Which route to choose between Gaborone (Botswana) and the Namibian border

Question Which route to choose between Gaborone (Botswana) and the Namibian border

Hello everybody
    This is my first post in this 4x4 commmunity and I hope that you can help me. Please be lenient with my english.
    We've spend 2 months this year in South Africa to travel all around the country but only 2 days in kgalagadi Transfrontalier Park, we specially love this place.
    We decide to come back next year from march till may to visit Botswana and Namibia during 2 months.
    We'll land in Johannesburg at mid march and we want to go to windhoek where we will meet friends to continue the trip to the north of the Namibia , Chobe, Moremi, Makgadikgadi, probably Tuli Block and back to Johannesburg.
    My question is about the route from Garobone to Namibia. Our preference is to go to Mabuasehube to spend a few days in the reserve and go west to Nossob for some days and enter in Namibia at Mata-Mata.
    An alternative is, after visiting Mabuasehube, to go to the north of Kgalagadi, enter in the park at Kaa and and spend a few days in this area and then enter in Namibia by Mamuno.
    What is in your opinion the best route concerning the landscape and the wildlife?
    Is it safe? We are a retired couple (66 and 63) with a pretty good experience of driving on track but not specially of driving in the sand.
    Thank you for your help.
    Marc

Hi Marc, and welcome to the forum.

If time is no concern then the better option is to continue from Mata-Mata into Namibia and drive along the Aoub river direction Marienthal. From there you have options to head directly to Windhoek or do some detour via Khomas Hochland, even Sossus Vlei would not be out of the way.
    This is by far more rewarding than the Trans Kalahari Highway via Kang, Mamuno and Gobabis.

But in case one, add some 3 days to have time for this part.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Hi mlegrand
    I like the route Kalahari Safari suggested via Mariental , Sossus vlei .
    We did this in reverse order last year and really enjoyed it

Thank you for your replies. But my questions were:
    1) About the track from Mabuasehube to Nossob, I would like to know if it's easy to drive on this track? If we need a permission from the rangers?
    2) And same question about the north part of the KTP when entering by Kaa gate. Is it a nice place to visit and also if it is easy to drive there?
    Thank you for your help.
    Marc

Hi mlegrand

You can book to stay in Mabuasehebu through Botswana Parks. Note that this is a remote destination and you need to be fully self sufficient, including taking your own water etc.

Yes, you can do the drive from Mabuasehebu to Nosob using the Southern route via Matopi. The northern route is a bush track which has to be booked and travelled in a minimum of two vehicles.

The track to Nosob is about 200km through dunes, see picture, some sand in places but generally an easy drive. Due to the distance it is advisable to stay over halfway at Matopi.

Once in Nosob, book at Sanparks, you can travel to Namibia via Mata Mata. I cannot comment on the KAA area.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The KAA area is nice, please do a search on Swartpan for instance! There are some trip reports re this area!

Rik

Here are pics of the track...
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=63600

Watch out for oncoming vehicles when driving up the dunes.

Enjoy

Finally, we choose to go to Mabuasehube where we'll spend 3 nights. then go to Nossob using the Southern route (recommended by JacoBrits) via Matopi (one night), one night in Nossob, one night in Twee Rivieren and then Mata Mata.
    I like the pictures in your message and your driving recommendations Vnielsen.
    The north part of the park, Kaa and the Swartpan look nice but we prefer entering in Namibia more at the south because we go to join our friends in Sesriem.
    Thanks to all of you for your help.
    We will book for Mabua and Matopi. What camp do you recommand ?
    Is it necessary to book in advance for the South African part of the park: Nossob, Twee Rivieren and Mata Mata?
    Is there diesel in Twee Rivieren? When we were there last time, there were only petrol but not diesel. I think the 190 liters of the car may be insufficient to go until the first service station in Namibia.
    I know that the border formalities must be done at Twee Rivieren and that to avoid transit traffic SA oblige users to spend a minimum of 2 nights in the park.

Matopi is just a spot in the bush. Yes there is diesel in both Nossob and Twee Rivieren, although Nossob may be unreliable at times.

Yes, you must book for SA side, well in advance. Go to http://www.sanparks.org.

Here is an image of Matopi. There are no facilities.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You will also need to book the Botswana campsites via the Department of Wildlife and National Parks. Best is to do it via the telephone, if you can, as government offices aren't always punctual regarding checking email in-boxes; you should be able to reach the booking office via the department's main telephone number: +267 3971405.

Bon voyage!