National Luna Dual Battery Meter Questions

Oceans247 Guest

Arrow National Luna Dual Battery Meter Questions

I have had a National Luna Dual Battery Meter for several months now but I don’t really understand the information it displays.

Let me explain.

I have a new Nissan high cycle battery in the front to start my vehicle and a new deep cycle (Deltec 105 Voyage) in the back for my fridge.

With all systems off the battery meter indicates both batteries fully charged with all Red and Orange lights lit. (I have also manually confirmed that the batteries are fully charged)

High cycle battery – When I turn the ignition on, all the Orange lights go off as the vehicle draws power to start. Once started it goes back up to fully Orange and then shortly after into the Green to indicate charging.

Deep cycle battery – When the battery was fully charged, I plugged in my NL fridge. Then immediately the battery meter showed only 3 out of 7 Orange lights as the compressor of the fridge was working.

Then after 10 mins the fridge reached temperature (about 2 degrees) and the compressor turns off. Then the battery meter showed 5 out of 7 orange lights. Which indicates about 75% left.

What can I really understand from this?

Firstly I doubt that my fridge has used 25% of the battery’s power in 10 mins.

Secondly, does the meter only give an accurate reading when nothing is drawing current?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Oceans247; 2008/06/03 at 09:02 PM.

Hi.

I was waiting for one of the more experienced guys to reply, as I know very little about these things. I can only relate as to my experience.

I bought a NL yesterday and put it in the bakkie for a testrun. It has been in there for almost 24 hours, set at 0, when the compressor is working the voltage drops to 12.2V, as soon as the compressor is off it returns to 12,5V. And this after 24 hours of working off only the vehicle's battery.

To answer your questions,
    - Yes the meter only shows the correct voltage when no current is drawn,
    - No the fridge can not use 25% after only 10min

I hope this helps.

Oceans247 Guest

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SNAKES View Post
    Hi.

I was waiting for one of the more experienced guys to reply, as I know very little about these things. I can only relate as to my experience.

I bought a NL yesterday and put it in the bakkie for a testrun. It has been in there for almost 24 hours, set at 0, when the compressor is working the voltage drops to 12.2V, as soon as the compressor is off it returns to 12,5V. And this after 24 hours of working off only the vehicle's battery.

To answer your questions,
    - Yes the meter only shows the correct voltage when no current is drawn,
    - No the fridge can not use 25% after only 10min

I hope this helps.
    Thanks very much for your reply. I was wondering where everybody had gone. Normaly there is a flood of replies.
    What you said confirms my thoughts. I am interested to hear from other people to if they have any thoughts / info.

Thanks

Your batteries will drop in voltage under load. The lower the charge state, the greater that initial voltage drop. I t would appear you need to charge up your deep cycle battery on a proper 3 stage mains charger at least overnight, possibly for a day or so, as I don't think it really is fully charged, only about 85%. It is not going to fully charge up from the alternator, which can only supply maintenance charging once the battery is well charged with the 3 stage charger. Then you should see the NL battery monitor returning to fairly normal operation.
    Regards,<br><br>Brian<br><br>

Defender 110 V8 CSW
    Range Rover Classic 3.9