SUDAN to EGYPT new border by road open.

Default SUDAN to EGYPT new border by road open.

For the few that follow overlanding in North Africa, Egypt in particular, the long rumored border post by land between Waidi Halfa and Aswan at last appears to be open and functioning.

There have been vague reports of it being open over the last couple of months for VIPs and special events. There are now a few reports this month, of ordinary overlanders using this route relatively easily. It appears to be a good time to visit Egypt as it has been empty for some time of the previous hordes of tourists.

Previously one had to take the painfully slow Waidi Halfa to Aswan ferry. The passenger ferry was leaving only once a week and then your vehicle would travel on a separate barge some unpredictable days behind you. The whole process could take up to 2 weeks and was very expensive with accommodation et al taken into consideration. It was always an accusation that the powers that be were making a considerable profit from this whole sub-industry. The accusation was that profit rake-offs were the reason for this unique system persisting despite the fact that the roads for a border crossing had long been present. Naturally there are those die-hards that will feel that the achievement of a Cape to Cairo expedition will loose its challenge with this new, more convenient development.

According to "Thimba", who has been posting on this forum, the costs appear to be Euro 200 in total for both sides. Another reports describe US$ 125. The total time taken appears to be about 6 hours and is painful as all the contents of the vehicle have to be unpacked and transported to a building for an X-ray check. The red tape is so complicated that a fixer has to be used from either side, as was the case with the ferry.

Finally you have to take a short ferry trip to cross the Nile from the east to the west bank. This developement will certainly make the inclusion of Egypt a better proposition. It will be wonderful to have easier access to the wonders of the Red Sea, the White Desert and all the antiquities of Egypt. The number of overland expeditions have dwindled markedly with the activities of Boko Haram in Kenya and elsewhere and also with the political unrest in Egypt. I suppose Ebola has also had an effect.

Source:
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...sudan-63126-16
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2014/10/27 at 05:57 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Default Re: SUDAN to EGYPT new border by road open.

Hello Stan
    Trust you well. I am driving up from Cape Town to Egypt ... on a standard Carnet - I didnt take the 200% option. Do you have any information on canrnet, temporary import into Egypt (from Sudan side)?
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Ross McLean Calder View Post
    Hello Stan
    Trust you well. I am driving up from Cape Town to Egypt ... on a standard Carnet - I didnt take the 200% option. Do you have any information on canrnet, temporary import into Egypt (from Sudan side)?
    Ross
    You will not get into Egypt without a carnet valid for Egypt. Contact Mazar Mahir in Wadi Halfa who is an excellent fixer. Google him for his email contact details. His phone number in 2013 was +249 122 380740.

On the Egyptian side we used Mohammed Abouda as our fixer. Google will bring up his contact details too. We were coming from the north and it was before the land border was open so it was ferry and barge for us.

Good luck.

Hi Ross,

As usual Wazungu is right on the button. As you know we decided not to cross into Egypt from Sudan so I do not have first-hand knowledge. However I did all the research and concur completely with the previous post. You will definitely need the 200% carnet for Egypt.

It is obviously a concern depositing an amount to the value of 200% of your vehicle with the AA, especially when it is not interest bearing. What we did was get our bank to issue a guarantee for the amount to the AA, which they were happy to do. Thus no money was actually transferred.

As far as other arrangements are concerned, contact the fixer on the Sudan side, Mazar Mahir, well in advance, he comes very highly recommended and he is whom we planned to use as well. Occasionally some have managed to cross this border without fixers but many others have been caught sadly short when trying it on their own. I would ask Mazar which fixer he prefers working with on the Egyptian side, it may well turn out to be Mohammed Abouda as suggested. These fixers cost plenty and the border crossing itself is very expensive. All tell me that the fixers are worth every penny.

Enjoy your planning!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.