Default planning drive through Botswana

Dear 4x4 community

What a great forum. I have been reading through a lot of threads. A lot of valuable infos there.

I am from Switzerland and in July/August 2015 we are planning to ship our Land Rover Defender to South Africa. Our plan is to have our trusty Land Rover in the region so we can explore bit by bit of the great continent.
    In July we would like to collect the car in Cape Town and drive up to Livingstone. As a lot of great parks are nearby Livingstone it seems to me a great place to have our car stored until we return for our next trip. Now we will have 3 weeks available. Firstly we would love to spend a few days in Cape Town and then start our drive up towards Livingstone. On the way up we would love to explore some nice places, but have decided against visiting CKGR, Moremi or Chobe as we would like to do that another time. Now what would you recommend to visit on the way up?
    I thought of visiting Kgalagadi NP and continue from there through Botswana, maybe with a stop at Kubu Islands, to Livingstone. Or the other idea was to drive past Gaborone to Khama Rhino Sanctuary, then to Kubu Island and Hwange NP.
    As we really would love to visit a game park, which one would you recommend? Kgalagadi or Hwange? I read a few trip reports regarding Kgalagadi and it seems a great park. But is it also good to go in July? As we will continue up north through Botswana would you recommend leaving the park through Kaa Gate or better through Mabuasehube? As we love to be in remote areas and don’t like crowded campsite which sites would you recommend?
    Or would Hwange NP be a nicer place? Probably much warmer during July / August.
    In the past few years we haven been exploring mainly Tanzania and Kenya and have done a lot of self drive camping trips there. But I have never been, except for a short trip to Namibia, in Southern Africa. So all your help is highly appreciated.
    Thanks a lot
    Robert

Hi

1st thing to keep in mind is the school holidays in RSA.

Normally it is from end June to 2nd last week of July, Most National parks will be full with very limited space.

July is rain season in Cape Town......if lucky the weather might be fine BUT it might rain for a week.

My route options will be;

1- Cape Town- Richtersveld - Sousousvlei - Etosha-Caprivi-Livingstone.

2- Cape town- Tankwa -KTP-Nxai/Kubu -Hwange-Livingstone

3- Cape Town-Karoo National park- Mokala -KTP- Kubu-Livingstone.

3 weeks seems like a long time but if you can squeeze it to 4 weeks you will be able to see so much more.

feel free to ask more questions.

regards.

Gruezi Robert,
    Heimwehschweizer aus Botswana, reading your post.

I think the Kgalagadi TFP would be a good place to visit if you can get reservations.
    I would try this first through SANPark web site SANpark.org, then if you can book in advance you are already halfway through preps.
    For Rooiputs, Polentswa and the Mabua section contact DWNP in Botswana [email protected] and see what you can organize.
    Now we are committed and ending up somewhere near Kaa or Kang on the way north.
    I would then recommend to head up to the Delta and follow the western panhandle, visit a few places and cross through Caprivi into Katima Mulilo then further to Livingstone. There are plenty of wild places, quite remote and not crowded.
    If that sounds good to you you can PM me for more info or details.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

@Gryskat: Thanks for your reply. I have only 3 weeks, can't extend to 4 unfortunately. We will arrive around 25 July in Cape Town, so your school holidays will probably be over. I know it is not the best time of year for Cape Town, but I don't think it will be worse than the weather we had this summer here in Switzerland.
    @ Kalahari Safari: Viele Dank, super Infos. Good idea about driving up the western panhandle. Haven't thought about it.
    I know we need to make reservations. Unfortunately something I don't like at all. While travelling I love to not plan too much ahead. That was also the reason why I was favoring KTP over Hwange. Maybe after leaving KTP we don't need any reservations anymore. Or am I mistaken? Would I also need to make reservations for Tsodilo Hills or the Caprivi part?

Mganga,

We have wonderful friends from Switzerland that is actually coming to SA in two weeks time again. They have travelled Botswana, Zimbabwe and Namibia all over. They stay in Toffen near Bern. If you want I can PM their email address and you can get valuable info from them as well, they are very friendly people and will gladly help you.

Welcome to the forum.
    Enjoy your trip. Botswana is such a fantastic place.
    I have attached the South African school calender for 2015 so you can see where you may overlap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve
    Jetta 2.0 TDI 2012
    Pajero 3.2 SWB 2009
    Jurgens Xcape
    Discovery II TD5 2004 (Sold)

Regarding reservations;
    No need to book after KTP / Mabua.

Un fortunately there is very little attractive points up the western panhandle apart form some Overlander's camp spots like Sepupa swamp stop etc.
    Try to reach Nguma lagoon (lodge and camp) and later on closer to Mhangu NP there are a few decent spots with some attraction.

In Caprivi try Ngepi directly on the Kavango or opposite side the Communit camp overlooking the rapids. Follow the track down rivers along the fence of the prison camp on the eastern side of the river.
    If you are adventurous you can drive a loop through Buffalo Park joining the B8 further east.

Then eastern Caprivi try Nambwa 4x4 camp in Sisulu triangle just before crossing the bridge to Konglola. There are access restrictions but you book on the opposite side (up river) about 2 km (wildlife office).
    Later Mudumu or Ruapara (former Mamili) are good spots for solitude.
    When you reach Katima Mulilo don't forget to call in as Caprivi House Boat Safaris directly over the zambezi.
    Curt & Silke (Sandbug on this forum) run a tidy lodge and camp with optins to overnight in their house boats in RTT similar to the ones on vehicles anywhere on the Zambezi.

Hope that gives an input, 3 weeks should by now be filled together with the compulsory visits in VF.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

www.kevinandmichelle.co.uk
    Might get some ideas!
    Kevin and Michelle Heyes
    [/SIGPIC]
    www.kevinandmichelle.co.uk

Thanks a lot for all your advice. This will help a lot. So for now I will start route planning and first of all check which campsites are available in KTP. And then I still need to organise the shipment of our car.
    Greetings from a very cold Switzerland. Winter has come back.

Yeah, let us know where you will cruise.
    If you come any close to Gabs we might meet for a beer or few.

Winter has come back ?? Well let's say it has started with a bang after the prolonged Indian summer last month.
    I had the pleasure of living it throughout Switzerland for once.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

You could also do Cape Town - Kgalagadi - Caprivi (travel via Ghanzi, Susuwe and exit Botswana at Mohembo) - Livingstone with stops at Ngepi (wonderful chilled place to visit) and Nambwa in the Caprivi. Nambwa is magical with wonderful wildlife. This is do-able in 3 weeks.
    “Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.” -
W. C. Fields

I have sent you a pm. Good luck with the shipping, make sure you have a good agent in cape town to ease your path. Does it have to be cape town? How about walvis bay namibia?

Living in Spain, dreaming of Africa
    Overland U.K. to Cape Town 2011/12
    Nam/Bots/S.Africa Sep/Dec 2013
    S.Africa feb 2015
    Namibia Sep/Oct 2015
    Defender TD5 csw 2006
    Defender 300tdi csw 1994

Thanks a lot for all your help.
    We decided that we go through Kgalagadi into Botswana. And from there one we will decide then and there which route we will take. At the moment I prefer the route up western Botswana with stops at Tsodilo Hills, Ngepi and maybe Nambwa.
    I contacted DWNP and it seems there are still campsites available for us. Only Mabuasehube region is more difficult. Only Bosobogolo, entrance gate and Khiding are available. I don't want to stay at the entrance gate. Which one would you prefer: Bosobogolo or Khiding?

Go for Bosobogolo, there is a water hole in the proximity.

Khidding is rather dry but good for day visit, we saw bat eared foxes as the only place for a long stretch.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

I got my reservations for the KTN together. We will stay at Rooiputs CS No 4 for 2 nights, 1 night at Nossob, 1 night at Motopi CS No 1 and then 2 nights at Bosobogolo CS No 2.
    Thanks a lot for all your help. From the KTN we will probably decide then and there which way we will take to Livingstone.
    Now we only need to get our car shipped.

Good camps you booked, you are in for some nice bush experience.

Good luck with the car shipping.
    Word of caution here:
    Give it a few extra days from eta, as often the berthing takes a bit longer than planned to off-load.
    Cheers
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Our car is already in Cape Town.🇿🇦 Still 18 days to go before we take our flights. Can't wait.