Wild camping and fuel - Mabuasehube to CKGR

Default Wild camping and fuel - Mabuasehube to CKGR

Had a blast two years ago in Mabuasehube (leopard in camp plus excellent lion, brown hyaena and cheetah sightings). So next July I'm doing a similar thing. The plan is, as last time, to spend some time with friends in Namibia before heading to Mabuasehube (4 nights) then CKGR (5 nights). The trip wouldn't have been such a success hadn't it been for all the advice I got here though...

Last time, because of little time we headed directly from Windhoek to Kang where the friendly people at the gas station let us pitch our roof tents and spend the night. We then topped up on fuel before making our way to Mabuasehube.

This time we have more time and are contemplating heading south from Charles Hill on the gravel road and spend a night wild camping on the way to Mabua. Thus making the most of it, spending as much time as possible in the bush as well as entering the park as early as possible the day we have our first campsite booking...

So my questions are:

Is taking the gravel road south from Charles Hill and wild camping a good idea based on my wishes? Will I get a proper bush-feel and, if extremely lucky, see any wildlife? Also, what we discovered last time after fueling in Kang was that there was diesel in Hukuntski. Is the fuel availability in Hukuntsi reliable?

Just remember its a consession area and you must get a permit from the owner in Brey to camp in the area.We were checked up by Botswana military guys!
    Ford Ranger 2.2 4x4 2018
    Jeep 3.7 Cherokee 4x4 1996
    Toyota Raider SFA 2.2 4X4 1994

OK, thanks, so not possible then, since we're coming from the opposite side (Namibia, crossing at Buitebos/Charles Hill)...?

I believe there are 2 pans,Masetleng and ukhwi pan with wild camping run by Botswana self.Maybe other members can help!
    Ford Ranger 2.2 4x4 2018
    Jeep 3.7 Cherokee 4x4 1996
    Toyota Raider SFA 2.2 4X4 1994

yes Masetleng Camping is possible. We were there in May 2013. There is a sort of campsite with ablutions and water tanks, but these were still under construction at that time. You can pay in the nearby village. it is an nice pan, not much game in May last year, but check this forum, Witklipbank has been there several times in March and then there was plenty of game.

I am not sure about Ukhwi Pan, however, no experience with that.

Have fun preparing your trip!

Rik

subscribed

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks guys. I've heard good things about Matseleng and was kind of bummed when we didn't have time the last time. Will def do it this time. Abundances of game is not a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    yes Masetleng Camping is possible. We were there in May 2013. There is a sort of campsite with ablutions and water tanks, but these were still under construction at that time. You can pay in the nearby village. it is an nice pan, not much game in May last year, but check this forum, Witklipbank has been there several times in March and then there was plenty of game. I am not sure about Ukhwi Pan, however, no experience with that. Have fun preparing your trip! Rik
    Yes. And wildcamping is NO problem,,,,,, if the community guy come to visit you pay him. It is possible to drive to Zutswa and near Zutswa is also a community camp. They trust you and you pay in Zutswa.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413