Gearbox problem or clutch?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gearbox problem or clutch?

Hi,

I just bought a '95 V8 Discovery. The engine runs like a clock.
    I can't get the Disco to move. Shifting gears and moving between Lo and Hi feels like positive shifts but no power gets transferred from the engine to the gearbox.

The the transfer box and the gearbox engage on the driveshaft. I tested this by pushing the disco backwards and forwards and selecting the gears. With the transfer box and the gearbox in neutral the Disco runs free. With just one the transfer box or the gearbox shifted into gear it still runs free. Then I select Hi or Lo and any gear on the gearbox I get the resistance from the gearbox and transfer box on the wheels.

Any ideas or anyone ever experienced this?

my crystal ball says strip the gearbox out and check

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

LoL, thanks. Only option left. :-)

Pit

To take the box out WILL tell you whats wrong and unless you going to do it yourself will cost about 3K in labour

I have often wanted to buy one of those things with a light and a camera on the end - like the doc uses when he shoves it down your throat to look at the back of your toe nails
    Cause in this case you could put it up the hole in the bellhousing to see if the clutch is actually moving as it could just be a master and slave cylinder problem
    I think this contraption could also be used to check in many other areas of the landy to help in problem solving
    Owning an older vehicle means doing a lot yourself or paying a lot of money for labour

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Pit

To take the box out WILL tell you whats wrong and unless you going to do it yourself will cost about 3K in labour

I have often wanted to buy one of those things with a light and a camera on the end - like the doc uses when he shoves it down your throat to look at the back of your toe nails
    Cause in this case you could put it up the hole in the bellhousing to see if the clutch is actually moving as it could just be a master and slave cylinder problem
    I think this contraption could also be used to check in many other areas of the landy to help in problem solving
    Owning an older vehicle means doing a lot yourself or paying a lot of money for labour

Ross
    I've been thinking recently of using ones of those things to check the state of the pistons/cylinder walls......

My money is on the gearbox. The main shaft and lays haft are worn to the point where they have resistance with low torque but slip under high torque. Strip from the props haft end and keep going until you find the problem
    Defender 110 - 300tdi

If the good lord put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things before I die, I am so far behind I will never die!

Take the rear (PTO) cover off the transfer box and look at the state of the gearbox output shaft splines. It sounds like these have worn away, resulting in no power from the gearbox to the transfer box - thus no power to the wheels.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Pitpaplo View Post
    Hi,

I just bought a '95 V8 Discovery. The engine runs like a clock.
    I can't get the Disco to move. Shifting gears and moving between Lo and Hi feels like positive shifts but no power gets transferred from the engine to the gearbox.

The the transfer box and the gearbox engage on the driveshaft. I tested this by pushing the disco backwards and forwards and selecting the gears. With the transfer box and the gearbox in neutral the Disco runs free. With just one the transfer box or the gearbox shifted into gear it still runs free. Then I select Hi or Lo and any gear on the gearbox I get the resistance from the gearbox and transfer box on the wheels.

Any ideas or anyone ever experienced this?

My Disco 2 V8 engine also runs like a clock, a fast running clock.
    Tick, Tick,Tick Tick, Tick (Worn Lifter)

R380 box? I've got 2 that have the same problem.....stripped input shafts (toothless), common problem if you run low on oil, or tow the beast with the transfer box engaged.
    Not worth repairing....

Thanks to everyone that commented.

I found the problem after dropping the gearbox. This was the most uncomfortable vehicle to work on. Hope I'll be able to get my hands back in to tighten the belhousing.

Here are a picture of problem and why the Disco didn't want to move.

No, trace of any carbon/ceramic left in the belhousing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I found the problem after dropping the gearbox. This was the most uncomfortable vehicle to work on. Hope I'll be able to get my hands back in to tighten the belhousing.

AHA

Wading Plug not installed before going through deep water...........

I'd now refresh ALL drivetrain lubricants and check diff and gearbox breather pipes.

Axles and transfer case: Castrol SYNTRAX 75W140
    Gearbox: check with the boffins, could be ATF in the R380, I only ever had an LT95 or LT85. I used Castrol SYNTRANS 75W90 in the 5-speed LT85.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Gearbox uses MTF94, if you can source it in SA (no longer available from Castrol AFAIK).

Did you need to skim the flywheel? And did you replace the clutch fork with a reinforced aftermarket fork? The LR tandard fork is thin where the clutch slave cylinder plunger pushes against it, and a classic cause of "the car won't move" is the clutch failing to respond to pedal pressure because the plunger has gone through the fork.

that is the 2016 racing clutch conversion everyone has been talking about

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!