Just test drove manual Grand Vitara Summit 2.4

Default Just test drove manual Grand Vitara Summit 2.4

Hey All

I just tested the GV Summit 2012 and I have a question.

Gear changes seemed a little jerky and there was almost a "clank" feel and sound when releasing the clutch after a gear change ...

It did not feel that easy and smooth ..

Is this standard for these cards with the 4wd system? am i just not used to the gearing and clutch?

There was also a rattle over bumps from the back that sounded like the spare wheel cover ... is this normal?

Regards
    Greg

Hi

The gear change throw is long on the GV, but the clutch should not make a noise. The rattle could be a back seat not properly clipped in, also not normal.

I also tested a few manual 2.4 Vitaras and yes the gearchange and clutch action wasn't the smoothest. I'm sure once you're used to it you'll be able to drive around the issue though.

The rattle is most likely from one or both of these places:
    Check that the jack and tools are properly secured, they live behind a flap in the left rear side of the luggage area.
    Check that the rear seat isn't rattling on it's rearmost catches. The seat has a spring to assist folding it, so the catches tend to "float", and if there's any play that can rattle quite a bit. I just wrapped the hooks in insulation tape as a temp solution on mine, it seems to do the trick.

Before you buy that 2.4 manual, consider this: The auto is a way smoother drive, but the 2.4 has a 4 speed auto, whereas the 3.2 V6 has a 5 speed.
    Consumption wise the 3.2 is very similar to the 2.4 auto, but the 3.2 has enough power and sounds really lovely. The 2.4 can feel a bit pap, especially at altitude.
    Overall I'd say the 3.2 is a much nicer vehicle, so if I were you I'd seriously consider finding a good low mileage example over a 2.4.

Happy hunting!

Default noise

Hi

The noise when changing/releasing the clutch is not from the clutch but feels more from under the car somewhere from the middle to back ..

To try to describe it : its like something is engaging, like the drive train is getting hit with the power ... and the car jerks slightly ...

Greg ....mine was a back door that was not adjusted properly. I adjusted the round rubber stopper ...but be careful not make it too tight otherwise you will have difficulty closing and opening the door.
    I love 2.4 manual ...not the power of the v6 but I cope very well.
    Louis Pretorius
    Amarok Bitdi 4 motion ( myne )
    Suzuki Swift Sport ( vrou s'n )
    Jurgens Xcape

The Vitara is quite an old design with a very "mechanical" drivetrain, no fancy electronics here, and as such there is a fair amount of drivetrain slack, which can surprise you if you're used to something that's more refined.
    My 3.2 V6 can also be made to clonk a bit at low speed in a low gear, it's just the 3 diffs and many universal and cv joints taking up the slack.

Default makes sense

Hello

This makes sense .. does feel like some drive train slack - like i am letting the clutch out too fast. I had Hiluxes before and there was none of that.

thank you.

I checked under the vehicle and there was a silver component underneath near the middle of the car that seemed to be wet/leaky ..

Is this the transfer case that has been mentioned here?

The vehicle has 28 000 km on the clock so why would it leak?

My back rattle was from my towbar (the removable type) give it a wiggle thats an easy fix.
    The clutch well when the wife drives it it feels quite a bit rough , but I dont seem to have that problem....could just be driving style...

Quote Originally Posted by gregr View Post
    I checked under the vehicle and there was a silver component underneath near the middle of the car that seemed to be wet/leaky ..

Is this the transfer case that has been mentioned here?

The vehicle has 28 000 km on the clock so why would it leak?
    Yes that sounds like it could be the transfer case prop shaft seal leaking, a known issue on the Grand Vitara. Apparently it's due to a poor design, Suzuki really should undertake to fix this at no charge. Even so it's not a big job, around R1500.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    Yes that sounds like it could be the transfer case prop shaft seal leaking, a known issue on the Grand Vitara. Apparently it's due to a poor design, Suzuki really should undertake to fix this at no charge. Even so it's not a big job, around R1500.
    If it's the same one I am thinking of it was fixed under warranty.

Gregr the 2.4 has got a bit of drive train slack, I was also concerned in the beginning but I have learned to go through the gears smoothly without any " clonk"
    I also have a bit of a rattle from the rear, i agree with the comments above that it could be the seat, spare wheel cover or the tow bar.
    I also noticed the other day that my number plate was a bit loose, I think the double sided tape taking a bit of strain from the dusty corrugated road I've been on.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara,
    Metalian Maxi bush trailer.
    Harley Davidson VRod.