Kruger in December?

Default Kruger in December?

I have been to loads of Game Reserves but somehow Kruger have eluded me in the past. Probably because they put it in the wrong corner of RSA .

I see on Sanparks site there are still lots of camping and even chalets available.

So my questions are, is this totally the wrong time to go in terms of game viewing and finding a bit of solitude? Is it extremely busy?

Game viewing isn't that big a deal, but I don't want to drive all the way there and find the roads to be as busy as Beachroad in Campsbay in Dec

Any info would help
    2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
    2 Inch Fox Suspension
    285/70r17 Cooper STT Muds

Hi Pietie,

The more up north you go into the park, the quieter it will be. Around Skukuza, Lower Sabie, Satara it will be busy... Not as musch as Beachroad in Campsbay, but still. Try Shingwedzi, Tsendze or Letaba for a bit more peace? There's plenty Kruger experts here that can guide you.

It will also be quite hot to say the least!! Make sure your car's air-con is serviced and working PROPERLY!!

You will always see something in Kruger, no matter what time of year you go. Yes, the winter months are better, but if this is not high on your list of reasons to visit Kruger, you won't be disappointed.
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)

Quiet hot in December but not nearly as hot as some of those in leopard skins on Beach road !!
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Ditto previous posts:

The further north you go, the quieter it is.
    The further south you go, the more "big five" type game you see.

Previous Decembers I have spent a few days in the south to satisfy the kids need for cats, and then moved to the north to satisfy my need for peace.

You can easily see temperatures in the 40s. Early game drive, then spend the day in the shade or around the pool, and then a late afternoon game drive again.
    Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 Auto

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Quiet hot in December but not nearly as hot as some of those in leopard skins on Beach road !!
    Yes, our leopard skins differ a bit from the ones up north

Thanks guys, some very good pointers given here. I will definitely spend a day or two down south but then quickly make my way up north.
    2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
    2 Inch Fox Suspension
    285/70r17 Cooper STT Muds

Can't go wrong, there is so much diversity there that you can easily make your way from south to north and still be happy
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Smile

My favorite time in the KNP!

Hot as hell!

Switch off the a/c and open the windows! You get use to the heat after a couple of days. The heat is more bearable that way when you get out of the car!

Everything is green with lots of water! Drive slower, listen to the bush. Investigate every puddle, open your eyes to the small wonders around every puddle!

Bird life is prolific! You will see migrants you never see in winter!

You will see all the babies! Might even see a giraffe foul! Best experience!

Stay away from the public picnic spots on the holidays around Christmas! Rather book a 4x4 trail for that day! Stay on the dirt roads! Drive slowly!

Book a camp with a pool! You will thank me later!!

Drink more water and less booze! Booze makes you sweat more! Don't be afraid to get up at 4! The gates open early!

You will be back!

The KNP in December is reasonably uncomfortable.

Heat, crowds, flies, miggies.

Stay away from the tar roads, rather find a dam or water hole and a big tree and park off. Sunrise and sunset are the key times.

The game mostly go and do what any intelligent animal would do in the heat: find shade and chill, so from around 10h00 to almost 17h00 is a waste of time.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

A few years ago in December my two daughters and myself did Kruger north to south, camping in a different camp each night, did it in 6 nights, from Pafuri Gate to Komatipoort.

Up north we could drive for hours without seeing anyone, an awesome experience, kept to the dirt roads as much as possible.

As we got south of Letaba the volume of vehicles increased until we were happy to get out of the park at Komatipoort.

Up north is the place to be if you want the park to yourself. And the nature makes up for the any drop in animal sightings.
    2011 FREELANDER 2 SD4 S
    ex - 2004 DISCO TD5 GS Auto
    ex - 1997 DISCO Tdi