Default Mapungubwe and Tuli Block 2014

I am planning a trip to Tuli Block with my family for a week departing next weekend. We are spending one night in Mapungubwe and then crossing into Botswana and spending three nights on a walking safari and three nights in a lodge that allows guests to do self-drive game drives on the game farm. I have a couple of question. I’m new to 4x4ing, this is actually our first trip in my new Suzuki Jimny, so forgive if my questions are amateur:

1. I understand there are four 4x4 trails in Mapungubwe, can anyone recommend any of them. As we are only going to be there for a night we will probably only be able to complete one? I have read good things Tshugulu 4×4 Eco Trail: http://go-southernafrica.com/travel/...bwes-wild-west

2. Other recommended spots to check out in Mapungubwe would also be appreciated?

3. On the Botswana side of Tuli Block where is the nearest petrol station (unleaded). Can’t find anywhere on T4A?

4. Regarding tyre pressures, I am thinking of going down to 1.3 (Suzuki Jimny regular tyres) when we stop for fuel at Alldays. I am expecting to be driving on a mix of tar, gravel and dirt from then on. Will 1.3 be ok on the tar while still softening the vibrations on a badly corrugated gravel road

5. Can one enter into Zim from the Botswana side of Tuli Block, can’t see anything on T4A?

6. Finally, can anyone recommend spots in the Tuli Block, I know it is privately owned land so access is limited in parts?

Thank you in advance for everyone's input

Ben, I can only give advice about Mapungubwe. We stayed there in April this year and absolutely loved it. Animal life is nothing like Kruger or the Bots parks, but still there to see, but the scenery more than makes up for it. We did the Tshugulu eco trail and had a ball. It's not too difficult - mainly needs high clearance and we only used 4L once I think. Takes a few hours but is well worth it. Most of the roads through the park require high clearance and 4wd in places.

You should also take a drive to the viewing platform overlooking the confluence of the Shashi and Limpopo - the scenery is spectacular.

Had a look at my Shell tourist map of Botswana and it shows fuel available at Tsetsebjwe (near the Zanzibar border post) and Bobonong. Selibe-Phikwe also has fuel. Not sure how reliable supplies are at these towns.

1.3 might be a little low for tar - maybe put the tyres to about 1.5. This will still give you traction for deep sand and soften corrugations. It's what we used mostly on our recent trip and we had no problems with tyre walls, which is the main problem if your tyres are down on a hard surface especially if you hit a pothole or uneven hard gravel surface.

Nearest border post into Zim as far as I can see is Ramogwebane/Plumtree, north of Francistown.

Sorry, can't help with the last question.

Happy planning.
    “Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.” -
W. C. Fields

Where in Mapungubwe are you going to stay? How much time will you be able to spend ?

We stayed in Leokwe for one night and arrived around midday. The way from the entrance to the camp took its time. We made the round trip in the eastern part, spent some time at confluence lookout and the tree top walk. The pool was a temptation, too... confluence lookout and tree top walk were so nice that we went there again the next morning before leaving.

What I want to say is, depending where you stay and due to your arrival time, the possibillities for driving around may be limited. I cannot recommend any 4x4 trail there but suggest to do the lookout and the tree top walk if you stay in the eastern section

Quote Originally Posted by Mabe View Post
    I cannot recommend any 4x4 trail there but suggest to do the lookout and the tree top walk if you stay in the eastern section
    When we were there in April, we wanted to do the tree top walk, but it was closed due to the flood damage. Not sure if it has been rebuilt. We were very disappointed.
    “Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.” -
W. C. Fields

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

1 night Mapungubwe is not enough ....

We did the tree top walk in October 2013 and it was almost rebuilt-concerning the flooding in april 2013.
    I suppose it should be fixed by now or has it been damaged again?

Limpopo River Lodge in Tuli is awesome, offers both camping & lodging. Not sure what your budget is like, but there's also a place called Wild @ Tuli, a tented camp built on an island in the middle of the Limpopo - beautiful spot.

Both places have websites, check them out.

Not sure where you plan to cross in to Bots, but when we did Mapungubwe & Tuli a couple of years ago, we crossed at Platjan and filled up in Alldays in SA before crossing the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabe View Post
    We did the tree top walk in October 2013 and it was almost rebuilt-concerning the flooding in april 2013.
    I suppose it should be fixed by now or has it been damaged again?
    It was badly damaged during flooding in Feb/Mar this year. We were told they would not be rebuilding it.
W. C. Fields

Thanks Gillied for the up to date information!