Proposed Hydroelectric plant - Augrabies: Survey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Proposed Hydroelectric plant - Augrabies: Survey

North West University is conducting a survey for SANParks for interested parties to comment on the proposed Hydro-Electric plant above Augrabies waterfalls.

For background:
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=176843

If you would like to complete the survey, please do. It does take a bit of time but it's worth it!

https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=f7dKuoJeBDRt6hBDqCShcg
    Ockert
    Toyota Prado 120 4.0VX

Done the survey, please follow suit.

If we want to have a voice, here is a chance!
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

I'd rather have a hydro plant on the Augrabies than a nuclear plant at Oranjemund........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I'd rather have a hydro plant on the Augrabies than a nuclear plant at Oranjemund........
    There are alternatives like photovoltaic or wind power and there is ample space in the Karoo, even out of eyesight.
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Done the survey, please follow suit.
    If we want to have a voice, here is a chance!
    Done. Please all who care about Augrabies fill in the form, it's quick.

From what I understood of the plans I read about a few months ago, it is not as if they will be fitting a huge water wheel in the main fall. The operations are planned to be hidden from sight and should not influence the falls directly. I may be wrong, but this seems like a bit of a knee jerk reaction to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    There are alternatives like photovoltaic or wind power and there is ample space in the Karoo, even out of eyesight.
    Hydro energy generation goes on while there is water.

Photovoltaic/solar needs, errrr , the sun. Hence a huge dip in energy supply into the grid at night.

Wind power: more of a chance with this but we are off topic already.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Survey done

I have to agree with Thys.

What are the details?

A hydro power plant is barely visible at the falls themselves.

Look eg at the hydro-electrical plant at the Niagara Falls.
    The intake is a distance above the falls and the generating plant a considerable distance below the falls, out of sight.

We need responsible planning, not abolishment, IMHO
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"Two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity. ..... and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein

If you see spelling mistakes in my posts, use as many of the goodies below as required to fix it!
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789
    - '

Done
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

Agree with Thys. I think this is an excellent initiative. By the way, there is also one in an advanced stage of planning at the Boegoeberg dam, on the opposite side from where the recent GTG took place.

Nothing they do near Augrabies can come near to being as ugly and an eye sore as that massive collection tower they just built outside Upington for a solar energy plant. Now THAT is something that should have been opposed purely on the basis of aesthetics.

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

I haven't read through the thread posted above.
    But what I have heard (for a reliable source) Is that a massive percentage of the water would be redirected away from the falls. The "source" was involved with the invironmental impact study done on the project and is strongly again the project for this reason. Apparently the falls will just about run dry.
    Wilhelm

I cannot agree that the project will have little influence on the area. This is a huge project, within earshot and visible from the main camp. It will be ìn the park, and as an example, they estimate that 160000 cubic meters of solid waste will be generated by excavations. That's a lot. Further reading if interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ockert
    Toyota Prado 120 4.0VX

Done. Hope our inputs really make a difference. Once spoilt, the lost natural beauty will be impossible to regain.
    [LEFT]"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"
    Oscar Wilde

[/LEFT
    ]" The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil"
    Hannah Arendt

Depending the size of the turbines, but must likely the falls will run dry, or for certain period per year, as they redirect the water , not a big impact on the river it selves, but there could be other impacts then.

Ruacana comes to mind.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Depending the size of the turbines, but must likely the falls will run dry, or for certain period per year, as they redirect the water , not a big impact on the river it selves, but there could be other impacts then.
    Ruacana comes to mind.
    SANParks have expressed grave concern over the impact on the riverine ecology, among other things - from the Mail & Guardian:

SANParks’s Gabrielle Venter particularly objects to the elements of the project in the Augrabies Park.
    A SANParks report sent to Aurecon and the water affairs department points out that the planned culvert would pass through the area of the park “which provides the highest form of protection”.
    “The zone also serves to protect sensitive environments from development impacts and tourism pressure. The conservation objective is to maintain the zone in as near to a natural state as possible with no impact on biodiversity patterns or processes,” the report says.
    Venter also complained about the visual impact the hydroelectric scheme is likely to have, both on the park and in terms of the reduced water flow over the falls. She said that the diverted water would undermine the integrity of the ecosystem.
    'Pristine wilderness ... will be irrevocably damaged'

There's more along these lines from different SANParks experts and from others in the Aurecon report on the web.

sorry but wind is very over rated, first of all the biggest ones only produce 5megawatt at optimum windflow. as you all know some days it blows for days other times airflow is dead. like solar it is a parttime use energy sourse....

people in south africa need to make a choice. either live with the increasing power issues if things don't change or build powerstations of some sort either nuke or coal.
    Luke aka Jedi

1954 Landy Rover Series 1 86"- Rambling Rose
    Best company slogan: Cherrybomb performance exhaust, Disturbing the peace since 1968

Form submitted. What a shame

Quote Originally Posted by JediNAfrica View Post
    sorry but wind is very over rated, first of all the biggest ones only produce 5megawatt at optimum wind flow. as you all know some days it blows for days other times airflow is dead. like solar it is a part time use energy source....

people in South Africa need to make a choice. either live with the increasing power issues if things don't change or build power stations of some sort either nuke or coal.
    Just to make it clear, these partial operation times can very well be calculated and taken care of in planning.
    It is apparent that solar power is a viable solution in Europe and they can harvest a fraction of the solar energy compared to SA.
    Same goes for wind chargers. Flying over the Pirenaes (Andorra as an example) you can see miles and miles of wind farms, now I compare this to the Western Cape where the North Wester is howling almost constantly.

But apart from these arguments, the impact of the hydro plant on thee water flow of the Orange river will be measurable around Augrabies. Comes the time when there is hardly a trickle over the falls these days, it would dry out completely in the case a hydro plant would be operational. Further, if this effect would be considered to save the environment, the power plant would become a part time job in itself.
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Done. I hope the bloody a..holes listen to us

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast