Sani Pass - December 2014

Default Sani Pass - December 2014

Hi Dustlovers!
    My family and some friends will be going up the Sani pass this December. We plan to leave from Vereeniging on 20 December and sleep over near Underberg. Early Sunday morning we want to drive the pass up and down, spend the Monday relaxing and then drive back home on the 23rd.

I want to fish for some tips here especially from those who did this trip recently. I have never been in that area so I'm not 100% sure what to expect.

I started a checklist list of essential things to cross teh border: - Please comment
    1. Passports.
    (Both parents will accompany the children, so I suppose we don't need birth certificates?)
    2. A letter of permission from my insurance company so I can take the vehicle cross-border. (take a copy with to produce at border)
    3. Get permission from the finance institution to take the vehicle cross-border.
    4. What else do I need?
    ...Triangles? (I don't have)
    ...Reflective vests? (I don't have)
    5. What happens at the border crossing? Anything one should be aware off?

Trip essential things:
    I think I have this covered. My standard kit will go along: Compressor, tyre repair kit, some recovery equipment etc. nothing serious.

The Fun Bit - Travelling!
    1. N3 / Howick towards Underberg?
    2. Any secret places to look out for?
    3. When we reach the top, we'll obviously visit the pub and have some lunch.
    4. What can we do up there before we drive down again? Any routes we can follow or places we can visit to make the day trip worth-while?
    Martin

Im also interested in a trip up Sani Pass in Dec, and have similar questions, so keen to see what those in the know say.

My only additional question would be if you actually have to worry about the border control and passports at all. Cant you just drive up, turn around at the border, and drive back down again?
    Scar

2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 man (Jacked)
    2011 Audi S4 supercharged V6
    2015 VW Polo TSi
    1958 Chevy 5.7 V8
    1969 Plymouth Barracuda 6.2 V8
    2006 Nissan Hardbody workhorse

I Always have two triangles and reflective vest for overall safety in my vehicle/s
    They never check too much paperwork entering Lesotho, but be safe if needed or stranded
    Entering Lesotho is normally uncomplicated

Very wet road and raining can make Sani pass difficult

Border control is at the bottom of the pass , On the Natal side

All the roads in that area are scenic in summer months

Hi Martin Ek gaan die 23ste tot die 28ste ook Underberg toee en beplan ook om Sanipas te doen.Toevallig ook van Vereeniging .Martin Bannister

You need 2 triangles and one reflective vest, border is super relaxed, just have cash ready. The pass itself is super easy and smooth going all the way.

We go to Lesotho often. Here is my advice:
    1. Even if kids travel with borh parents, you still need the unabridges birth certificate.
    2. Insurance letter is a must. They have never asked us for this, but should you not inform your insurance company, they will not pay ico accident etc.
    3. Letter from finance institution also never asked for, but do it any way.
    4. Triangles and vest is a good idea although they never check.
    5. SA border post is at the bottom of the pass. Park in the parking lot. Show your passport and have it stamped.
    Drive up the pass and stop often for pics.
    Lesotho border post is at the top. Park in the road, pay some money and stamp passports.
    Go to rhw pub and have a dop and lunch/brunch.
    Drive another 15km+/- to the top of Black Mountain. The views are worth it. The Chinese are working on the roads so they are in good condition.
    On the return do the border post thing in reverse.
    Sani Pass is not difficult to drive anymore. But if it rains or snows, it can be a bit hair raising.
    Enjoy
    GASMAN

Land Rover D3 TDV6 HSE 2007 - Goldilocks - Gone
    Land Rover D4 SDV6 HSE 2012 - Voeniks
    Ratel Bullbar
    Ratel Snorkel
    Ratel Rock Sliders
    Ratel Offroad Tow Hitch
    Melville & Moon Seat Covers
    TORQTUNE Map

ORRA Z 173

Default Buurman

Quote Originally Posted by justinmartin View Post
    Hi Martin Ek gaan die 23ste tot die 28ste ook Underberg toee en beplan ook om Sanipas te doen.Toevallig ook van Vereeniging .Martin Bannister
    Hi Martin.
    Ek is bly ek gaan voor jou. As ek weg is en hulle hoor jy is ook van Vereeniging gaan hulle jou dalk nie in laat nie.

Jy van Botha en Deysel?

Groete,
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    We go to Lesotho often. Here is my advice:
    1. Even if kids travel with borh parents, you still need the unabridges birth certificate.
    <<SNIP>>
    Enjoy
    Oh myyy.. now I worry. I hope it won't be too difficult to get this in time..
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by petrolsmoker View Post
    Hi Dustlovers!

The Fun Bit - Travelling!
    1. N3 / Howick towards Underberg?
    2. Any secret places to look out for?
    3. When we reach the top, we'll obviously visit the pub and have some lunch.
    4. What can we do up there before we drive down again? Any routes we can follow or places we can visit to make the day trip worth-while?
    Hi Martin

I suggest you consider travelling the Loteni Road between Himeville and Nottingham Road rather than Underberg to Howick at least in one direction. It is a lovely scenic route and just under 100 km. I haven't used that road for a while, but it is usually in reasonable condition (gravel).
    Pete Avery

2013 Renault Duster 1.5 cdi 4WD

Hi Martin

Sien jou daar, ons vertrek die oggend van die 20ste uit Johannesburg, ook van plan om die 23ste/24ste terug te keer. Klink my ons slaap in Underberg, dan êrens bo-op die pas, en dan weer in Bethlehem (eintlik het ek geen idee nie, SWAMBO reel alles

Elkgeval waai maar as ons verby mekaar ry (Oranje 90 en Swart 90). En geniet dit.

Vlam - Fire & Ice 90

Quote Originally Posted by Feather View Post
    Hi Martin

I suggest you consider travelling the Loteni Road between Himeville and Nottingham Road rather than Underberg to Howick at least in one direction. It is a lovely scenic route and just under 100 km. I haven't used that road for a while, but it is usually in reasonable condition (gravel).

I did it 2 weeks ago, great road to travel and well worth doing.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    Enjoy
    Requirement postponed till May 2015

Default Sani pas toer verslag / Sani pass trip report

I deal with a number of people every day in the corporate world and I just realised something again anew. I am very close to being bilingual and I often forget that many English speaking people are really bad at understanding Afrikaans. I wonder how many of the Afrikaans posts on the forum slide by the English folk just because the simply don’t understand it? With this in mind I decided to quickly translate my post.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Sani Pass - Check.

Hier is so kort opsomming van ons ondervinding. Dankie vir almal se insette.

Here is a short synopsis of our experience. Thank you for everyone’s insets.

Ons het op pad na Underberg by Mooirivier van die N3 afgeklim en Loteni road gery. Dankie vir die wenk! Die uitsigte was baie mooi en die pad was in 'n aanvaarbare toestand, maar nie so dat ek dit met 'n platkar sal wil ry nie. Plek-plek is die pad sleg en ek dink as dit moet reën gaan dit ongemaklik raak. Die pad was nogal verbased verlate en vir 'n verandering was dit goed om so nou en dan ander karre te sien!

On our way to Underberg we left the N3 at Mooirivier and got onto Loteni road. Thanks for the tip! The views were beautiful and the road was in a reasonable condition, but I won’t drive it with a road car. Some places the road is bad and I think it will become really uncomfortable if it should rain. The road was surprisingly quite and for a change it was nice to see other cars every now and then!

Soos beplan het ons die Pas Sondag die 21 ste Desember gery. Al my dokumente, ZA plakker ens. ens. in plek. Uit Himeville is 'n baie mooi teerpad wat later verander in grond. Die pad kronkel vir 'n hele aantal kilometer deur die koppe voor die SA grenspos bereik word. Ek kan dit nogal aanbeveel as iemand in die omgewing is sonder paspoorte om net die plek te verken. Die pad is nie te sleg nie, maar gladnie geskik vir 'n platkar nie -- veral voertuie met baie min grondvryhoogte.

As planned, we drove up the pass on Sunday 21 December. All my documents, ZA sticker etc. etc. In place. From Heimeville there is a very nice tarred road that later changes to gravel. This road twists through the mountains for a few kilometres before the SA border control is reached. I can recommend this route if someone is in the area without passports to just explore. The road is not too bad, but definitely not suitable for a road car – especially vehicles with little ground clearance.

Die grensbeheer kan ek nie anders beskryf as dat dit 'n grap en 'n klug is nie. Ek het na die kantoor geloop met almal se paspoorte en die hele spul is gestempel sonder dat enige iets nagegaan word. Hulle kyk nie eers hoeveel mense daar is of wie is in die voertuig nie... geen ander dokumentasie word voor gevra nie en geen koste. Daar is ook niemand wat die hek beman nie... ek verstaan nie die doel van die paspoorte of die grenspos nie??

I can’t describe the border control other than being a joke. I walked to the office with everyone’s passports and the whole lot was stamped without anything being checked. They don’t even check how many people there are or who is in the vehicle... no other documentation was asked for and no cost. There is nobody guarding the gate... I don’t understand the reason behind the need for passports and border control??

Die pas was maklik om te ry, maar die pad is plek plek rof en vordering is stadig. Meeste van die pad is eerste rat en so nou en dan het die ratkas oorgeskakel na 2de. Natuurlik het niks ons gejaag nie en kon ons die omgewing geniet. Ongelooflike uitsigte... ons was gelukkig om 'n baie helder dag te hê. Ek het die Fortuner in laestrek gesit vir die laaste paar honderd meter waar die pas rerig styl raak, maar dit was nie rerig nodig nie. Ek dink dit het net die stremming effens verlig op die automatiese ratkas en natuurlik maak dit die beheer oor die voertuig net soveel makliker en veiliger. Ek kan wel bevestig dat as dit moet reen dit nie so maklik gaan wees nie en 4x4 dan noodsaaklik gaan raak. Verkeer was redelik lig, maar die taxis en sekere ander padgebruikers probeer kyk hoe vinnig hulle kan ry. Dit was nogal irreterend maar gelukkig net geisoleerde gebeurtenisse. Die minibus taxis lyk maar soos die wat hier rondry, behalwe dat hulle 4x4 is met alle terrein bande op.

The pass was an easy drive, but the road is bad in places and progress is slow. Most of the road is done in first gear and every now and then the gearbox changed into second. Of course we were in no hurry and we could enjoy the area. Incredible views... we were lucky to have had a clear day. I shifted the Fortuner into low range for the last couple of hundred meters where the pass got really steep, but it wasn’t really necessary. I think it just relieved the strain on the automatic gearbox and of course it makes control over the vehicle easier and safer. I can confirm that if it had to rain that 4x4 will become a must. Traffic volume was low, but the taxis and certain other people tried to see how fast they could go. This was irritating but luckily only isolated incidences. The minibus taxis look a lot like the one’s we see every day expect that they are 4x4 with all terrain tyres.

Die grootste grap vir die dag was die Lesotho grensbeheer. Hier word jou paspoort sommer in-en uit gestempel op een slag sodat jy hulle nie weer pla op pad uit terwyl hulle pap kook in die kantoor nie! Geen koste en niks word nagegaan nie... Ek sal wel aanbeveel dat alles in plek moet wees – mens weet nooit as iemand die dag begin dokumente nagaan of as iets dalk langs die pad moet gebeur nie. Mens is immers so half uitgelewer in ‘n “vreemde” land.

The biggest joke for the day was the Lesotho border control. Here your passport is stamped in-and-out in one go so you don’t bother them again on your way out while they are cooking mieliepap in the office! No cost and nothing gets checked... I will however recommend that you have everything in place – you never know when someone starts to check your documentation or if something should happen on the route. You are at the mercy of others in a “foreign” country.

Dit was ongelooflik koud en winderig bo. VAT BAADTJIES - al is dit 30 grade celsius aan die voet van die berg! Ongelooflike verskil in klimaat net so 20 Km verder.

It was incredibly cold and windy at the top. TAKE JACKETS – even if it is 30 degrees Celsius at the foot of the mountain! Unbelievable difference in climate just about 20 Km away.

Ons het 'n lekker middagete geniet by die hoogste kroeg in Afrika. Die plek is baie netjies met heelwat karakter. Ek wil amper noem dat dit effens duur is en dat ons lank gewag het vir die kos, maar alles was baie smaaklik en ons het lekker gekuier.

We had a nice lunch at the highest pub in Africa. The place is very neat with lots of character. I almost want to mention that it was a little expensive and that we had to wait a long time for the food, but everything was very tasty and we had a good time.

Na ete het ons so ongeveer 15km in Lesotho in gery en gaan kyk hoe lyk niks... Let tog op: NIE EEN BOOM NIE...?? Op 3280 M het ons besluit om om te draai en ons tyd beter te benut as om verder voor te ploeter en na niks te kyk. Niks is ook mooi en mens kan vir kilometers ver sien. Dit is die moeite werd om so ent in te ry. Daar is heelwat padwerke en iemand belê baie geld in iets wat nie duidelik is waarvoor nie. Ons het die Sondag gery so daar was geen werker in sig nie en dus was daar niks oponthoude nie. Amper geen verkeer.

After lunch we drove for approximately 15 Km into Lesotho to have a look at nothing... Please note: NOT ONE TREE...?? At 3280 M we decided to turn around and use our time better than to just carry on and see nothing. Nothing is also nice and one can see for kilometres. It is worth it to take the drive. There is a lot of roadworks and someone is investing a lot of money in something that is not clear what for. We were there on the Sunday and there was not one worker in sight and thus no delays. Almost no traffic.

Terug deur die grens begin die groot afdraande. Ek sal weereens 4x4 met laestrek aanbeveel net om dit maklik en veilig te hou. Ek was baie beindruk met die hoeveelheid enjin remming wat die automatiese ratkas gelewer het. Ek het die oorskakeling beperk deur dit met die seleksie hefboom beheer. Met die voertuig in eerste of tweede rat, (soms derde) afhangende van die helling, het ek amper nooit aan die remme geraak nie. Na die eerste paar steil hellings het ek die ratkas weer in hoëbestek geplaas sodat die middel ewenaar kon ontsluit. (Dit is nooit goed om enige ewenaar onnodig te sluit nie weens die hoë stremming op die aandrywing in areas waar die bande goeie traksie het).

Back through the border the big descend begins. I will once again recommend 4x4 with low range just to make it easy and safe. I was really impressed with the amount of engine braking the automatic gearbox provided. I limited gearshifts with the gear selector. With the vehicle in first or second gear, (sometimes third) depending on the gradient, I almost never touched the brakes. After the first couple of steep gradients I shifted the gearbox back into high range so the centre differential could unlock. (It is never a good idea to lock any differential unnecessary due to the high strain on the transmission in areas where the tyres have good traction.)

Die ry van die pas was iets wat op my “bucket list” was en ek is bly ek het dit gedoen. Ek het meer van ‘n uitdaging verwag en was die rit amper teleurstellend maklik, maar ek is ook bly aan die ander kant omdat dit nooit vir die ander mense in die voertuig ongemaklik of gevaarlik geraak het nie. Die hele dag se rit was baie familie vriendelik. Daar geen kans vir skade aan jou voertuig op die roete nie. Ek sal dit verseker aanbeveel en ek wens ek weet van meer soortgelyke paaie! Enige voorstelle?

The trip up the pass was something in my “bucket list” and I’m glad I did it. I expected more of a challenge and the trip was almost disappointingly easy, but on the other hand I am glad as it never became uncomfortable or dangerous for the other people in the vehicle. The day trip was very family friendly. There is no chance that you will damage your vehicle on the route. I will definitely recommend it and I wish I knew of more similar routes! Any suggestions?

Groete,
    Regards,
    Martin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_070148 (Small).jpg 
Views:	683 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	328587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_071207 (Small).jpg 
Views:	673 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	328588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_074137 (Small).jpg 
Views:	680 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	328589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_075650 (Small).jpg 
Views:	679 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	328590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_085840 (Small).jpg 
Views:	672 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	328591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_091308 (Small).jpg 
Views:	685 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	328592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_091734 (Small).jpg 
Views:	685 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	328593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_115625 (Small).jpg 
Views:	700 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	328594  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_131721 (Small).jpg 
Views:	650 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	328595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_104052 (Small).jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	328596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_074048 (Small).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	328638   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_084509 (Small).jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	328639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_094729 (Small).jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	328640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_112746 (Small).jpg 
Views:	684 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	328641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_120903 (Small).jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	328642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_120641 (Small).jpg 
Views:	688 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	328643  

Last edited by petrolsmoker; 2015/01/12 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Translate to English

bly om te sien julle het mooi weer gehad, ekt deur Lesotho gery en sani af.

dit was so bewolk to ek daar was ek het deer die Lesotho border post gery sonder om die eers agter te kom toe moes ek omdraai om my passport te stamp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0216.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	328657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0218.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	328658  

2009 Jimny, 40mm lift, steel undies, rock sliders, AT Tyres

Ex 1999 Discovery 2 V8

2 questions please guys, will be in the area during December

1. How long does it take to drive up the pass? Reason for asking is that we will have the mini-me's with us (2y/o at that stage) and don't want to spend too much time in the car with them, they can't appreciate the scenery yet
    2. How busy are the border posts during December? Reason for asking same as above, don't want to be stuck for hours having to entertain the little ones at a border post

Quote Originally Posted by Zetti View Post
    2 questions please guys, will be in the area during December

1. How long does it take to drive up the pass? Reason for asking is that we will have the mini-me's with us (2y/o at that stage) and don't want to spend too much time in the car with them, they can't appreciate the scenery yet
    2. How busy are the border posts during December? Reason for asking same as above, don't want to be stuck for hours having to entertain the little ones at a border post
    Hi Zetti.
    I still have the photos on my phone and I quickly checked the times.
    We took the Sani turn off at 9:00. The route starts off as a nice long tar road that becomes gravel as the pass starts. Arrived at the SA border at 10:00. This was on 21/12/2014 and there was almost nobody at the border. Check my photo in my post. ONE other car parked at the border. Very decent ablution facilities by the way. I hope someone else can comment on when peak traffic times can be expected? We drove through the Lesotho border at 11:00. Had a looong lunch, explored, drove into Lesotho and back down through the Lesotho border at 15:00. S.A. border at 16:00 and back in town at 17:00.

Hope this helps!
    Regards.
    Martin

Hi Zetti - it is not a long drive either way ... depending on how many times you stop and enjoy the environment. In summer is it beautifully green and lush, with lots of water. Take your time and don't rush it.

The border posts (in my experience) is never very busy - if I spent 10 minutes booking in and out, it was long.

Enjoy it ... for soon there will be tar all around!

Thanks guys, much appreciated. In that case we will definitely do a day trip up the pass. Just booked our accommodation. Decided to give the coast a skip this year, opting for some peace and quiet in stead of jhb by the sea.

We also plan a trip in September but we will enter at Caledonspoort and sleep over at Mokhotlong before we go down the pass and then back up for a second night at Mokhotlong