Trailer tyre valve stem failure

Default Trailer tyre valve stem failure

So I was taking my luggage trailer somewhere to have it quoted to replace the 100 pcd hubs and wheels to fit ford 108 pcd wheels (it can then take the same wheels as my towing vehicles 14"wheels and if I get a Ecosport that too) and have the inside rubberised.

Coming from the R24 onto the N12/R24 I saw my trailer had a flat left tyre (trailer was skew in rear view mirror) and pulled over. Inspecting the wheel I notice the valve stem is all cracked at the bottom and letting the air out.

The right side wheel valve stem is also cracked but not all the way to let air out.

Trailer is 4 years old and has done less than 10 000km. I had to wait 1 and a half hours for AA to come (just because I had forgotten the deep size 24 socket at home, and also no vice grip or shifting spanner, required to take the spare off because it was a spur of the moment trip, else I would have been done and dusted in 10 minutes), one example why its good idea to have the same wheels on car and trailer, could just have used my cars spare wheel easily. Even the AA guy only had up to size 23 spanner and a too shallow 24 socket. Luckily he had a vice grip.

What's the best preventative maintenance/implementation that I need to do beyond the obvious checking more often and replacing if cracks appear?
    Last edited by supersunbird; 2014/11/06 at 08:57 PM.

Does the trailer stand in the sun? My father used to have a piece of wood that fitted under the trailer wheel arch from the floor and covered the wheel from the elements.
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Does the trailer stand in the sun? My father used to have a piece of wood that fitted under the trailer wheel arch from the floor and covered the wheel from the elements.
    Nope, under a carport.

Its getting new wheels anyway. From now on I'll just inspect it more often (in fact I never inspected it before, since I have never had a valve stem issue on a car because I drive so much any tyre never gets older than 2 and a bit years), its not like its an expensive item to maintain.

Fit metal stems, not that expensive.
    I might be a FOOL, but I am an OLD fool - from unknown.

I had a dog who's party trick was to munch all the valve stems! Frustrating to find 4 flat tyres on all the cars he could get to as you can't just pump them up. Metal stems sorted my car but I didn't get many overnight visitors for years. But was surprised at how many stems were already quite cracked.

I had the same issue with my BB, and it was stored out of the elements