Useful Photo Contributions From non-Pros

Default Useful Photo Contributions From non-Pros

I've been thinking a bit how to contribute even a small amount while my family and I spend a fair bit of next year on a mid -career break (aka sabbatical, aka mid-life crisis) driving up to Sudan. Having spent most of my career working for NGOs, I'm pretty cynical about once-off interventions and parachuted aid (besides which my wife's just claimed an entire ammo box for her spare shoes so we're battling to fit in even our own Mozzie nets ;-) ). The best idea I could come up with was contributing to (relatively) obscure African topics on wikimedia, supplemented by some (hopefully) competent pictures and videos. I've just seen this on Wikipedia which suggest this might be a good fit:

Of all of the millions of subjects you can read about on Wikipedia, subjects relating to Africa have the least coverage. This is because of a number of reasons, but mostly because many people do not know that they can donate their images, videos and audio. We need your help to show how rich, different and delicious Africa is. Submit your images of Africa's many different processes, spices and rituals that food involves to illustrate articles on Africa's cuisine.
    I'm under no illusions that my photography is marketable, but a couple of useable pics of Seswaa taken as we traverse through Botswana seems within my capabilities...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seswaa

Anyway the current competition ends in less than two weeks, but I imagine the sentiment applies across a bunch of African topics; and a horde somewhat over-equipped overlanders sounds like quite a good fit to a known problem ;-)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Co...14/Participate

Matthew
    Matthew de Gale
    -----------------------------
    www.hoperoad.co.za
    Neophyte
    Land Rover Defender TD5
    ex Lada Niva 1.6

I think that will be a remarkable contribution, for many generations to come.