Kruger Experience

Default Kruger Experience

The "Kruger Rip Off" thread in this forum was most interesting, particularly as it evolved. Hence I felt it appropriate to share my own recent experience and observations. Specifically as it relates to the rest camps.
    I attach my letter to SanParks after my September visit and have inserted the email reply I received from them.
    You decide.
    At least the "pot flower' has been removed! But sadly is the fact that the Skukuza campsite is only earmarked for upgrade "in the long term". In other words it is not going to happen soon. And that will probably be the case for other rest camps as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppie View Post
    The "Kruger Rip Off" thread in this forum was most interesting, particularly as it evolved. Hence I felt it appropriate to share my own recent experience and observations. Specifically as it relates to the rest camps.
    I attach my letter to SanParks after my September visit and have inserted the email reply I received from them.
    You decide.
    At least the "pot flower' has been removed! But sadly is the fact that the Skukuza campsite is only earmarked for upgrade "in the long term". In other words it is not going to happen soon. And that will probably be the case for other rest camps as well.
    I'll take the back seat on this one as I voiced the same views in the 'kruger rip off' thread.

As with our flourishing government the funds most certainly is not spent maintaining.

I stick to my guns -- the weather was not the only reason the Voortrekkers left the Cape in the 1800's

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Leaf Blowers in a National Park ?

You decide.
    Well done for actually going through the trouble to bring the problems under the managements attention. Most of us just sit back and complain among each other. I myself is often guilty of not actually complaining to the right people because it seems like effort.
    Toyota

You have to love the poor level of management. How did they not know about these problems before you brought them to their attention? did they think that the taps in the bathrooms were okay? did they not notice the broken walls and braai facilities, broken chairs and decaying tables.
    well done for a well written and clearly detailed letter.
    Living in the land Down Under.

Wonder how many times a month that letter gets a 'cut-and-past" job done on for the next complaint.

If they attend to the issues it will be great....KNP is a gem and a gold mine for Sanparks.

I bet nothing is going to come from this. And that is the sad part. Going through and staying in Kruger is not cheap-cheap and they have many tourists throughout the year, this means someone's getting a wonderfully large salary somewhere. Can't we put Carte Blanche on them? Please send this letter and response to them and have the real reporters investigate.

I have a small surprise for SanParks: Kloppie is not going away with one 'cut & paste' reply.
    Let's see if they somehow deliver as promised... Then maybe Carte Blance sounds like an idea if little happens.
    I hasten to add that my issue is about the condition of rest camps at Kruger. In June we stayed at Karoo, Addo & Tsitsikamma. Chalk & cheese. The latter especially immaculate and properly managed. Hence my sadness at the deterioration arriving at Kruger. ( and I did not even mention that this was already apparent at the Kruger gate reception where I hit the short straw at a disorganized desk..oh dear)
    So meantime, if you happen to camp at Skukuza let me know if the water points have been repaired, painted and the taps are now again shiny! And the braais serviced. Etc.

At R225.00 a day for two in one of the premium wild life destinations in Africa I think we should think twice before complaining our R225's defnitely wont pay for the upkeep. Back from two weeks in Satara and there was nothing I can complain about.
    2007 Jeep Wrangler CRD unlimited sport 6 speed manual

1973 Range Rover

2001 ML 320 petrol

2006 Conqueror Supra

If they can't even get the grammar right, how will they get the management right!

At R225 / day for 2 people you have the main reason why I have decided to stop camping in the Kruger. Add pensioner discount during the week and you find that most camps have become cheap residential destinations with no restriction on how many days you can stay in any one camp.

So when we arrive for a long weekend at Satara you are lucky if you can find anything close by the ablutions and with our age in the late 70's it would also be nice if we can get a little closer.

On closer investigation you realise just how many semi permanents are hogging all the stands around the ablution.

It won't stop us going to Kruger but I will go for the Chalets or a tent rather.

And Kloppie, well done. Like you, I don't shut up any more. I give them hell when I am there.

I have a small surprise for SanParks: Kloppie is not going away with one 'cut & paste' reply.
    Let's see if they somehow deliver as promised... Then maybe Carte Blance sounds like an idea if little happens.
    I hasten to add that my issue is about the condition of rest camps at Kruger. In June we stayed at Karoo, Addo & Tsitsikamma. Chalk & cheese. The latter especially immaculate and properly managed. Hence my sadness at the deterioration arriving at Kruger. ( and I did not even mention that this was already apparent at the Kruger gate reception where I hit the short straw at a disorganized desk..oh dear)
    So meantime, if you happen to camp at Skukuza let me know if the water points have been repaired, painted and the taps are now again shiny! And the braais serviced. Etc.
    Kloppie, was there yesterday, still the same, no changes.