Ezemvelo problems

Question Ezemvelo problems

I worry greatly about this situation, at an organisation that has been one of the best conservation bodies in the world since Dr. Ian Player started there at the then Natal Parks Board!!

Also-Dr. Mkhize has so far done very good work in a very difficult job in today's conservation climate -I thought-?

I smell a political rat!

http://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/news/...7#.VHZLlUiWE18

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afri...9#.VH6kZkiWE18

Sad to read more evidence of KZN Wildlife now also falling victim to the gravy train mentality.-and this in the very week when KZN conservation has lost its greatest figure in its history through the sad passing of Dr. Ian Player. May his spirit live on in the many true conservationists still doing brilliant work.

Dr Mkhize-if these allegations are true, then you have let down not only yourself, but KZN's world-class wildlife heritage, all the people who have so selflessly built it up over so many years, and the country's population of present and those yet to be born.

The Natal Parks Board (then Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife in new guise) was one of the foremost and most successful and progressive conservation bodies in the world for many decades-I hope that it might one day deservedly regain this reputation

I'll rather not comment. Can tell you horror stories. Politics
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

So the rot has reached nature conservation. It's not about conservation any more, but human greed.

A Pigeon-Latin phrase: (Someone else can translate..):

"Copulatus Jacobus, ego omnia dextra sum"
    One must wait till evening to see how splendid the day has been

I'll be posting something good about Ezemvelo within the next day or two
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afri...6#.VI-3bkiWE18

It all sounds a bit dodgy-this juggling of authorities-?

And the talk of amalgamating Ezemvelo into Sanparks?-sounds to me like this can only be bad news-further concentrating power over conservation in the hands of very few.
    -Almost like they want to consolidate stewardship/control over the high-value species that are predominantly found in Sanparks and Ezemvelo parks.
    Is there a greater agenda than conservation here?
    Is the state trying to get into a situation of more autocratic control over specifically rhino and elephant in order to be able to control the trade in horn and tusks once it is opened up by Cites-or even to bypass/ignore Cites and run an underground trade to fund their faltering politics? They might well see this as a cash-cow for themselves if the current proposal to increase state-funding of political parties does not pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jembo View Post
    So the rot has reached nature conservation. It's not about conservation any more, but human greed.

A Pigeon-Latin phrase: (Someone else can translate..):

"Copulatus Jacobus, ego omnia dextra sum"
    Roughly translated seems to say Jacob copulates for extra cash ?
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

I am all right Jack?
    Steve
    Jetta 2.0 TDI 2012
    Pajero 3.2 SWB 2009
    Jurgens Xcape
    Discovery II TD5 2004 (Sold)

Default Ezemvelo and the Sanparks wild card

Ezemvelo parks entrance fees rules also vary ; the sanparks wild card can be used and accepted at imfolozi for example ; but if you go to sodwana bay , ezemvelo says they don't accept the wild card and only the rhino card.
    How far is imfolozi from sodwana bay park ?....so this selection is done within the same province of SA .

How about this selective ruling they say it is the same as for example going to pilansberg....; west province parks don't accept the wild card .

I defend the principle of one country one card !

There is not even enough money to go around for conservation as it is and now they want a bigger piece of a very small pie Greedy bastards
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.0 td VX, SAC intercooler, Kumho KL78 A/T's. DIY roofrack and rack system.
    "Good judgement come from experience, experience come from bad judgement"

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Roughly translated seems to say Jacob copulates for extra cash ?
    More like "James joined, I'm ok". Meaning if others do it they cannot tell someone else that I'm doing it.

Quite apt I'd say.
    "Be the person your dog sees when you get home" Saw it on a coaster...
    "It's all fun and games until someone loses a nut!"

Yo YO from human greed to political party underground dealing in poached riches Maybe Reds under the beds

Fact is there is not enough money to cater for the needs in conservation. Sanparks has the greatest surface area and gets the biggest share while Ezemvelo has all the little estuares and small little conservation areas to look after and has to fork out big money to keep these orphan parks just going. This all on the negligible amount government contributes and revenue from a few cash cows like the Drakensberg parks. Budgets have to be boosted by entrance to places like Sodwana and the wetland park and I can understand the refusal to join in the wild card scheme. Hunting and the sale of game also help balancing the books

I was not aware of the restructuring débâcle and was under the impression that they were doing ok. I have a few friends in the Ezemvelo team and they were always positive, they did mention that there was a halt on filling vacancies but I always thought it was just budget related.

I think this thing of dr Mabunda taking over might just be what was needed. He has had a good track record in Sanparks and got people working together lets hope for the best
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Henk-I gather that you are very much on the pulse as far as Sanparks/conservation issues go-and gather that you know many of the key figures in conservation-as such I do highly value your opinions and experience. Yes, I do tend to have a pessimistic outlook on the whole issue-but I am also very mindful of the world-class and groundbreaking work done in conservation in SA in the past, and at present.

I do realise that money for conservation is far short of what is required, but also believe that the potential for income-generating projects is far greater than that which is currently being exploited.

I know there are several smaller 'ophan' parks which do not generate nearly enough money for their upkeep-never mind for any progressive projects/development-but I also see much untapped potential in some parks.

Hopefully the authorities-in partnership with private business-will find ways to sensitively see to increasing revenues.

My concerns of underhand dealings stem mainly from the recent history of the ruling party sticking their sticky fingers into every ministry/department possible (now even into SARS) where they might install their lackeys to quietly extract more income to fund excessive and improper expenditure. Often this interference seems to happen just after installing their more compliant cadre's.

-I do hope I am wrong in my fears.

Dr M might be a bit outspoken but I have had the priveledge to meet the man and all I can say is I have the highest respect for his conservation skills and efforts.

Sanparks have around 22 parks in its stable and although not all of them break even financially there are enough cash reserves generated by the iconic parks to go a long way in helping out.

In KZN it is slightly different, they do have the odd cash cow to help make ends meet but then they have a zoo of little areas that need to be maintained and run as conservation areas. Take a place like Mpenyati or Mtanvuma in southern Natal, they are basically estuaries under Ezemvelo control and generate funds from the R 10 entry fee per vehicle they charge, this time of the year they might cover the wages of the two guys collecting the fee. The roads need to be maintained as well as the toilet facilities cleaned, grass cut and bushes trimmed on the walks......

The boards of the two conservation bodies do not take nonsense, i know one of the Sanparks tannies and believe me you do not want to get on her wrong side, do the right thing and she is a skattie. I think there is enough people looking over shoulders to ensure fair play.

There will always be the odd one trying their luck even with the rhino poaching they have found inside involvement but this is the exception rather than the rule hence my harsh defence if anybody accuses the insiders of being dirty.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook