Oryx versus Bush Lapa





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    50
    Posts
    677
    Thanked: 2

    Default Oryx versus Bush Lapa

    In the new year i want to look at an offroad caravan (small one).The reason for converting from my current offroad trailer (echo3) to a
    caravan is totally health related so im looking at something very easy to setup.Watching a vid on the bush lapa it was literally a 5 minute setup.Seen some pretty good reviews on the bush lapa but at 185k have to look at second hand alternatives and due to the length Bush Lapa have been in the market,second hand ones are very scarce.Any opinions/comments please.

    Dean Watson

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    No fixed abode
    Age
    59
    Posts
    351
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    Dean

    We also wanted to upgrade from out trailer to a camper (check out my post on the subject over here). We eventually decided on a Afrispoor Serval, largely because it is much more airy and spacious than the BL & Imagine. Key for us was the chairs and table setup inside the van that allows us to work when the weather is bad (we plan to travel and work from our van over the next few years - the wonders of the Internet age). We will be back in PE with our new van at the begining of December, so if you want a decko give me a PM.
    2006 Defender KE 300 TDi (aka Hari), previously 2003 TD5 90 (aka Steri) and 1994 TDi HiLine 200 TDi (aka Big Blue).
    Afrispoor Serval off-road caravan (aka ORC).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,195
    Thanked: 228

    Default

    Dean hi, good luck for the research and enjoy it.
    You cannot go wrong with the Bushlapa they also now have a model with inside chairs, if that is a necessity.
    Each caravan model does have its own pro's and con's - and at the end of the day it is what is working for you and not.
    What you will find with the bushlapa is that it is really good laid out, light to tow and the set up is as easy as can be.
    Go and have a look at the available products and models and decide for yourself.
    Have fun.
    Uys Snyders

    Trailblazer 2.8DuraMax
    Bushlapa Vlooi B237

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,370
    Thanked: 1102

    Default

    Check with Bush Lapa. They normally know when 2nd hand vans become available. The Kewer has a table and seats and the new 6 sleeper Ratel is due to be released shortly.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

    When in doubt, paint it black

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,370
    Thanked: 1102

    Default

    SNAP! Uys....
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

    When in doubt, paint it black

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    50
    Posts
    677
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j-ms View Post
    Dean

    We also wanted to upgrade from out trailer to a camper (check out my post on the subject over here). We eventually decided on a Afrispoor Serval, largely because it is much more airy and spacious than the BL & Imagine. Key for us was the chairs and table setup inside the van that allows us to work when the weather is bad (we plan to travel and work from our van over the next few years - the wonders of the Internet age). We will be back in PE with our new van at the begining of December, so if you want a decko give me a PM.
    Nice setup.From a visual,looks like the bush lapa is lower.I am only 5ft6 so
    like on the echo3 setting up all the tarps is a mission becuase i cant reach with ease.Your setup looks like i would have the same problem whereas BL,the awning just wraps around the trailer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Check with Bush Lapa. They normally know when 2nd hand vans become available. The Kewer has a table and seats and the new 6 sleeper Ratel is due to be released shortly.
    I have Martin checking out for one from BL.

    Dean Watson

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,195
    Thanked: 228

    Default

    Dean I am not much taller than you and the Bushwing on the Bushlapa I can do on my own! The wing is a winner and works easy.
    Uys Snyders

    Trailblazer 2.8DuraMax
    Bushlapa Vlooi B237

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    50
    Posts
    677
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uys Snyders View Post
    Dean I am not much taller than you and the Bushwing on the Bushlapa I can do on my own! The wing is a winner and works easy.
    Thanks Uys,there is hope for us short people.

    Dean Watson

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Doornlaagte, Rustenburg
    Age
    53
    Posts
    136
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DUMPIE View Post
    In the new year i want to look at an offroad caravan (small one).The reason for converting from my current offroad trailer (echo3) to a
    caravan is totally health related so im looking at something very easy to setup.Watching a vid on the bush lapa it was literally a 5 minute setup.Seen some pretty good reviews on the bush lapa but at 185k have to look at second hand alternatives and due to the length Bush Lapa have been in the market,second hand ones are very scarce.Any opinions/comments please.
    Hi there. I cannot comment on the BL, but myself and SWAMBO use our Oryx extensively. In fact, we just returned from a 30 day around the Cape tour of 5700 k's and the Oryx did it all. Easy, simple, quick, no loose poles for the tent/canopy/awning. Open the roof, let down the bed and voilá!!! Noy that light to tow though... Heavy nose. But man it is stable on the road, ANY road!
    * '03 Prado 120 3.0 diesel
    Iron Man suspension
    Snorkel, DIY fitted
    LED light bar
    ARB bumper (almost black...)
    Custom 63mm exhaust
    Charging thing for...
    * '11 Oryx campervaantjie
    C-Tec DC-DC charger

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    4,145
    Thanked: 2120

    Default

    Can't go wrong with an Oryx. Superb quality and complete unit with everything you'll need in a small footprint. Extremely quick an easy to set up and better value for money.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    49
    Posts
    18
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    I also have a oryx . Cant go wrong with that . That said for 2 people , no problem.
    Mazda bt 50 3.2 4x4 d/c
    Mazda 6
    89'Hilux 2.2 Dt 4x4 d/c
    Toyota 30 D4D s/c ( sold)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    4,145
    Thanked: 2120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by veldspoor View Post
    I also have a oryx . Cant go wrong with that . That said for 2 people , no problem.
    Indeed, the rooftent up front doesn't really make it a 4 sleeper (unless you've got big children) and also the reason why we upgraded to a Xplorer.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    50
    Posts
    677
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Can't go wrong with an Oryx. Superb quality and complete unit with everything you'll need in a small footprint. Extremely quick an easy to set up and better value for money.
    Value for money is the big question.The BL coming in at 162K for a two sleeper!!!! (stock standard)-add there extras and you looking at 184K

    Dean Watson

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    4,145
    Thanked: 2120

    Default

    Not sure what a new Oryx goes for, but mine last year (2013 model) was R155k all incl ready to camp. I guess they'd be around R170k now. Physically go an look at all the options first before deciding. What's nice for me is not necessarily nice for you and it's big bucks to spend on the wrong choice.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kyalami
    Age
    64
    Posts
    84
    Thanked: 2

    Default Oryx versus Bush Lapa

    Had to change for exactly the same reasons in 2012 and settled on the Boskriek Model - for 3 people but the additional space for 2 is just perfect!! Did a 5000km trip last year (Namibie/Botwswana) and it came to the party in every anticipated respect - 10/10 would be my verdict!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    50
    Posts
    677
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Not sure what a new Oryx goes for, but mine last year (2013 model) was R155k all incl ready to camp. I guess they'd be around R170k now. Physically go an look at all the options first before deciding. What's nice for me is not necessarily nice for you and it's big bucks to spend on the wrong choice.
    One can pick up a good second hand Oryx now for 100K.

    Going to be a while before one finds second hand good BL's.

    Dean Watson

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    4,145
    Thanked: 2120

    Default

    Just look at the 2005+ models (my opinion). Some major chassis changes, larger fold-out tent above the bed, separate outside shower unit and the kitchen unit moved to the front right hand side. The kitchen at the rear is quite annoying apparently.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,101
    Thanked: 82

    Default

    Ek stem gaan kyk na die waens kyk wat werk vir jou en gaan maak jou keuse sterkte

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Swellendam
    Age
    61
    Posts
    209
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Wat se die manne wat Oryx het enige lekke as dit reen ek dink daaraan om een te koop.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sedgefield
    Age
    60
    Posts
    671
    Thanked: 91

    Default Good choice

    Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post
    Wat se die manne wat Oryx het enige lekke as dit reen ek dink daaraan om een te koop.
    I think the choice of an Oryx is a good one , I have yet to hear of a person who is unhappy , I also see that the resale value is also not poor . Look at taking a model older than 2006 as the major changes had already been made . Knowing the Jurgens team they would address any defects or repairs , maar jy is handig en kan dit self doen . Mods is items wat persooonlik is . Maak net seker dat daar plek vir n vistok is
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bush Lapa mods
    By Kooskop in forum Trailers, Caravans, Towing etc
    Replies: 7056
    Last Post: 2019/10/08, 02:29 PM
  2. Bushlapa Rooimier
    By Onematch in forum Trailers, Caravans, Towing etc
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 2018/06/10, 12:17 PM
  3. Bush Lapa Vlooi, first impressions
    By Tobie4x4 in forum Trailers, Caravans, Towing etc
    Replies: 247
    Last Post: 2017/11/03, 09:11 AM
  4. First Aid & Medical Emergencies in the bush
    By MikeAG in forum Overland advice, reports etc
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2017/04/11, 07:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •