. He has got gearboxes, transfercases and diffs coming out of his ears as there isn't demand for them. His own one was a diesel and he runs a Lexus V8. 90% of the conversions to other motors I have seen have been to diesels.

The only ones I know of that have been reliable have been the ones that bought them with lowish km and a known history (2nd or 3rd owner). Most of the ones you find now are >200k km with a dodgy history. In my opinion not worth a gamble on a R60k vehicle when the I6 is bullet proof.

It depends on how many bells and whistles you need. Its always better to buy one that has everything already, it will always cost you double to buy everything new once installation and labour costs have been taken into account.
    I will have an XJ for sale in the next couple of weeks. Not sure if its what you are looking for as it is modified quite a lot. I'll advertise it on here though once its ready for sale.

For now my aim would be to get something that can be used as a daily drive as well as some 4x4ing. I've seen on YouTube that even in standard they are quite capable. At the moment I drive about 1500 to 2000km a month and can imagine that all the extra's will make the (fuel economy) way worse.

I do think though that the 4.0l would be my choice. I heard that with the standard version and NOT a heavy foot you should get about 9 - 10 km/l. Is that realistic?

I do think though that the 4.0l would be my choice. I heard that with the standard version and NOT a heavy foot you should get about 9 - 10 km/l. Is that realistic?
    Maybe on the open road driving slower than miss daisy. In my experience on stock I got 7-7.5km/l but that is at 120-130km/h. 6.5 in town. On 31 muds and 3" lift. 6-6.5km/l open road and 4.5-5.5km/l in town.

Thanks. I see that a lot of the 4.0l have 250k + on the clock. Is that something to worry about?

Look the engine itself is no problem, it will probably out live you. I've only heard of one that needed rebuilding and that was at about 350,000 km. But keep in mind that at higher mileage there are going to be parts that will need replacing: the odd sensor here, bearing there etc.

In town, stock I got 8km/l and 10km/l on the open road at about 110km/h. With 32" muds and 4.5" lift I get like 5km/l in town and 7.5km/l on the open road.

As mentioned the diesels are crap. Drive past any Jeep Indy workshop & see what's parked outside.

4.0L the only realistic option. The only way they will get 10km/L is if 5 of the cylinders aren't working. You're doing ok if you get 6km/L.

As an average in town with 2" lift and nice 245/70 road tyres I got an average of 7-7.5 in town actually.

I dont get better than 5 now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast