Advise needed with off-road caravans

Default Advise needed with off-road caravans

I have decided that I am now too old to be pitching tents etc and am now looking for an off-road caravan type to tow behind my 2010 Landy Defender. We do a lot off remote camping so need to have something that can withstand harsh driving conditions.

I have trolled websites etc and seem to have narrowed it down to a shoot out between the Bushlapa (Boskriek) and the Jurgens XCape. We do not want something too big and pricey (only need a two berth) hence this range. My gut feel says XCape (have been given a very enticing quote on a new one with front blanket and full tent thrown into the deal).

I must say the Conqueror Comfort also looks enticing but feel that the erection of the tent and cover seems to be a bit of a pain and something I am actually trying to avoid!

I would value and advice from fellow forumites to help (of confuse) me!
    You have two choices : You can earn a living or you can design a life

We bought an Xcape a few weeks ago and towed it back to Plett from Kruger. I can give you quite a few years and I have to say - for those of us not in the first flush of youth, its great! We camped in a variety of good, and not so good, places en route and the Xcape always worked well for us. There are 'modifications' that you'll want to make, particularly lighting, but generally it works very well and tows like a dream. Good luck!

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
    Jurgens Classique
    VW Beetle Cabriolet
    Suzuki Vitara JLX Convertible

We don't get to choose when we die,
    But we do get to choose how we live.

There's no time you must be home -
    Sleep where darkness falls...

An old horse knows the way.
    - Chinese proverb

Why not look at the echo range?
    A clean 4x4 is a sign of a sick mind.
    Colt Clubcab 2800 TDI 4x4 - SAC EGT & Boost combo, 180watt lightbar (probably illegal) GET IN, SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP, & HANG ON
    Suzuki GSXR1100 - net vir die teer.... - Sold
    BB - Restored

Previous:
    Toyota 3.0KZ-TE SC (you will be missed)
    Pajero 3.5 V6 (Die dors ene)

Canon you cannot go wrong with either of the 2 on your shortlist. I would recommend the Bushlapa, even the Vlooi instead of the Boskriek, if you only want a 2 berth.
    The Bushlapa have a few advantages over the XCape. To mention a few:
    The BL is lighter than the XC
    The BL is lower than the XC making the tow easier
    The Bushwing setup is much quicker than the awing of the XC
    The fridge compartment of the BL is on the outside where the XC has the fridge inside
    The BL is manufactured from S/Steel and aluminium

I had the same problem a year ago and after very careful consideration I decided on the BL, and the above mentioned points were some of my decision criteria.
    My friend has an XCape and he is very happy with it. When we setup camp together, I am every time done before him, just because the BL set up is so easy and not time consuming at all.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Uys Snyders

Trailblazer 2.8DuraMax
    Bushlapa Vlooi B237

I think the BL has a lot to offer. Main consideration for me would be the quality going in to the building of the BL, each unit is hand built not in a production line factory and the quality control is hands on by the owner.
    the smaller frontal area and lighter non rusting construction will most definitely positively affect towing and longevity of the unit.

I keep an eye on this market as I would be going the same route when I am too old to pitch tents. As for now I still enjoy the light travelling and one nigt hopping lifestyle of the Mini. This December we are slightly stuffed as the weef has a broken back but next year it will be a tour down the garden route and up the west coast on a BMW 1200 Cant wait
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Stick with your gut feel, you won't be happy otherwise. I would have chosen the same no doubt. I agree with Uys on the fridge location - it works for some and others not. Design is totally different between the two options, although the deciding factor is what you perceive as quality and value for money. Things like weight and perceived quick setup times are over rated.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Do not be fooled by quick setup times. It all depends off what you want to setup? I had a Namib before and my friend the BL. In KTP he was still struggling with his shower cubicle and basin where I was done. Yes, he beats me hands down with his awning but that's it.

2016 Ford Ranger 4x4 Auto
    2010 Mitshubishi Pajero SWB - Sold
    2015 Toyota Fortuner Epic 4x4 Auto
    2014 Echo Kavango

" A meal without wine is called breakfast"

Quote Originally Posted by canon View Post
    We do a lot off remote camping so need to have something that can withstand harsh driving conditions.
    One can break anything if you try hard enough. My experience is that you will damage your tow vehicle before you damage your Bush Lapa.....like my camping buddy did with his Prado when he hit a deep ditch at speed... The BL has nothing that can shake loose or break off.

I do not know the XCape all that well but I did see one in Kaokoland that was abandoned and sad looking....but like I said, one can break anything if you try hard enough .

What about the Kewer?...also a 2 sleeper.

XCape pictures in Kaokoland on route to Marble Mine 2012 and then what it looked like one year later in 2013...

Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

The only caravan that I consider when too old for the Echo trailer is the Imaginevan.

I know, its pricey. And almost nothing on the second hand market.

But worth to look at.

Downsized beginning 2012 from Brakhah 4 berth to Xcape 2 berth. Looked at them all and price wise and value wise the Xcape was for me the overall winner. Dealer network also an important consideration. Here some pictures of my Xcape the last two years. Went to Moremi, Savuti, Mapungubwe, KNP, Mokala, Addo, Wilderness Nat Park and Swartpan in the Kgaligadi Botswana side. Nothing went wrong. Got some pictures of broken vehicles, trailers and caravans but will not post them. Like Kooskop said you can break anything and things can go wrong, doesn't matter what you are driving or what you are towing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	061.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	318119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	157.jpg 
Views:	979 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	318120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	075.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	318121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	141.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	318122  

Canon
    Go and visit all the brands that you like and then make up your mind people can give you advice but it is all about personal choice.

Don't forget the Afrispoor Serval, a 2 berther with inside table and seats. The pictures in the link show the old style awning - a bat-wing is also available. The BL Kewer is basically a crib of the Serval. We collect ours in 2 weeks time.
    2006 Defender KE 300 TDi (aka Hari), previously 2003 TD5 90 (aka Steri) and 1994 TDi HiLine 200 TDi (aka Big Blue).
    Afrispoor Serval off-road caravan (aka ORC).

I've recently purchased Sprite Tourer SP with deluxe mods. Yes, it is not a hardcore offroad caravan, but show me how many places you TRULY need this. I've had a Conqueror Conquest, Conqueror Companion and have tested with family member the BL Miskruier. They do not suit our requirement and after having tested a Tourer with Loftus Caravan's, this is by far the best for our requirements (and SWAMBO happiest of all which is the most important)
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DID 4x4 Auto
    Sprite Tourer SP (modified)

Prior
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DID and a few mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabobi82 View Post
    I've recently purchased Sprite Tourer SP with deluxe mods. Yes, it is not a hardcore offroad caravan, but show me how many places you TRULY need this. I've had a Conqueror Conquest, Conqueror Companion and have tested with family member the BL Miskruier. They do not suit our requirement and after having tested a Tourer with Loftus Caravan's, this is by far the best for our requirements (and SWAMBO happiest of all which is the most important)
    I am VERY happy with the Xplorer but I always get a nagging feeling I should have gone with the tourer.

I will need to do Van Zyls with the Xplorer so I say I bought the right caravan
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.