Hello from U.S. and my new conqueror here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hello from U.S. and my new conqueror here

Aloha all
    my first name is Chad
    Honu is my nick from Hawaii
    I have been lurking and reading a ton here
    I moved to the mainland U.S. (arizona state) a short bit ago from Hawaii and fell in love with the idea of offroad camping
    and the South Africa stuff and the stuff from OZ seems to be the best in the world and blows away the U.S. stuff for real world experience and tough testing

I was lucky to find a Conqueror Conquest over here in the U.S. I understand there were 6 imported some years ago along with a few older basecamp models and some compact models

since I have a wife a 4 year old and another on the way the king size bed or the 2.1 as you all call them was perfect

everything about this thing is so cool and this site has been a ton of info for me on trailers

the one thing I have no manual or anything with this trailer its as is ? so I have to figure all this out how it setup etc.. pretty straight forward but any tips photos from others would be great
    also I notice they have changed the kitchen area a bit etc..

anyway just want to give a little about me and say Aloha to all and look forward to sharing some camping pics and things I do to this trailer as I move forward

a few quick snaps in our drive about a hour after it rolled off the truck just checking it out

now just if the U.S. can get off its rear and get some cool diesel rigs here ! I will be really set
    till then I am towing it with the Toyota FJ cruiser (stock now but got a new front bumper and winch coming in and some OME suspension etc..

You want diesl we want that FJ

welcome
    2002 LC HDJ 100 VX
    stuck for now in France,
    La Mothe Achard

Hi Chad welcome. I need that car of yours NOW!!!!!!! Nice to have you on board. Lots of exciting stuff you will find here.

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Hey warm welcome to you!

You will have the okes this side of the water green with envy in absolutely no time with that cruiser of yours!!!

Open a gallery (UserCP) for yourself and post some more pics, will be really nice seeing a good South African product in use in the USA!

Then of course the next natural thing will be planning your trip to SA

if I had diesel FJ I would really be lucky maybe someday you guys get the FJ and we get Deisel

funny how we want what you have and you want what we have

I love the FJ I used to have a FJ40 years ago but this is nice modern amenities and amazing off road

thanks for the welcomes

Honu, just shout if you need any translation from Afrikaans in any of the threads. The guys will help you out.
    * "Wat Spike probeer s in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Thumbs up

Hi Honu and welcome!

I have the exact same trailer, so if you have any questions just shout. By the way, I love the Conquest. I must say it looks really cool hitched up to that yellow FJC.
    Gerrit Loubser
    Richards Bay

Welcome Honu I am yellow Cant we make a deal boet I will supply you with diesel and you can supply me with that awesome FJ.You will enjoy it here.
    2003 COLT RODEO 2.8TDI BRACKENFELL CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA 1300 Tazz vir Liewe Heksie

Hey, welcome Honu, great to have you here, plenty info, great rig you have, if you notice the forum background turning a little green, it's just cause we don't have that nice vehicle here.

Have fun enjoy the outdoors and your rig.
    Last edited by Stockman; 2008/06/05 at 08:22 AM. Reason: left out word

Hi Honu

Welcome in virtual sunny South Africa(even though it is a bit chilly today). Great looking vehicle you got there and glad that some of our South African products are making it on the arena out there even though SA has only really started trading globally in the last 8 years or so. Good for Conquerer!!!.

Now get that that truck and trailer out of the suburb and get some dust on it!!!!

CATs
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

you need a LOOOOOOOONG snorkel to drive here for a visit! Welcome and enjoy!
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Welcome Honu. You want diesel and I just want a tenth of the Jeep-specific retailers you have over there, with their prices, of course, hehehe... The grass is always greener on the other side, they say, but there's a reason for that too; it's the bs that makes the grass grow, after all!

Welcome

Wanna swop your Toyota with my Pajero

Please
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

Default Tooo clean

Thats a terrible rig Its far too clean for starters !!, terrible color !!, far too low, no ground clearance !!,
    PS wanna sell it ?? I know of a guy (or 1000) out in SA who would take it off you for a nominal price (in SA Rands )
    OK, i'm JEALOUS !!, finally I see a Toy......ota (sorry hard to say) , I like

It's ironic that we lust after the trucks in the States but when you chat to Yanks they lust after anything that isn't from the States.
    The grass is greener
    * "Wat Spike probeer s in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Welcome. Hope there is some mud in Arizona.

Land Rover 110 Td5
    Land Rover 90 Puma
    Series II 1968

funny I just gave it the anual wash so its clean now

but it will get dirty got some trips planned one two weeks up through the US into Canada and back cant wait for that

and I am a photographer for a living so got lots of short 2 nighters planned and can just take off lucky me

I will post some pics as I move along with mods

going to get a ARB front bumper and winch and some new shocks lift a bit more not to much but looking at some OME or coil over shocks

the roof rack I might end up with a African Outback aluminum rack soon

waiting to see if I can get a Engel 75 combi in the states or go with a 60 and the two-zone thing

so I do have a translation request

I think its Backi or bakki I have seen ? I take it thats like a pickup rig ? or the bed of a pickup or the back of a rig or cargo space ?

and the word Braii ? or something like that tried to find it again but cant but see those words pop up

Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    so I do have a translation request

I think its Backi or bakki I have seen ? I take it thats like a pickup rig ? or the bed of a pickup or the back of a rig or cargo space ?

and the word Braii ? or something like that tried to find it again but cant but see those words pop up
    Your first guess was quite correct; bakkie (to rhyme with ducky) is the universal local term for a light truck or pickup. Derived from the Afrikaans for a small container, what you'd call a small bowl.

A braai (to rhyme with lie) is a barbecue, but you have to experience it to really know what it entails; definitely no hamburger patties or wieners in sight here, jk! I guess that's not all you'd find at an American barbecue either, right?

ahhh braai I was lost big time on

Hawaiian BBQ are the best
    fresh fish and goodies from the sea with some nice local meats and some birds
    we used to dig a pit in the sand throw in Kiawe (mainlanders call it Mesquite) and make coals get a chunk of wire grate material and throw all food on eat with fingers and serve with sticky white rice

Kalua pua'a is the best (pua'a is pig)

when I lived in Central America the BBQ stuff down there was also unique would love to get down that way and experience the local SA style someday

Can you give us more info on your Car? I for one have not seen nor heard of that model. I think that she looks very good (for a Toyota) but how is she offroad.... here also hoping you do take her offroad, and not just on a dirt road....
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast