Oryx versus Bush Lapa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Oryx versus Bush Lapa

In the new year i want to look at an offroad caravan (small one).The reason for converting from my current offroad trailer (echo3) to a
    caravan is totally health related so im looking at something very easy to setup.Watching a vid on the bush lapa it was literally a 5 minute setup.Seen some pretty good reviews on the bush lapa but at 185k have to look at second hand alternatives and due to the length Bush Lapa have been in the market,second hand ones are very scarce.Any opinions/comments please.

Dean Watson

Dean

We also wanted to upgrade from out trailer to a camper (check out my post on the subject over here). We eventually decided on a Afrispoor Serval, largely because it is much more airy and spacious than the BL & Imagine. Key for us was the chairs and table setup inside the van that allows us to work when the weather is bad (we plan to travel and work from our van over the next few years - the wonders of the Internet age). We will be back in PE with our new van at the begining of December, so if you want a decko give me a PM.
    2006 Defender KE 300 TDi (aka Hari), previously 2003 TD5 90 (aka Steri) and 1994 TDi HiLine 200 TDi (aka Big Blue).
    Afrispoor Serval off-road caravan (aka ORC).

Dean hi, good luck for the research and enjoy it.
    You cannot go wrong with the Bushlapa they also now have a model with inside chairs, if that is a necessity.
    Each caravan model does have its own pro's and con's - and at the end of the day it is what is working for you and not.
    What you will find with the bushlapa is that it is really good laid out, light to tow and the set up is as easy as can be.
    Go and have a look at the available products and models and decide for yourself.
    Have fun.
    Uys Snyders

Trailblazer 2.8DuraMax
    Bushlapa Vlooi B237

Check with Bush Lapa. They normally know when 2nd hand vans become available. The Kewer has a table and seats and the new 6 sleeper Ratel is due to be released shortly.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

SNAP! Uys....
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Quote Originally Posted by j-ms View Post
    Dean

We also wanted to upgrade from out trailer to a camper (check out my post on the subject over here). We eventually decided on a Afrispoor Serval, largely because it is much more airy and spacious than the BL & Imagine. Key for us was the chairs and table setup inside the van that allows us to work when the weather is bad (we plan to travel and work from our van over the next few years - the wonders of the Internet age). We will be back in PE with our new van at the begining of December, so if you want a decko give me a PM.
    Nice setup.From a visual,looks like the bush lapa is lower.I am only 5ft6 so
    like on the echo3 setting up all the tarps is a mission becuase i cant reach with ease.Your setup looks like i would have the same problem whereas BL,the awning just wraps around the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Check with Bush Lapa. They normally know when 2nd hand vans become available. The Kewer has a table and seats and the new 6 sleeper Ratel is due to be released shortly.
    I have Martin checking out for one from BL.

Dean Watson

Dean I am not much taller than you and the Bushwing on the Bushlapa I can do on my own! The wing is a winner and works easy.
    Uys Snyders

Trailblazer 2.8DuraMax
    Bushlapa Vlooi B237

Quote Originally Posted by Uys Snyders View Post
    Dean I am not much taller than you and the Bushwing on the Bushlapa I can do on my own! The wing is a winner and works easy.
    Thanks Uys,there is hope for us short people.

Dean Watson

Quote Originally Posted by DUMPIE View Post
    In the new year i want to look at an offroad caravan (small one).The reason for converting from my current offroad trailer (echo3) to a
    caravan is totally health related so im looking at something very easy to setup.Watching a vid on the bush lapa it was literally a 5 minute setup.Seen some pretty good reviews on the bush lapa but at 185k have to look at second hand alternatives and due to the length Bush Lapa have been in the market,second hand ones are very scarce.Any opinions/comments please.
    Hi there. I cannot comment on the BL, but myself and SWAMBO use our Oryx extensively. In fact, we just returned from a 30 day around the Cape tour of 5700 k's and the Oryx did it all. Easy, simple, quick, no loose poles for the tent/canopy/awning. Open the roof, let down the bed and voilá!!! Noy that light to tow though... Heavy nose. But man it is stable on the road, ANY road!
    * '03 Prado 120 3.0 diesel
    Iron Man suspension
    Snorkel, DIY fitted
    LED light bar
    ARB bumper (almost black...)
    Custom 63mm exhaust
    Charging thing for...
    * '11 Oryx campervaantjie
    C-Tec DC-DC charger

Can't go wrong with an Oryx. Superb quality and complete unit with everything you'll need in a small footprint. Extremely quick an easy to set up and better value for money.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

I also have a oryx . Cant go wrong with that . That said for 2 people , no problem.
    Mazda bt 50 3.2 4x4 d/c
    Mazda 6
    89'Hilux 2.2 Dt 4x4 d/c
    Toyota 30 D4D s/c ( sold)

Quote Originally Posted by veldspoor View Post
    I also have a oryx . Cant go wrong with that . That said for 2 people , no problem.
    Indeed, the rooftent up front doesn't really make it a 4 sleeper (unless you've got big children) and also the reason why we upgraded to a Xplorer.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Can't go wrong with an Oryx. Superb quality and complete unit with everything you'll need in a small footprint. Extremely quick an easy to set up and better value for money.
    Value for money is the big question.The BL coming in at 162K for a two sleeper!!!! (stock standard)-add there extras and you looking at 184K

Dean Watson

Not sure what a new Oryx goes for, but mine last year (2013 model) was R155k all incl ready to camp. I guess they'd be around R170k now. Physically go an look at all the options first before deciding. What's nice for me is not necessarily nice for you and it's big bucks to spend on the wrong choice.

Default Oryx versus Bush Lapa

Had to change for exactly the same reasons in 2012 and settled on the Boskriek Model - for 3 people but the additional space for 2 is just perfect!! Did a 5000km trip last year (Namibie/Botwswana) and it came to the party in every anticipated respect - 10/10 would be my verdict!

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Not sure what a new Oryx goes for, but mine last year (2013 model) was R155k all incl ready to camp. I guess they'd be around R170k now. Physically go an look at all the options first before deciding. What's nice for me is not necessarily nice for you and it's big bucks to spend on the wrong choice.
    One can pick up a good second hand Oryx now for 100K.

Going to be a while before one finds second hand good BL's.

Dean Watson

Just look at the 2005+ models (my opinion). Some major chassis changes, larger fold-out tent above the bed, separate outside shower unit and the kitchen unit moved to the front right hand side. The kitchen at the rear is quite annoying apparently.

Ek stem gaan kyk na die waens kyk wat werk vir jou en gaan maak jou keuse sterkte

Wat se die manne wat Oryx het enige lekke as dit reen ek dink daaraan om een te koop.

Default Good choice

Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post
    Wat se die manne wat Oryx het enige lekke as dit reen ek dink daaraan om een te koop.
    I think the choice of an Oryx is a good one , I have yet to hear of a person who is unhappy , I also see that the resale value is also not poor . Look at taking a model older than 2006 as the major changes had already been made . Knowing the Jurgens team they would address any defects or repairs , maar jy is handig en kan dit self doen . Mods is items wat persooonlik is . Maak net seker dat daar plek vir n vistok is
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast