Gearbox problem or clutch?





Results 1 to 13 of 13

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 0

    Default Gearbox problem or clutch?

    Hi,

    I just bought a '95 V8 Discovery. The engine runs like a clock.
    I can't get the Disco to move. Shifting gears and moving between Lo and Hi feels like positive shifts but no power gets transferred from the engine to the gearbox.

    The the transfer box and the gearbox engage on the driveshaft. I tested this by pushing the disco backwards and forwards and selecting the gears. With the transfer box and the gearbox in neutral the Disco runs free. With just one the transfer box or the gearbox shifted into gear it still runs free. Then I select Hi or Lo and any gear on the gearbox I get the resistance from the gearbox and transfer box on the wheels.

    Any ideas or anyone ever experienced this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Springs
    Age
    59
    Posts
    16,707
    Thanked: 275

    Default

    my crystal ball says strip the gearbox out and check

    Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    LoL, thanks. Only option left. :-)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,071
    Thanked: 69

    Default

    Pit

    To take the box out WILL tell you whats wrong and unless you going to do it yourself will cost about 3K in labour

    I have often wanted to buy one of those things with a light and a camera on the end - like the doc uses when he shoves it down your throat to look at the back of your toe nails
    Cause in this case you could put it up the hole in the bellhousing to see if the clutch is actually moving as it could just be a master and slave cylinder problem
    I think this contraption could also be used to check in many other areas of the landy to help in problem solving
    Owning an older vehicle means doing a lot yourself or paying a lot of money for labour

    Ross

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    41
    Posts
    78
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Pit

    To take the box out WILL tell you whats wrong and unless you going to do it yourself will cost about 3K in labour

    I have often wanted to buy one of those things with a light and a camera on the end - like the doc uses when he shoves it down your throat to look at the back of your toe nails
    Cause in this case you could put it up the hole in the bellhousing to see if the clutch is actually moving as it could just be a master and slave cylinder problem
    I think this contraption could also be used to check in many other areas of the landy to help in problem solving
    Owning an older vehicle means doing a lot yourself or paying a lot of money for labour

    Ross
    I've been thinking recently of using ones of those things to check the state of the pistons/cylinder walls......

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    48
    Posts
    497
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    My money is on the gearbox. The main shaft and lays haft are worn to the point where they have resistance with low torque but slip under high torque. Strip from the props haft end and keep going until you find the problem
    Defender 110 - 300tdi

    If the good lord put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things before I die, I am so far behind I will never die!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    64
    Posts
    287
    Thanked: 12

    Default

    Take the rear (PTO) cover off the transfer box and look at the state of the gearbox output shaft splines. It sounds like these have worn away, resulting in no power from the gearbox to the transfer box - thus no power to the wheels.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,045
    Thanked: 4

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitpaplo View Post
    Hi,

    I just bought a '95 V8 Discovery. The engine runs like a clock.
    I can't get the Disco to move. Shifting gears and moving between Lo and Hi feels like positive shifts but no power gets transferred from the engine to the gearbox.

    The the transfer box and the gearbox engage on the driveshaft. I tested this by pushing the disco backwards and forwards and selecting the gears. With the transfer box and the gearbox in neutral the Disco runs free. With just one the transfer box or the gearbox shifted into gear it still runs free. Then I select Hi or Lo and any gear on the gearbox I get the resistance from the gearbox and transfer box on the wheels.


    Any ideas or anyone ever experienced this?

    My Disco 2 V8 engine also runs like a clock, a fast running clock.
    Tick, Tick,Tick Tick, Tick (Worn Lifter)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    cape Town - 0825509200 / 0624206806
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,230
    Thanked: 395

    Default

    R380 box? I've got 2 that have the same problem.....stripped input shafts (toothless), common problem if you run low on oil, or tow the beast with the transfer box engaged.
    Not worth repairing....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Thanks to everyone that commented.

    I found the problem after dropping the gearbox. This was the most uncomfortable vehicle to work on. Hope I'll be able to get my hands back in to tighten the belhousing.

    Here are a picture of problem and why the Disco didn't want to move.

    No, trace of any carbon/ceramic left in the belhousing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,156
    Thanked: 10252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitpaplo View Post
    Thanks to everyone that commented.

    I found the problem after dropping the gearbox. This was the most uncomfortable vehicle to work on. Hope I'll be able to get my hands back in to tighten the belhousing.

    Here are a picture of problem and why the Disco didn't want to move.

    No, trace of any carbon/ceramic left in the belhousing.
    AHA

    Wading Plug not installed before going through deep water...........

    I'd now refresh ALL drivetrain lubricants and check diff and gearbox breather pipes.

    Axles and transfer case: Castrol SYNTRAX 75W140
    Gearbox: check with the boffins, could be ATF in the R380, I only ever had an LT95 or LT85. I used Castrol SYNTRANS 75W90 in the 5-speed LT85.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    64
    Posts
    287
    Thanked: 12

    Default

    Gearbox uses MTF94, if you can source it in SA (no longer available from Castrol AFAIK).

    Did you need to skim the flywheel? And did you replace the clutch fork with a reinforced aftermarket fork? The LR tandard fork is thin where the clutch slave cylinder plunger pushes against it, and a classic cause of "the car won't move" is the clutch failing to respond to pedal pressure because the plunger has gone through the fork.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Springs
    Age
    59
    Posts
    16,707
    Thanked: 275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitpaplo View Post
    Thanks to everyone that commented.

    I found the problem after dropping the gearbox. This was the most uncomfortable vehicle to work on. Hope I'll be able to get my hands back in to tighten the belhousing.

    Here are a picture of problem and why the Disco didn't want to move.

    No, trace of any carbon/ceramic left in the belhousing.
    that is the 2016 racing clutch conversion everyone has been talking about

    Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2014/01/08, 06:18 PM
  2. Hyundai IX35 Clutch problem
    By cfraser in forum Hyundai
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2013/06/06, 05:32 PM
  3. Advice needed: 2002 Colt 2.4 ClubCab 4x4 Gearbox problem
    By Theunis Kruger in forum Mitsubishi
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2013/04/09, 08:53 AM
  4. Chev Captiva Clutch Problem 2
    By Cap driver in forum Softroaders
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2010/08/16, 02:10 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2008/02/04, 07:41 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •