Geyser on Conqueror

Rens_tz Guest

Default Geyser on Conqueror

Has anyone had a probelm with the geyser on the Conqueror range, especially the Commander. We had a problem that when the geyser was on, and hot water flowing or not, the pipes from geyser to gardena fittings leaked - hugely and all over the nose cone! And this was whether we had both kitchen and shower connected or just one. All fittings have been checked and are sound. It looks rather like the pipes are not rated to handle the pressure from the geyser.

Any ideas and thoughts welcome

Renee

Had a similar problem, luckily for us the leek was not that bad and we did not loos a lot of water but we managed by switched the pump on only when needed.
    The problem is that the Gardina connection is not supposed to be mounted through the aluminium plat (basin and shower bracket), the Alu plat cause the Gardina connector not to tighten properly.

What I did (in the bush) was to use insulationtape at the ends of the pipes and then put the Gardina connection on. The insulationtape is basically just to thicken the pipe ends and will prevent the connections from leaking.

Ive been using this trick for the past year and only remember now that this use to be a problem will contact conqueror today as my commander is in for its service this week
    D4 V8
    Live life on the edge... you get a better view !
    Disco 3 Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STt7DmJeeVc

Rens_tz Guest

Thanks Tiaan, Very useful.

The water leak was actually worst from the t-joint between the water pump and the Gardena fittings on the aluminum nose cone … and it was the hot water hose that leaked as it actually expanded with the hot water …. As soon as the pump was turned off and the hot water tap opened then the pressure released and the leaking stopped … but then it built up again and the tap had to be opened to release the pressure …. frustrating to say the least - as we did what you did and just switched on pump when we needed the water and didn't use the geyser as we wanted to. But surely not a longterm solution

We will have to contact conqueror ourselves to see what long-term plan can be made. 'van is only just a year old!
    Last edited by Rens_tz; 2008/05/29 at 11:02 AM. Reason: font detail

matt_tz Guest

Default Commander Caravan problems

HI Tiaan ... I have just joined seeing your conversation with Renee ... have you experienced any problems with the jockey wheel on the Commander? I have found that since the jickey wheel is been used to "stabilise" the caravan it take all of the weight on the nose/front. Firstly the bearings went in the jockey wheel and now the handle that turns to lift/drop the jockey gear is also busy failing at the pin through the shaft ...

Rens I have not experience the same problem regarding the leak on the T joint
    If you want I can ask Conqueror tomorrow I will be in Heidelberg collecting my caravan from service.

Matt Luckily no problems with the Jockey
    D4 V8
    Disco 3 Video

Rens_tz Guest

thanks Tiaan, would be great if you could ask them. a little far for us just to pop in and have it sorted out

Sure, will ask them
    D4 V8
    Disco 3 Video

I had the same problem with the plumbing. Basically the Gardena fitting used through the aluminium plate does not screw on tight enough. Once the pipe heats up and becomes softer and more flexible, it starts leaking, or in my case pulled out on both sides the 1st evening we were camping. I replaced the Gardena fittings with green and yellow "Ferrari" fittings (similar to Gardena, better quality) I bought at Checkers Hyperama, also through alu but much tighter fit and problem solved. As far as the jockey wheel is concerned, it has been upgraded to a much stronger, detachable dual wheel jockey. This is retrofitable on older models. Hope it helps...

Rens_tz Guest

thanks PietH,

will try 'upgrading' the fittings and see if it solves the problem. as you say though, it seems as musch something to do with the quality of the piping as much as the gardena fitting.

will keep us updated as we go. spoke with the previous owner, and he never used the geyser on gas,which we were, but he didn't complain with it leeking then. salemanship? we'll see.

thanks all