Dullstroom Recommendations

Default Dullstroom Recommendations

Hi Guys

I'm heading back to Jo'burg from the Kruger tomorrow, and I'm considering staying over in Dullstroom for one night and trying my hand at fly fishing. Any recommendations for a place where I can find accommodation for two adults, and equipment hire, permits, and maybe a guide for one person for around R2000? Am I being too optimistic with my budget?

I got one quote for about R1700 for half a day's fishing with a guide, but excluding accommodation.

Thanks,
    Riaan

Hi Riaan

You can try Dunkeld estate
    http://www.dunkeldestate.co.za/

Couple of months back went to this place http://www.safarinow.com/go/walkersonspasturesvillage/

Really good! Around R395 per person per night, think 2 nights is minimum though, includes fishing permits. You can hire rods etc from the Walkerson hotel or you can drop into Fordsburg and buy a kit for R350 (real quality stuff) but does the trick for a once off. Place easily sleeps 6, lekker fireplace, can really recommend it.
    Last edited by barman1965; 2014/11/11 at 11:05 AM.

Contact Mavungana Flyfishing for guided trips, they have really good guides and also have access to excellent waters, La Verpa's waters are very good. Full day permit around R150pp, not sure about guide fees. You can also hire all equipment necessary. Contact <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td width="12%">Tel:</td> <td width="88%"> +27 13 254 0270</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="12%">Fax:</td> <td width="88%">+27 13 254 0757</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="12%">Email:</td> <td width="88%">[email protected]</td></tr></tbody></table>

For accommodation, book the Fox Meadow or Fox Loft room at Fox Hill Guesthouse, in town, very upmarket and close to everything, especially the Whisky Bar! Around R750 per night for the apartment.

<table id="table1" width="880" background="images/agter.gif" border="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" width="40%"> Tel:
    +27 13 254 0155
    Fox's Hill mobile number:
    076 205 5746
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    Tight lines!
    2011 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI with air

+1 for Mavungana

There are literary 100's of places to stay at.

Mavungana also does guided trips to private waters on a farm next to Walkersons Estate, so maybe the place barman1965 recommend might be a good idea. Walkersons also has many dams.

You can also try TreeFerns, also many dams.

Thanks for the tips.

I've booked with Mavungana and Fox Hill, although I'm considering staying at Auldstone House instead (right by the whisky bar, which will, unfortunately, be owed tomorrow). it sounds like we'll be completely on our own at Fox Hill. How safe is the area?

Dullstroom is a safe area, but be careful not to leave valuables in your car. My double cab window was smashed a few years ago in town and lots of stuff stolen.........partly my own fault......

Thanks again for the tips. We stayed at Fox Hill last night - a beautiful place, and a bargain compared to what we paid for accommodation in the Kruger.

This morning I set out with John from Mavungana to the private waters next to Walkersons that they use. I caught my first trout ever, followed by another (albeit smaller) one. I also lost a couple of fish. I can understand why they Mavungana came highly recommended - they are brilliant.

All of this was followed by a quick visit to the Whisky bar (Wild About Whisky).

Would love to know what it cost...

Wild about whisky is great, and we might try to have a Dullstroom forum GTG next year with 4x4 routes in the day and whisky tasting at night. Then the rooms at the pub is the way to go since drinking and driving is not on. we also stayed at silo house before, about 10km on. Very nice, peaceful, and got some decent trout there. Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorGoodman View Post
    Would love to know what it cost...
    The guided fishing trip was R1595.00, which I initially thought was expensive, but after having gone out with Mavungana, I do believe it was worth it.

They collected me from my accommodation (and dropped me off again afterwards), drove me to the private waters that they use, provided all the equipment (multiple rods, flies, gum boots, etc) and coached me on the fly (no pun intended). They are very knowledgeable; they knew exactly what to use, and when. At one stage, I was using a particular fly with no luck. My guide took it off and replaced it with another one, which was then taken on the very first cast.