JEEP XJ Site Rear Shaft

Default JEEP XJ Site Rear Shaft

Hi Guys,

Any one have any contact wrt a rear left site shaft for my 2000 XJ Cherokee. I took it in to have the wheel berings changed but it was not the problem for the low pitch Growling noise when i turned to the right.

The site shaft is worn and pitted see pic, below

It is a 2.5td
    Any Advice
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ford Ranger 2.5td 4x4 XLT
    KB250 swb 4x2
    Ford Figo 1.4tdci
    VW Transporter 2.5TDI 4MOTION

Bundutoe

Well, I wouldn't like to strip my side shaft out, but I potentially have a complete rear axle for you

Alternatively you could upgrade and fit the rear axle of a 4x2 Hilux KZTE. You'll gain a diff lock and it has the same ratio as your 2.5TD (3.73:1). Come to think of it - a better option if you can find one would the a diff out of a 3.0TD Ford or Mazda. That one is a Gearmax Mod 89 - the same as what is currently going into mine.

Here's the benefits of doing so:
    1. You'll have a semi floating axle, in other words your wheel won't fall out if you ever break a side shaft
    2. All local parts - R950 for a new side shaft, R1600 for ratio changes, etc..
    3. You gain difflock as part of the deal
    4. Improved braking with larger rear drums

The cons:
    1. You'll have to have wheel adaptors made to convert from the 6 stud hubs to the Jeep's 5 studs.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited (totally original for now)

Thanks for the advise, what about the front diff, i recon if the ratios between the std front diff and the Mod 89 are the same there should not be a problem. will gearmax sell direct or must it be trough Agents??
    T
    KB250 swb 4x2
    Ford Figo 1.4tdci

Bundutoe

I have a dana 35 rear axle that you can have at R3000
    The axle is complete, complete
    Ratio 3.55

Quote Originally Posted by bundutoe View Post
    Thanks for the advise, what about the front diff, i recon if the ratios between the std front diff and the Mod 89 are the same there should not be a problem. will gearmax sell direct or must it be trough Agents??
    T
    Bundutoe, if you have the diesel your axle ratio's should be 3.73:1. There are quite a few of the local bakkies fitted with the Gearmax axle that also make use of the 3.73:1 ratio. So, if you match the rear replacement axle ratio to you front ratio, you won't have any problems. As mentioned, the 3.0 KZTE Hilux as well as the Ford and Mazda 3.0 TDCI bakkies definately use the 3.73:1 ratio's. There's also a whole range of alternative ratio's available, so if you find a secondhand diff with a different ratio, you can just have it changed.

Yes, you can buy directly from Gearmax. We I shopped around last year you could lay your hands on a M82 or M84, complete for R8500 excl. VAT. That is for a brand new axle complete with brakes, ready to bolt in (for the Jeep, you would just need to make a few small modifications) - you also get a 40000km / 1 year warrantee. The Model 89 Gearmax diff is quite a bit more expensive and at that time was about R18000, but then again only the Ford 4.0 and Isuzu 3.0TDI 4x4 DC used the Mod 89 at the time, there are now more of them used in various models so the price might have dropped and/or they will be more available at scrapyards.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited (totally original for now)

I found a local guy that can repair the shaft for me, so for the interim to get it going again, this is what i will do the repair is only 220 smackaroos, in the mean time look around at scrap yards for the MOD89 diff, so if any one has a lead on a mod89 diff, let me know please.

Just for info, got a price from the stealers for a new shaft, R5800. definetely not an option

Gorman - Thanks for the advice

Thys
    Last edited by bundutoe; 2008/06/07 at 09:51 AM. Reason: MOre info
    KB250 swb 4x2
    Ford Figo 1.4tdci

Bundutoe